Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Beginning

My journey as a writer started lifetimes ago. My father told me stories as a young child, and while he didn't live to see me become a published writer, he was my inspiration. I spent many a day, writing stories and illustrating them, then lovingly binding them with heavy paper and ribbon. I still have a number of those one of a kind hand-crafted treasures.

Recently, I had the immense pleasure of attending another MuseOnLine Writers' Conference. Lea Schizas and Carolyn Howard Johnson work together to find presenters, create a user-friendly web space and ensure the attendees get so much material, it takes a year to process it all. The amazing part of this enterprise is that it's offered for free. Check out the website http://www.themuseonlinewritersconference.com/ Registration information should be posted soon. If you are at all interested in writing, this is the place to go.

One of my "resolutions" from the conference was to put more effort into marketing myself, my books, and my writing. Starting this blog is one way I hope to focus my writing and share some of my learning with others struggling to perfect their craft.

I retired in January 2008 from a career as the office manager of our county district attorney. The job was stressful and cut into my writing time significantly. My goal as a retiree was to get back to the enjoyment I find every time I sit down, close my eyes, and envison a new story. Here, then, starts the journey, side-tracked by too many years working for a paycheck.

6 comments:

  1. Look at that... my mom not only has facebook and myspace, but now she has a blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world. I found your post on the museconferenceboard group. I will add your URL to my blog roll on http://vivianzabel.blogspot.com

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogging world! You'll get a lot of support on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Penny... Congrats on the new blog. I added a link to your blog on mine. Cheers girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Penny! Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Penny--your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete