Thursday, November 6, 2008

Flash Fiction




Recently at the Muse Conference, one of our homework assignments was to write a piece of flash fiction. This is something I'd never attempted before and found it way more difficult than I thought it would be. First I went back and looked at some shorter pieces of fiction I'd written, and I attempted to change them into flash fiction. That wasn't working, so I thought about what I could write that would be powerful, short, and tell a story. This is what I submitted to the group:

Oscar

He ran outside.
Hair blew back from his face and sloppy grin.
He pictured himself big like the others.
It never entered his head.
He was too small for the truck to see him.
Tires squealed.
A pool of blood formed around his furry little head.
His four legs twitched slightly and were still.
A spark of puppy life gone in an instant.

This was a difficult year for us with our animals. We lost our 11 year old Dalmatian/Labrador dog to cancer in the early spring. We bought Oscar, a sweet little Lhasa Poo, in June. He was hit by the truck in September. Finally, two weeks ago, we lost our dear cat, Jack, to kidney failure. It's hard to lose members of our furry family, but it was, for me, cathartic to write the above piece about Oscar. Try it yourself. Sometimes it's easier to write about our pain than to talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. Penny,
    Your post brought back memories of when our puppy named Trouble was hit by a car and killed. I think sometimes our pain from loss is what shapes us. Our current dog, Copper is suffering from cancer. I think I might try writing something about the two of them. Thanks

    Joy aka Zebee, or is it the other way around?

    ReplyDelete