Friday, February 27, 2009

Procrastinating, It Isn't All Bad

Can you make procrastination work for you? This past year, I wrote an article on how to make procrastination profitable. (See Absolute Write and Visions.) We all are guilty. We all find ways to procrastinate.

Do you sometimes sit at your computer and realize your office space is a mess? How can you work in all that chaos. Surely your muse will be happier if you move this book to the bookshelf and organize that pile of papers in your file.

Oh, and when that blank screen stares at you, do you suddenly realize you haven't vacuumed the house or mowed the lawn?

Then, of course, there are the animals and kids. Did you spend enough time with them today. If not, surely, writing should come later. After all the kids will grow up and move away and the animals have a limited life span.

Still, even when you're procrastinating, you can be thinking. Use time away from your computer to re-energize yourself. A walk with the dogs can clear your head, and allow you to think about the path your character needs to walk. Taking time to play with your children may help you come up with a new craft or recipe idea. Even spending time on Facebook can be profitable if you've learned to network with other writers. Ask them for an opinion on something you're writing. Seek out expert testimony for your next article.

Sometimes those few minutes of procrastinating can give you the boost you need to restart your creative engine. Don't feel guilty. Use that time to get your muse back into your life.

6 comments:

  1. Have you been spying on me the past few days? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you guess? Keep in mind, I was there too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny,
    I'm another procrastinator lately. It's this chapter that is driving me crazy. I have to write about a Sweet 16 Party and can't come up with an idea. It has to be a little over the top. Do you have any ideas for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago, at my sweet 16 party, a boy I didn't know showed up. To this day, I'm not sure who invited him, or who he knew that was at the party. But we ended up dating for over a year. He was a delightful young man and to this day, I consider him my first real boyfriend. Maybe something in your own past could spark something. I'm not sure what you mean by "over the top." With today's kids, it could be anything from huffing gasoline to strangulation to get high.... I rather like the sweetness of youth from years past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By "over the top" I mean a very themed party that includes decorations, the outfit, etc. all themed. Maybe riding in on an animal or having an ice sculpture of a favorite character, etc. I've seen this on TV, but wondered if you had any ideas. I appreciate your taking the time to write about that beautiful story. Did you ever write anything about that? My own past is not the ideal for culling those kinds of ideas. My own Sweet 16 was with 3 other girls and took place in the foyer of my apartment at my mother's dining room table. She catered it and the highlight of the afternoon was her jello mold.:) Not exactly over the top.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum, you might want to do some research on the Sweet 15 parties held for Hispanic girls. I've seen some photos and write-ups in various magazines, including National Geographic. Talk about over the top - they're like debutante balls. You might find some ideas there. So, you might have ball gowns and long white gloves, a romantic kind of setting. What could be more romantic than turning 16?

    ReplyDelete