Friday, May 8, 2009

Interview with Kristie Lee Maguire, author No Lady and Her Tramp




Interview with Kristie Lee Maguire, author No Lady and Her Tramp



I'd like to welcome Kristie Leigh Mcguire today. She's agreed to answer some questions about her book, No Lady and Her Tramp, and her writing. She has also kindly offered a free autographed print copy of No Lady and her Tramp to one of my readers. Just leave a comment and your email address, and Kristie will randomly choose someone. She will contact that person by email and arrange to send the book.

1. Kristie, why and when did you start writing?

While living in Japan in 1997, I found it very difficult to find books to read that were written in English. This situation was intolerable to me. I am an avid reader and have been known to resort to reading cereal boxes if nothing else was available. Have you ever tried to read a cereal box written in Japanese? It was not a pretty picture. I began writing my own books just to have something to read. Since the romance genre was what I loved to read, that is what I decided to write.

2. Tell us about your writing process - especially as it pertains to
working with a co-author.

Writing with a co-author was a very unique experience for me, totally different than writing on my own. It was a very enjoyable process for both Mark and me. We did not outline the story. We played it by ear the whole way through the manuscript. I would write a chapter and send it to him as an email attachment. He would “feed off” what I had written and write his own chapter, then send it back to me. We repeated this process for the entire manuscript. No Lady and Her Tramp went in directions that neither of us would have ever ventured on our own as a writer. We sparked each other’s imagination.


3. Where did you and Mark meet and how did you decide to write this
book together?

Mark and I have never met in reality. We only know each other in the virtual world. We both belong to the same writers’ group, NUW (Not the Usual Way), which I founded in 2001 for independent authors. The members at NUW were discussing the possibilities of writing with a co-author and who of the group would they like to write with if they could do so. Mark and I decided that we would be a good author team. I write romance. He writes action/adventure. No Lady and Her Tramp is the results of the combination of our individual talents and genres as writers. As they say, “The rest is history.”

3. How did you come up with the idea of writing about life in a trailer
park?

One of the members of NUW, author Janet Elaine Smith, said she lived in a trailer park and started telling the rest of us about some of the happenings of her neighbors in the park. Mark and I picked up on her remarks and decided to pattern our story about the wild antics of people who lived in President Park Trailer Court in Grapevine, Kentucky. We even named our trailer park President Park after the trailer park where Janet lived. Janet is actually the person who gave the title of No Lady and Her Tramp to our book.

4. Tell us about any message in the book or why you felt you needed to
write this particular story.

No Lady and Her Tramp is an adult romantic comedy. There is no deep underlying message in this book unless it would be, “Don’t get mad! Get even.” No Lady was written for fun, as fun. It was written to make people laugh.

5. You have written in your bio that you are "from the south." How did
you research the setting for your book?

I am from the South; born in Mississippi, raised in Louisiana, and called Alabama home for many years. Can’t get more Southern that that! Hasn’t everyone heard the cliché about the South being one big trailer park? Not so but I didn’t have to go very far to do research on trailer parks.

6. What motivates you?

Deadlines. I work better under pressure.

7. How can people purchase your book?

No Lady and Her Tramp is no longer available in paperback edition but it is available as an e-book at Fictionwise (http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook82207.htm) where it is currently listed at a 50% discount and as a Kindle version at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/No-Lady-and-Her-Tramp/dp/B001R4CPFG/ref=sr_oe_4_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241311709&sr=1-4) where it is currently listed at a 20% discount.
The purchase link for my other books, Affairs of the Heart, Desert Heat, Cabin Fever, and Emails from the Edge (The Life of an Expatriate Wife) can be found at http://www.kristieleighmaguire.com/Books.html.


8. Do you have any web sites where people can learn more about you?

My website is http://kristieleighmaguire.com.

My Public Profile Page at Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kristie-Leigh-Maguire/62709471714?ref=s.


9. What are your plans for the future?

I am currently working on Ring of Fire under my pen name of Kristie Leigh Maguire and The Daughter of a Preacher Man, and What’s Love Got to Do With It? under my real name of Margie K. Tovrea.

Other than that, and promoting my current works, I plan on liming on the beach near my home in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands after I go back down in September.

I would like to take this time to thank you, Penny, for the great review for No Lady and Her Tramp and for doing this interview with me. You’re the best!

Thanks for stopping by and giving my readers a chance to know you and your work.

14 comments:

  1. Every time I read an interview, I learn something new about the person. I'm not sure I could write with another person--it would be interesting :-) Kristie, your writing is so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat interview, Kristie, but I can't say you pulled any surprises. Still, I guess I know you about as well as anybody. It was great fun working with you and Mark on No Lady and Her Tramp. (I did the edit.) It's definitely a "one of a kind" read.
    Janet Elaine Smith, author

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this interview. While I have successfully collaborated on many creative projects that involved writing, I have never done anything remotely close to what you described here. I think it's fascinating that it not only worked out for you -- but so well. I also think that a trailer park is a great venue for a story. Good luck on all of your future projects!
    Best wishes,
    Lisette Brodey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read a bit of Kristies writing and it is good. With friends like Janet and Joyce, you're in great hands. Now if I can get my blog listed here...

    Anyway, this sounds like a book to read since I spent many years in a trailer park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, Janet, Lizette and Ron, thanks for stopping by and commenting. I know Kristie will be pleased to see you all here visiting. She's quite the creative writer. Ron, nice to know you'd like to be listed. I will add you to my blog list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have received an email from someone who wanted to post here but couldn't get their comments to 'stick' so I am posting it for them.

    I own a copy of No Lady and Her Tramp. Hilarious, with a surprise ending!
    Nice interview and review.
    Joan Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  7. I received another email from someone who couldn't get their comment to stick so I am posting it for them.

    I enjoyed reading your interview and the review of your book No Lady and the Tramp. I hope I am in the running to receive a copy (paperback) of it.) Now I want to read it! I thought the way the book was written as co-authors who never met but emailed back and forth was interesting. I'm glad the book was a success.I also think Janet's naming the book was great and using the name of her Trailer Park was a novel idea.

    In Love & Light
    Myrna Lou Goldbaum
    Palmist/Psychic/Author
    www.myrnaloupalmistry.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for coming over, reading, and commenting Janet, Joyce, Ron, and Lisette! Much appreciated. I really enjoyed doing the interview with Penny.

    It was such fun writing No Lady with Mark. I've never had so much fun writing a book as I did with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another email to me from someone who tried to comment and couldn't.

    "No Lady and Her Tramp" is one of the funniest books I've ever read!
    Great interview, Kristie. Great questions, Penny.

    Best,
    Nina M. Osier
    http://ninaosier. 50webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to leave a comment. I don't know why so many people had a problem posting their comments. That's rather discouraging....

    My thanks again to Kristie for stopping by and visiting with us. She'll be letting us know who will be the lucky winner of the autographed copy of No Lady and Her Tramp in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a great book. I'm glad you experienced a successful collaboration. My first one wasn't so pleasant.

    Best of luck!

    Cheryl
    cg20pm00(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for having me at One Writer's Journey, Penny! It was fun. :)

    I'll put the names in a hat and have hubby draw one out. I'll post back soon with the winner's name!

    Kristie Leigh Maguire

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband has pulled the name out of the hat and the winner is... drum roll please ... Lisette Brodey!

    Lisette failed to leave her email address but I googled her and found her website with a contact listing and have emailed her the good news.

    Congratulations, Lisette! You will soon own one of the few remaining paperback copies of No Lady and Her Tramp that is left in the world ... and autographed at that! I hope you enjoy the read. :)

    Thanks to everyone who commented on my interview and the review of No Lady and Her Tramp.

    For those of you who did not win but would like to purchase No Lady and Her Tramp, it is available as an ebook at Fictionwise and as a Kindle edition at Amazon.com.

    And again, thanks so much to Penny for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Lisette! You will have fun reading No Lady and Her Tramp.

    Thanks to everyone who stopped by and left a comment. This has been fun, and I enjoyed spending time both reading Kristie's book and getting to know more about her through the interview.

    ReplyDelete