While I'm searching for a good place to call home on the Internet, I'm also looking to see what I might want to publish on my web site.
Some of the ideas I've been considering are:
1. A biography. It looks as though most authors include information about themselves. Some use a chatty approach, while others have a more professional take on it. Still, it does seem to be a way for your readers to get to know more about you.
2. Awards. Any awards which might have been earned including contest entries, etc.
3. List of your books. This is, of course, the most important for a novelist. What books have you written? Where can they be purchased? What can you tell your readers about those books.
4. A list of articles. This seems to vary according to the type of writing an author does. Since many of my articles are writing related, this might be a good tool for me and something people might come back to read. These could be excerpts or links to other sites where the work is still posted.
5. A list of short stories. Again, this could be links or excerpts.
6. Photos - people seem to like color on the web pages. Including author photos and cover art for books is always a good idea.
7. A blog. Rather than maintaining two blogs, apparently there is a way to link an existing blog to a new site.
8. Links - A lot of authors include links to other web pages. Depending on the type of writing you do, you might want to link to pages about the middle ages, or paranormal events.
9. References - People stopping by the web site might appreciate knowing what's on an author's book shelf. What reference books do you use or links to sites like the Chicago Manual of Style or other grammar sites.
10. Book reviews - If you like some of the reference books you use, it might be good to include some reviews of these books.
Tabs to take a reader through the web site would obviously be useful. Are all of the above necessary? Probably not. I still need to check out some more sites to see what I like and what I don't. It also might be useful to see if there are classes available for building a web site.
Let me know if you have any ideas.