Sunday, June 14, 2009

So Slow

As I mentioned the other day, I've been working on editing a collection of short stories. It's going much slower than I had hoped. Even though the collection has previously been published, I've decided to change some of the stories. The new publisher specializes in fantasy, sci fi, and horror. The original collection while containing some of those types of stories, also had some which were purely romance.

While going through the stories, I have found errors, both typos and grammatical. Many of these stories were written at the beginning of my "professional" career. I'm pleased to see that I've improved some since then, and I'm able to catch and change things. Still, the process is tedious. No one likes to edit.

A while back I read a post about how important it is to let your story sit for a few days before final edits. I can see the truth in this now as I reread my stories before sending off to the publisher. After sitting for several years, I can detach myself more readily than I can from a fresh story.

This has reinforced my belief that not hitting that send button as soon as you've finished your story is an excellent practice. Get in the habit of setting your story aside. The longer the story, the longer you should let it sit. A short story might sit a week, a novel should sit at least a month. When you read it after a period of time, you are more likely to catch those small errors that slip through at the early stages.

Happy editing.

2 comments:

  1. Penny:

    Good luck on your stories. Your advice in this column is the BEST ever! Hitting SEND as a reward for finishing a project isn't ever a good idea. Delayed gratification is definitely in order here -- you are so right!

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your commenting and I'm glad that I've been able to offer some useful advice to my readers.

    ReplyDelete