Saturday, August 15, 2009

Writing Every Day

On August 9, 2009, Hope Clark wrote an editorial in her newsletter, Funds for Writers, (http://www.fundsforwriters.com/). In her editorial, Hope talked about not writing for five days because she had company, was busy, etc. She writes for a living and five days without writing was, for her, a bad thing. I've heard this sentiment from a lot of other writers who write for a living. Writing is their job, and so they write, five days a week, sometimes seven. They will write four, eight, ten hours a day. They do this because they have to pay their bills. They also do it because they love to write.

I love to write too, however, I've never been able to sit down and write every day. Somehow life always got in the way. I'm one of those writers who doesn't write for a living. Instead of making myself write every day, I've often set monthly goals for myself as to how may queries or articles I'll submit every month. This method works better for me.

Devon Ellington is another very successful writer who considers writing her job. She devotes time every day to her craft, writing, marketing, networking, blogging, submitting. She once wrote to me "I don't have the luxury of writer's block. I just sit down and do it."

When my children were younger, I tried to be more devoted to my craft. I can recall telling my daughter I would play with her "later." When later came, she'd be busy doing something else. I regret it now that she's grown. Since I was writing because I enjoyed it, not because I was making my living doing it, I could have written "later" and played with her "now."

Now, I'm retired, I believed I would have a lot of time for writing. Unfortunately, life still gets in the way. It's a good thing I'm happy with writing whenever I have the time and not feeling stressed if I don't get to it on a daily basis.

I used to have a hard time telling people I was a writer, even though I had been published in numerous magazines and on-line. Now, however, I do tell people I'm a writer. What about you? Can you call yourself a writer even if you don't write every day? This is something each of us needs to decide for himself or herself.

4 comments:

  1. Penny, what a thoughtful post! To respond to your question, I've been a professional business writer for quite a long time, although my roots were on the creative side. I've never had a problem telling people I'm a writer. Most folks really perk up - "Have I read anything of yours". "Well, not unless you're reading American Health Sciences or Electric Light and Power, or CIO or ComputerWeek, etc.". I need to find time away from writing to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jeffrey for not being afraid to call yourself a writer. I've heard from too many non-fiction writers that they don't feel like they're writers until they've written a novel! So sad... Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good if you can write every day, but sometimes the only thing I do write is my blog or something on Facebook because too many other things interfere.

    You are a writer if you write--no matter how often.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, thanks for stopping by. I completely agree with you and that's what I keep telling all the novice writers with whom I come in contact.

    ReplyDelete