Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Blog Talk Radio

Tomorrow, Thursday, September 24th will be a milestone for me. I am having my first ever live interview. Barbara Ehrentreu will be interviewing me on her new Blog Talk Radio Show - Red River Writers Live - Tales from the Pages (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/RedRiverWritersLive/2009/09/24/Red-River-Writers-Live). Also on Barbara's show will be Virginia S. Grenier, author, editor and publisher. Ms. Grenier is the founding editor of Stories for Children Magazine (http://storiesforchildrenmagazine.org/default.aspx) and author of the children's story Babysitting Sugarpaw. (http://vsgrenier.com/BabysittingSugarPaw.aspx)

I'm honored that Barbara wants me to appear on her show, but honestly I'm more than a bit worried. I'm one of those writers Hope Clark refers to as a "shy writer." I've always been hesitant to speak in public and perhaps one of the reasons I gravitated to writing was because I could write more comfortably than I could speak. It should be interesting talking with Barbara about my writing, even though my voice might crack and my hands will get sweaty. Fortunately, she was kind enough to send me the questions in advance so I won't be caught completely off guard. We'll be talking about short story writing, which is what most of my fiction writing is.

Part of being a successful writer these days is being able to market yourself. You can't depend on your publisher to sell your books or make your name a household word. You have to be willing to go to book signings, host a table at a conference, and, yes, talk live on the radio. Barbara has offered me an opportunity. While I was hesitant at first to do this, I do understand the value. I'm amazed at how many published writers there are these days. With the opportunity for self-publishing, eBooks,online publishing sites like Smashwords (http://www.smashwords.com/), and of course traditional publishing houses, it's more important than ever to market yourself and your work.

If you have an opportunity tomorrow, join Barbara, Virginia and me at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/RedRiverWritersLive/2009/09/24/Red-River-Writers-Live. I hope to see you then.

6 comments:

  1. You'll do great, Penny. I'll try to listen in. What time?

    Bev

    http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bev, I'm not sure what time zone you are in. It's being aired at 2:00 p.m. Central, noon Pacific Time. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny!

    You'll do great. I'm also one who tends to prefer hiding behind the scenes (hence...I was a TV producer for ten years!).

    I'm assisting Barbara on the show and running the chat room! I look forward to learning more about you!

    All the best,
    Lori
    www.loricalabrese.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, thanks for the vote of confidence. Fifteen minutes and counting down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Tweet about your first blogtalk interview caught my eye. (Thanks for the Follow on Twitter, by the way.) I've been asked to be interviewed on an author-friend's new blogtalk radio show in a couple month, and I feel the same trepidation. Don't like public speaking either, but am trying to conquer that. I told her yes. (I'm not even sure what blogtalk radio is!) I hope to find time to follow your link and see if I can still hear your interview. That should give me an idea of how blogtalk radio works. Thanks for taking the lead so I can learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dianne, good luck with your interview. It went much better than I anticipated. What I did learn is - don't use speaker phone! I did and you can hardly hear my responses unless you turn the volume of the tape up very loud. Sigh.... Live and learn. It was fun and I would certainly do it again.

    ReplyDelete