Saturday, November 7, 2009

Read It Out Loud

Today, I read Hope Clark's latest Funds for Writers newsletter. In it, she wrote an editorial listing things one should do to make their writing improve. While her thoughts were not new, they are ones which should be remembered. Briefly, she mentioned reading your work out loud; making a print copy instead of reading on the computer; take a break from the work and look back at it later; read your printed copy someplace other than your work area; use a thesaurus; and edit one area of your project at a time - e.g. first grammar, then sentence structure, then voice, etc.

What struck me as a great idea, and one I didn't know existed, was the possibility of having your work read back to you when there is no one around to listen. There exists a web site, www.readplease.com. Here you can paste your manuscript into the provided blank, then sit back and listen to your work as it is read to you. If you're like me, you may be shy about reading your "baby" to someone else. Yet, I've learned the importance of hearing your work read out loud. Here is a way not to feel intimidated by reading to someone else, but the experience is greater than simply reading (or whispering) the words to yourself. Try it and see.

Thanks, Hope, for this tip.

6 comments:

  1. How interesting. I'll have to check on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, though I tend to just ask my friend to have a read and she tends to read it to me, emphasising every error and then repeating the line just so I realise how ridiculous it sounds. She likes my work but not enough that she sugar coats my mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassandra, that's fabulous that you have someone who can give you unbiased advice and be a "sounding board." Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, interesting! I'm excited to see how it works. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, thanks for stopping by. Let me know after you try it out.

    ReplyDelete