Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Review Just Breez by Beverly Stowe McClure






REVIEW
Just Breeze
By: Beverly Stowe McClure

This review is based on a review copy provided by Beverly Stowe McClure in exchange for the review, all reviews being my own opinion without guarantee or assumption of liking or disliking.


Just Breeze is a delightful read for middle age students. Although the main character is female, there are enough male characters that even boys would not be disappointed. This is a tale of finding oneself, dealing with the imperfections with which one is born, making and keeping friends, and knowing when to keep a secret and when to divulge it.

Ms. McClure has a youthful voice and tells this story in the first person. It's easy to be drawn into the book and to endure Breeze's trials right along with her. The reader can identify with Breeze's out of control hair, her shiny braces, big feet and bean pole body. While Breeze sees herself as everyone's "buddy," and the person everyone sees when they need something fixed, she is more than that. It takes the new kid in town to see beyond her tangled red hair and to give Breeze a new way to see herself.

This story is more than just about a girl meeting a boy. It is the tale of kids with problems. One comes from a home where the parents are always working, another lives with a grandparent, and one has a secret identity. While Breeze's family seems "normal," her siblings are older twins which leaves her feeling like the odd one out. These are typical kids struggling in school, trying to fit in with their peers, and learning about honesty and relationships.

Although this story deals with some difficult issues, it is an easy read for a middle grade student. The tone is light and peppered with humor. Ms. McClure knows how to weave a tale that will keep the reader turning the pages to see what happens next to Breeze and her friends. I enjoyed it Just Breezeand recommend it.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for a super review, Penny, and also for hosting me on my Virtual Tour today. You are the best.

    I'll be happy to answer any comments of questions anyone has.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review of Beverly's book. I loved this one and feel it is one of her best yet.

    I hope your readers will check out http://virtualbooktours.wordpress.com/ between December 1st and December 16th to learn more about Beverly and Breeze.

    Thanks again for the lovely review.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure, Bev. Just Breeze is a fun, but thought provoking book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review, Penny. Bev did create a very believable character and story. I recommend it as a perfect gift for youngsters from reading age to adult. Many of us can recognize ourselves in characters in the book.

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful review. Do you think it's easier or more difficult to write in 1st person?

    Karen Cioffi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could see Breeze having more adventures. But then that's my reaction when I like a character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vivian, I agree, Breeze is very likable! Cheryl, Karen, and Vivian thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    Karen, I'll pass your question along to Bev. I'm sure she'll be back to give you an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Cheryl. I appreciate your compliment. Breeze is one of my favorite characters. She's still in my mind.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your recommendation, Vivian, and for liking Breeze. :)

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Karen and Robyn. I love writing from 1st person pov. It puts me in the character's head so I can see how she thinks, feels, and would react to a situation. Third person works for me too. A story just seems to dictate which to use. I prefer 1st though, I think. Thanks for stopping by.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I'm back. Sorry for the delay, but my hubby is taking a lot of my time. He had surgery last week, got out of hospital Thursday, and can't drive for two weeks, so I'm his chaufer to dialysis, doctors, etc. Will be back later.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  12. Question: Am I the only one having trouble with the "black box for twitter?" It covers up the password so I can see only half of it. Is my computer crazy? I've been having Internet troubles too. Help.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete