Thursday, January 6, 2011

Interview with author John Podgursky



Today my guest is Damnation Books author John Podgursky.  He's here to discuss his book The One Percenters.

Tell me a little about your book.
     In The One Percenters, Ed Caine loses his wife to a serial killer.  During the grieving process, he develops a theory that natural selection is obsolete.  Given the right money and social status, the weak-gened can survive and breed.  It is the duty of a select few, Edward included, to eliminate those who shouldn’t procreate, and thus return balance to the world.  The book challenges social and religious differences among us all, and is what I call a primal thriller.  It's available at amazon.com or bn.com in paperback or e-book.
What gave you the idea for this particular story?
      I was thinking of the elite class in our society, and the fact that many of them wouldn’t have survived in a more primal, strength-favoring time of human history.  This led to the idea that evolution is losing its main weapon, and – pop! – an idea was born.
Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
    I am a part-time writer; I can’t pay the bills with it.  I write only when I'm inspired – sometimes I won’t write for weeks, and then I’ll work on a project for days at a time.
When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
     I won a contest in first grade, so it was early on.
What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
    I just like to make people think a little, to reevaluate the priorities of life.
Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
  I like thrillers, especially the psychological variety, because I like to explore the primal elements that make people tick.
What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
  The discipline to write filler necessary to connect loose ends.
How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
     We are both dark-minded and cynical of human nature, but Edward acts on it.  I am more conscience-grounded, for better or for worse. 
What about your book makes it special?
     I like the honesty of my book.  We all think/feel many things that we are afraid to admit publicly because society is buttoned so tightly, and my book attempts to show you that it’s okay to address your id.
What is your marketing plan?
      I market for fun.  I’m not going to get rich as a writer, so I don’t stress over marketing.  Whenever I meet someone with a possible “in” for me, I ask them to use it (readings, published ads, etc.).
Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
     It’s so trite, but write from the heart.  If you hide behind a fa├žade, it will show.




Excerpt: 
    
     Maybe I’ll meet up with all of the great minds of the past, and they will turn to me and say in unison, 
    “You had it right.”  Maybe there will be a flavor better than vanilla.  And perhaps, just perhaps, I’ll get another crack at this world.  Maybe you will too.  And perhaps, just perhaps, I’ll come back as your son or daughter.  Maybe then you’ll understand what true love is all about, when I look at you and you look at me and we enjoy a moment of comfortable silence.
     And maybe years from now, Doctor, as I sit beside you on your deathbed far away from here, I will turn to you and say thanks for bringing me into this lovely world, and bring a smile to your face.  For that is all I could ever want.
 This book is available in paperback at bn.com <http://bn.com/> and amazon.com <http://amazon.com/>, and as an e-book at damnationbooks.com <http://damnationbooks.com/>.
  


2 comments:

  1. Holly, thanks for stopping by. It's been awhile since John was a guest, so I'm glad you found this and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete