For at least four or five days I will be without access to my computer. We are having our floors refinished, and we've been told we can't walk on them. Of course, there's also the problem of odor from the finishing products. Bottom line, I won't be able to get into my office or on my computer while the refinishing is taking place.
Here's what I've decided I can do to keep tabs on my writing projects.
1. My WIP, Ghost for Dinner - I've printed out the manuscript as far as I've gotten with it. I will take this time to go over it with a highlighter and red pen. I can also add to it in pen and transcribe this later into the computer.
2. My 2nd WIP, A Writer's Primer - I've printed out this manuscript as well. It is ready for editing. As with GFD, I will take my highlighter and red pen and edit. This second is comprised of previously published writing tips, but many of them are years old. I will need to update URLs and change references to publishers no longer in business. I will also consider other topics for inclusion in the completed work.
3. My 3rd WIP, Silly Poppy - I've printed out this picture book manuscript and will work on it, using my red and blue pens and yellow highlighter.
4. I have two reference books, geared toward children's authors. I plan to spend some time reading these books. I've intended to do more research in this area for some time, but always get side-tracked.
5. I have a blank notebook and a supply of pens. While my handwriting isn't the greatest, I still know how to write. When those creative urges strike, I will be ready to jot down my thoughts. These may take the form of notes, rather than completed works, but I will be ready.
What would you do if you were without your computer for a week? Internet goes down. Your computer crashes. Life happens. Tell me your thoughts and how you would handle a similar situation.
I'm hoping I can sneak in a few minutes here and there on my husband's computer. His office is on the floor we've already finished. Mine, however, is now on the targeted floor. I will be away from my computer for a week, so if your comments are not posted right away, do know they will be when I return. See you in a week.