Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Review Book Marketing in the Digital Age




Review Book Marketing in the Digital Age
By: Yvonne Perry
Published by: Write On! Publishing
ISBN 0-9753870-7-3

This review is based on a review copy provided by Yvonne Perry in exchange for review, all reviews being my own opinion without guarantee or assumption of liking or disliking.

Book Marketing in the Digital Age, Online Promotion Made Easy is a step-by-step guide to help authors market their books online. Ms. Perry includes a table of contents to easily guide you to the section you need. She begins with “What A Web Site Must Have To Compete In Today’s Online Marketplace.” Other sections include “Getting Traffic to Your Blog or Web Site,” “Other Ways to Promote Your Book Online,” “Using Video for Book Promotion,” “Author Interviews,” “Podcasting,” “RSS Feed/Syndication,” and “Summary.”

I found this manual to be very user-friendly and written in terms even the most computer illiterate person will understand. For example, within the past few months, I created my first Web site to promote my own writing. With Yvonne’s book, I learned how to enhance traffic to my web site. Just one simple step gave me increased exposure. She suggests testing your meta tags and descriptions by typing in your domain name at http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html When I went to Seocentro and entered my domain name, I found I didn’t have enough meta tags. Using examples provided by Ms. Perry, I determined how to add the proper meta tags to my Web site, thus increasing traffic and expanding my exposure on the Internet.

One component of a Web site that confused me is a media package. Ms. Perry breaks this down and gives concrete examples of what an author should use to create this marketing tool, such as a cover letter, author interviews, book reviews, etc. With the information I gleaned from this section, I will be able to put together a media package to better promote my own work.

Have you considered starting a blog as a way to promote yourself? Yvonne walks you through the steps including what to post, how often to post, and what other things besides your posts to have on your blog.

Also included in the book are numerous links to useful web sites, such as a http://www.pressreleasegrader.com where you can have your press release analyzed. Ms. Perry also suggests other media directories where you can post your press releases for free.

With so many social networking sites now available, Ms. Perry does not neglect to mention the benefits to be had by utilizing these sites to promote your work. She has information on Ning, MySpace, RSS feeds, LinkedIn, Squidoo, and Twitter.

I found Book Marketing in the Digital Age to be a useful tool and one I will keep handy as I further develop my own marketing strategies.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book I want to read. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanne, You're welcome. I'm finding the book quite useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good reference book to use as you develop an online presence.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two sites seem like they'd be very helpful resources. I'll check them out.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you found the information helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Helen. Hi, Susanne. Thanks for leaving a comment on Penny's blog. Let me know if you have questions I can answer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen, Thanks for highlighting what looks like a wonderful book. So many books on book publishing are already dated as a result of the new digital age, so I look forward to reading the information in this book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tisha, Glad you could stop by. This is certainly a book worth putting on your shelf.

    ReplyDelete