Friday, March 26, 2010

Interview with Author Kelly Brigham




Today my guest is author, Kelly Brigham. Ms. Brigham wrote Demon Legacy which I reviewed earlier in the week. Kelly has agreed to talk about her writing process today.

1. How long have you been writing, and how did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve only been writing for a couple of years. I’ve been reading horror since I was about ten years old when I first picked up Edgar Allen Poe. I loved it. I wanted to try writing after reading The Stand by Stephen King for the hundredth time.

2. Are you a full-time or part-time writer, and how do you organize your writing time?

I write part time right now. I organize my writing time around family. Sometimes early in the morning, sometimes late at night. There have been times where I’ve worked all through the night and slept all the next day. When I am in the middle of a book, I become obsessed and will practically live down in the cellar, which is where I write, amid the cobwebs and wet stone walls.

3. What draws you to the horror genre?

I love the horror genre because it sets my imagination on fire, pumps the adrenaline through my veins, and allows me to express the darker side of my nature.
4. As a woman, what do you feel when you write about women being tortured and raped?

In Demon Legacy, when I wrote those scenes, they actually scared me. It was what I pulled from the back of my mind, deep and dark. My worst nightmare.

5. What kind of research did you do before crafting Demon Legacy?

I researched sociopathic behavior very extensively, read psychology books, articles and watched movies that revolved around sociopaths. Lewis was the product of all that research, he is a true sociopath, including his attachment to Monica. I researched pagan religions, ancient Babylon and demon lore. The research on witchcraft was fascinating.

6. What is your process for world building?

My process for world building is probably unusual. I begin world building around the characters. I formulate the character’s bios first, then outline a storyline/ plot and then begin working on the characters more closely. My bios are pretty extensive. I think that is the most important thing. The characters have to be likeable or hate-able. You have to be able to connect with the characters as an author; they are the tools of your expression.

7. How did you determine the rules of magic which you use in Demon Legacy?

I researched paganism, witchcraft, Wicca and many ancient religions. The magic inn the book is a basic mixture of all those ideas. I looked at magic as a gift.

8. Do you write in any other genres besides horror? Which do you prefer and why?

I write some erotic romance under a pseudonym, but not much. I definitely prefer horror, it moves me. Horror fascinates me. Horror movies, books, anything scary. I love it.

9. Do you have an agent and do you feel an agent is necessary? Why?

No, at this point I do not have an agent. At this point for me an agent is unnecessary. I don’t feel that I have had enough success to warrant an agent. When I am offered a more complicated contract, I will probably pursue that avenue.

10. What is your marketing strategy for Demon Legacy?

My strategy is pretty in line with what Damnation Books has done. I am on Facebook and MySpace. And I have my own website.

11. How did you find your publisher and how long did it take from acceptance to publication?

Submit, submit, submit. That’s how I found my current publisher. It was several months from acceptance to publication. Don’t forget the editing process, which can be very grueling. It takes time. My advice for anyone looking to get published is to research publishers, be careful you don’t submit to a romance publisher if you are writing horror. Also, each publisher has different guidelines, you gotta pay attention to that

12. Any tips for writers wanting to write horror?

First, make sure you love horror, you will have to go to some very dark places. Don’t be afraid to go to those dark places in your mind where all the horror is crouching, waiting to be written. And do NOT write bloody gore and violence solely for the sake of it. It must be integral to the telling of the story, it can’t BE the story.

Kelly, thank you for being my guest today.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent interview! I want to read this now and horror isn't my usually my favorite. Love the tips about the writing/publishing process as well. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, so glad you could stop by. I also find these interviews with other writers helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great interview, Penny. You asked some great questions.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete