Monday, March 22, 2010

Review Choices Meant for Gods






REVIEW
Choices Meant for Gods
By: Sandy Lender
ISBN-10: 1-59507-166-0
ISBN-13: 978-159507-166-8
ArcheBooks Publishing Incorporated
www.archebooks.com


This review is based on a review copy provided by Sandy Lender in exchange for review, all reviews being my own opinion without guarantee or assumption of liking or disliking.


Choices Meant for Gods is the first book of a planned trilogy written by fantasy author, Sandy Lender. Ms. Lender is relatively new on the scene, but has already garnered an impressive following of dedicated fans. She can now count me as one of those fans.

A couple of months ago, I reviewed the second book of the series, Choices Meant for Kings. You may recall I was impressed with both Ms. Lender’s writing and the quality of her world-building. I regret now that I didn’t read the books in order. Choices Meant for Gods does an excellent job of setting the background of the story. Here the main characters, Amanda Chariss Derdriu, Nigel Taiman, Hrazon, and Master Rothahn are introduced to the reader. The land of Onweald is vividly brought to life through the author’s creative talents. Here, too, the reader learns why Drake pursues Chariss, what a geasa’n can do, and what the prophecy holds for Chariss and Nigel. The reader also learns of the growing attraction between Nigel and Chariss, but is left wondering who the young dragon is that visits Chariss in the hours between sunset and daybreak.

Ms. Lender weaves a vivid tale, peopled with characters made all the more real by their short-comings and their human desires. The reader is caught up in the tale from the first page and is compelled to keep turning pages to learn more of Chariss’ battle against Julette, a goddess who has turned to evil and Drake a sorcerer intent on taking over all of Onweald. Will Chariss succeed in her quest? Can a twenty year old woman fulfill her destiny as protector of the active god of Onweald, Master Rothahn? Will Nigel find a way to share his dark past with Chariss without alienating her? You will have to pick up a copy of Choices Meant for Gods to find the answers to these questions and others. You won’t be disappointed if you are a fan of fantasy. I know I wasn’t.

17 comments:

  1. Interesting review of the book. Thanks for sharing Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Penny! I'm still thrilled to read this and see your kind words. I'm off to tell the world that you've enjoyed Choices Meant for Gods!

    From Sandy Lender
    "Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny--I second this review. Sandy Lender's Choices trilogy is an outstanding and refreshing selection in the fantasy realm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanne, Thanks for stopping by. This is a most enjoyable fantasy series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy, It was my pleasure. You're a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara, Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you're enjoying Sandy's series. I'm eagerly awaiting the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Authors - Thanks for commenting. I'm pleased you enjoyed the review. This is a wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, thanks for stopping by. It's always good to "see" you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Katie, Susanne, and Authors, it's a joy to see new names and faces at the blog today. Penny's review of Choices Meant for Gods made my day when I first read it! I was thrilled to know it would be shared with the cyberworld.

    From Sandy Lender
    "Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara,
    It's great to see you on the Blogosphere today. And thank you for your kind affirmation of the Choices Meant for Gods review. I just got back from doing a workshop on world-building at the GCCRWA conference up in Pensacola so Penny's comments about my world-building are making me smile. You guys rock my fantasy world!

    From Sandy Lender
    "Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandy, Thanks for stopping back and checking up on comments. I love it when people who's books I review care enough to keep track.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...you ain't seen nuthin' yet, Miss Penny! Bwuahahahahahaha! I'll be back tomorrow to see what followup questions folks have after my insane rambling answers to the interview. :)

    From Sandy Lender
    "Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandy, let's just hope folks come on back. It was a fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing the review Penny and Congrats to Sandy on what sounds like worthy praise! This is a book I have been interested in. I am really learning to appreciate good world building fantasies! Now I'll check out the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Martha, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. If you like fantasy, you'll also enjoy this series.

    ReplyDelete