Thursday, April 29, 2010

Interview with author, Chastity Bush





Today, my guest is a new MuseItUp Publishing author, Chastity Busy. Chastity's book, A Taste of Terror, is scheduled for release as an eBook on December 1, 2010.

1) Tell me a little about your book.

My latest book, A Taste of Terror, is a paranormal romance with a twist of mystery, as I try to give all of my stories. It is full of love and romance and sass. I have high hopes for this particular story.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?

I love to write paranormal and so when the characters developed, I could not help but let the story lead me in that direction.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

I am a stay at home mom. My kids are in school all day and that allows me to write during the day and take care of any business that needs taking care of before I have to go into mom mode at the end of the day.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

When my husband suggested it. I have always been an avid reader and when my husband asked me why I had not tried to write a story of my own, the seed was planted. That was two years ago, and I have been writing ever since.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

I hope that my writing will make people feel good. When I pick up a book it is to escape into a whole other world. That is what I want people to expect when they pick up one of my books. I hope that people see that I have worked hard and that they are happy with the outcome of all that hard work.

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?

I like to write all genres. At the moment I have a contemporary, historical and paranormal and in December A Taste of Terror will be released. I have to admit that paranormal is my favorite genre to write. You can do anything with the characters and take the story to a new realm if you are not happy with regular old earth. It is so fun to get lost in the story and with a paranormal that is exactly what happens.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

Writers block. I find that if I am stressed, I cannot write my own name correctly much less add to a manuscript. The only thing that I have found that helps is stepping away from the story for a while. Read a book, take care of the house or just watch television. Anything other than trying to write.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

Honestly, the only thing that I can think of that is close to a real life event is from my first book, Guarding Temptation. The heroine is terrified of everything from spiders to elevators. That is me to a T. I am afraid of just about everything. Other than that, I have tried to stay away from anything that has happened in real life. I think that it makes the story more interesting.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

I try to put a little bit of myself in each heroine of every story. Some are afraid of the same things as I, others are sassy as I have been told I can be and others are just terrific at being themselves no matter what other people think.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

I didn’t really have to do any research for this one. That is the best part of writing a paranormal. You can create or change anything. You don’t have to stick to the stereotypical vampire or werewolf. You can change them, make them be however you want.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

Writing violent scenes do not bother me as much as writing a sexual scene does. I think that I get more embarrassed than anything else. There are readers who are like, “Wow, that scene was hot! How did you come up with that.” And I can’t help but to blush. But when someone says, “That part where you had Cole rip the guys head off was awesome!” I feel pretty good.

12) What about your book makes it special?

I like to think that it is special because it is 100% original. I try to stay away from what anyone else has done. Who wants to read a book that is so much like a story that they have already read? And sad to say, that happens a lot.

13) What is your marketing plan?

I promote my bum off. I have a Facebook and MySpace where I promote to as many people as possible. I hold a monthly giveaway where I give away a copy of one of my books and a personalized tote bag filled with goodies and most of all, I work as hard as I can doing whatever I think will help sell books and help my publishing house grow including doing interviews, guest blog spots and sending off for reviews.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?

I am everywhere. You can find me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/chastitybush, MySpace at www.myspace.com/chatitybush and on my official website http://chastitybush.webs.com. I also have author pages at www.manicreaders.com/chastitybush, www.authorsden.com/chastitybush and on my publishers website http://museituppublishing.com.

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

My first word of advice is to always research who you are submitting to. Sad to say but there are some publishers out there who are only interested in helping themselves by taking advantage of your hard work.
Second, don’t worry what others may think of your work. Don’t worry that it is too erotic or too violent. Take chances and have fun.

Chastity, thanks for being my guest today and sharing your writing journey.

16 comments:

  1. What a great interview! Thanks, ladies. I love hearing about other moms who write whenever they get a chance. Having the bathroom to yourself is hard enough, more or less writing a novel.

    Congratulations on your book, Chastity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny! This was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rena, thanks for reading and stopping by. It is interesting how writers manage to find time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chastity, it's my pleasure to host you and to learn more about you as an author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chastity not only is a sweet gal but I am sure readers will love her upcoming book. We're just tickled pink she submitted to us.

    Great interview, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lea, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lea, if you keep talking about me like that I am afraid my head will swell! If it wasn't for Penny, I would not have heard about Muse!

    Thanks Rena! It was great hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chastity, I'm just glad the timing was right. A Taste of Terror deserved a home, and I'm pleased it's with Muse It Up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This interview makes me want to read A Taste of Terror even more than I did before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be sure to stop by to meet the editors and authors on May 3rd and you may win a copy. Go to http://www.themuseonlinewritersconference.com/ChatRoom.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks again Penny. I am so excited, I have high hopes for this story! I will be at the live chat on May 3rd as well! I can't wait to talk to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chastity, Thanks for letting us know you'll be at the May 3rd event. I hope to be there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chastity and Penny, thanks for this interview. I love to hear about the writing process. Looking forward to reading your book, Chastity!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Remember be sure to stop by to meet the editors and authors on May 3rd and you may win a copy. Go to http://www.themuseonlinewritersconference.com/ChatRoom.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great author interview Penny!

    Chastity, it was nice learning more about you and your writing. I wish you much success with your book.

    Look forward to "seeing" you on May 3rd at the Meet the Editors and Authors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susanne, Glad to hear you'll be stopping by the chat to meet Chastity and the other Muse authors and editors.

    ReplyDelete