Thursday, June 3, 2010

Interview with author Tisha Morris





Today, my guest is author Tisha Morris. She wrote the book, 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home. I reviewed this book on May 20th, here on my blog. Today Ms. Morris has agreed to talk about her writing process.

Penny: Please tell us briefly about your book, 27 Things to Feng Shui Your
Home.


Tisha: 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home was inspired by a Chinese proverb that says, “If you want to change your life, move 27 things in your home.” I love this proverb because it speaks to just how interrelated the energy is between our self and our home. As a feng shui consultant, I have witnessed with my clients and myself that when you make changes in your home, correlating changes will take place in your life. I wanted to give readers the opportunity to experience the benefits of making changes to their home, but without being overwhelmed. For that reason, the book is easy to read, understand, and apply.

Penny: How long have you been writing, and what made you decide to become a
writer.

Tisha: When I was in 8th grade, I knew I wanted to be a writer. I later decided that becoming an attorney would be the best way to give me writing credentials while making a decent living. What I didn’t plan on was not liking the practice of law.
So for the ten years following my first law job, I went on a self-discovery journey -- from interior design school to teaching yoga -- to figure out what I really wanted to do from my heart instead of my head.

Now those ten years have come full circle resulting in all aspects of myself – the attorney, the interior designer, the energy healer, and the author – coming together as part of my life purpose.

Penny: Are you a full-time or part-time writer, and how do you organize your
writing time?

Tisha: Writing provides a great mix to my typical work day. I tend to get bored easily so my typical day usually involves a blend of seeing clients, blogging, graphic design, networking, and meditation. I wish I could say that I have a structured writing time, but being a moody Cancer, the weather seems to dictate my writing schedule more than anything else, unless, of course, there is a deadline looming!

Penny: What type of research did you do for your book?

Tisha: The information in my book came together through a hodgepodge of resources – from my experiences with clients to my background in interior design and knowledge of feng shui. I do reference several of my favorite feng shui authors as well. Like most people in service-related businesses, you learn more from your clients than anyone. I have therefore used several of my clients’ stories as examples in the book.

Penny: What is your process for writing a book from the first idea to the
final submission?

Tisha: Writing a book involves a delicate blend of the right and left brain. At times, you have to get out of your own way and just let the information flow through you. Other times, it takes some real analytical skills to bring it all together.
For me, the big concepts come intuitively. And then my left brain loves to step in and organize things logically. Having a clear, logical organization was of utmost importance for this book in order to convey such a seemingly vague concept as “energy.”

Once you have your idea or overall concept, then the next step is to create an outline or skeleton for the book. From there, it is a matter of filling in the skeleton. Because I am such a ‘completionist’, it is really important for me to set up bite-size goals to keep me going with the book. Similar to clearing clutter in your home, you want to work in baby steps. Instead of being overwhelmed with the whole house or whole book, you work one closet or chapter at a time.

Penny: How did you become involved in feng shui?

Tisha: I arrived at Feng Shui through the backdoor, so to speak. After not feeling fulfilled with practicing law for many years, I followed my passion and love for the home by obtaining a Fine Arts degree in Interior Design. Soon after that, I trained and then taught yoga and became interested in the healing arts. While it would seem that interior design would be the logical prelude to Feng Shui, it was actually through my experience as an energy healer. I wanted to heal spaces the same way we heal the mind and body. After all, it is all part of the same energy soup. And so my love affair with Feng Shui began. Over the last three years, I have witnessed some amazing transformations in people once the energy in their home is balanced through Feng Shui.

Penny: Is this a self-published book or traditional publishing, and how did
you choose this type of publishing?

Tisha: The publisher for 27 Things is Turner Publishing and my book is part of their Good Things To Know Series. As a new author, I was eager and grateful to have the assistance of a traditional publishing company with established connections. Just like entering any new profession, I am constantly learning with wide eyes and open ears as to how the publishing world works, although it seems to be ever-changing. With so many publishing options these days, everyone has a forum through which their voice and information can be heard and spread. It’s just a matter of finding the modality that best fits each person and/or project.

Penny: What is your marketing plan for your book?

Tisha: My marketing plan involves three circles: the closest circle which includes friends, family, and clients; the next circle being those folks who share an interest and passion in feng shui and the healing arts through the internet and social media; and then the widest circle being the mainstream population through traditional media sources.

Penny: Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Tisha: My website/blog – www.mindbodyom.com – has a wealth of information on feng shui, the healing arts, and my services, including links to purchase my book. I also have a feng shui iPhone app where you can interactively apply Feng Shui to your home, office, desk, or anywhere. Just search “Tisha” in the app store.

Penny: Do you have any tips for writers wanting to write non-fiction?

Tisha: Find something you are passionate about. Add your unique knowledge or perspective on it and start writing. You have to be in the vibration of writing before you can ever be published. I had been writing a different book related to feng shui for three years before this book ever came along. But this book would never have manifested but for the energy, passion, and intention I had already invested for the other book.

Tisha, thank you for being my guest today and sharing your thoughts about writing and your work.

Be sure to follow the rest of Tisha's blog tour at the following blogs:
June 4th
• Maxine Thompson
http://66.49.193.35/ArtistFirst_Maxine_Thompson_2009-11-23.mp3
Book Review
@safari61751

June 5th
• Yvonne Perry,
http://yvonneperry.blogspot.com/
Book Review
@writersinthesky

June 6th
• Riehl Life - Janet Riehl
http://www.riehlife.com
A Writer’s Guide to Feng Shui Your Workspace
@Riehlife

June 7th
• The Shift Guru - Barbara Joye
http://shiftguru.wordpress.com/
Q&A
@theshiftguru

June 8th
• Real life Spirituality Article - Akemi Gaines
http://reallifespirituality.com/
What Do Ascension and Clearing Clutter Have in Common

June 9th
• Angels Among Us - Leilani Schmidt-Graham
http://www.bbsradio.com/theusc/the_usc.php
Live Web Radio!

June 10th
• Wicked Thorn and Press - Wendy Ely
http://wickedthornandroses.blogspot.com/
Q&A


June 11th
• Your Book Your Self - Laurel Marshfield
www.YourBookYourSelf.blogspot.com
Writer's Guide to Feng Shui Your Workspace
@BookEditorLM

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading the review of the book.

    Found the interview interesting. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanne, glad you could stop back for the interview. I always find it interesting to chat with other writers about their work.

    ReplyDelete