Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Review Afterlife





REVIEW
AFTERLIFE
By: Naomi Clark
Published by Damnation Books, LLC
www.damnationbooks.com
Digital ISBN: 978-1-61572-0053-8
Print ISBN: 978-1-61572-052-1

This review is based on a review copy provided by Damnation Books in exchange for review, all reviews being my own opinion without guarantee or assumption of liking or disliking.

I'm a big fan of paranormal urban fantasy. I am particularly fond of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books and Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books. I have found in Naomi Clark's book, Afterlife, a new author to follow. I was hooked from the first page and found myself wanting to ignore my other responsibilities so I could keep reading. Written in the first person, Ms. Clark quickly draws you into her tale and keeps you reading page after page. If you enjoy urban fantasy, you're going love Afterlife.

Yasmin Stoker is a wraith. She's lived for over 600 years and has never found another creature like her. She lives by keeping under the radar, drifting from place to place, and I do mean drifting. She exists in the normal world as a human, but can turn to mist and does to survive. Yasmin Stoker eats souls. Not just any souls, but she eats the souls of Revenants, who are newly created, ravenous vampires. Yasmin hates Vampires with a passion.

Unfortunately, Yasmin's world is thrown into chaos when she sees a young girl snatching healthy human males from the human world into the Pale World. Yasmin is ordered by her Lich Lord, a terrifying immortal, to stop a human PI who has arrived in town to find out what happened to a missing girl. Yasmin soon realizes her girl is the one Ethan Banning is seeking.

When she meets with Ethan in an attempt to get him to move on, she finds herself siding with him in an effort to find out why the young girl is killing mortal males. Are the Lich Lords involved? They seem to be, but Yasmin can't figure out how. Meanwhile, Yasmin is trying to have a normal relationship with Alex, a likeable and good looking teacher, who happens to be writing a book about a strange cult who seeks immortality. Then again, what's normal when her best friend, Emma, is half-human and half-succubus?

Yasmin struggles to keep Ethan safe and the knowledge of the Pale World away from him while also attempting to keep Emma from killing, Seb, a human and the love of Emma's life. Durante, an Immortal Vampire enters the picture and complicates matters. Yasmin has a strange attraction to him, while at the same time detests him and what he is.

Follow Yasmin as she tracks the clues through both the human world of Shoregrave, and the Pale World where dwell ghosts and ghouls and other more dangerous creatures. Will she learn what the Lich Lords are up to? Will she find happiness with Alex? Can Emma overcome her heritage and live as a human? Will Ethan learn about the Pale World and find out Yasmin isn't human? Read Afterlife to learn the answers to these questions and more. I wasn't disappointed, and I don't think you will be either.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds quite interesting. Thanks for bringing this book and author to my attention.

    Warm regards,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although this is not the type of book I read, it sounds like it is well-written and I hope it is well-received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna and Katie, thanks for stopping by. Sometimes, I'm surprised by the books I enjoy reading. This one, however, is exactly the type of book I will pick up for my own enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like paranormal, will give it a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tribute, I know I wasn't disappointed, and I love paranormal.

    ReplyDelete