Thursday, May 20, 2010

Review 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home





27 Things To Feng Shui Your Home
By: Tisha Morris
Published by: Turner Publishing Company
www.turnerpublishing.com
ISBN: 978-1-59652-567-2

This review is based on a review copy provided by Writers in the Sky Creative Writing Services in exchange for review, all reviews being my own opinion without guarantee or assumption of liking or disliking.

In 27 Things to Feng Shui Your Home, author, Tisha Morris, takes the reader on a step-by-step journey to finding peace and harmony on a daily basis.

A quick look at the Table of Contents shows most steps involve cleaning clutter. For example, there are chapters on cleaning your closet, your basement, and your hallways and corridors. Simple tasks like changing your wall art or painting a room or a doorway can enhance your sense of tranquility.

Ms. Morris begins her book with an introduction and a Chinese proverb: “If you want to change your life, move 27 things in your home.” Following this proverb, she shows you how to rid your life of clutter both physically and spiritually. According to Ms. Morris, it is almost impossible to “properly feng shui a house…until the clutter has been cleared.”

This is an excellent resource for the person looking to make a positive life change. I recall a time when a good friend of mine had an interior decorator come to her home. My friend had been unhappy and needed a change. The decorator was schooled in the art of feng shui and suggested moving some furniture and painting one wall. The difference in my friend’s life was astounding. Up to that time, she had been unable to allow herself a much-needed divorce. By clearing the clutter and giving her wall a new coat of paint, my friend was also able to give herself permission to let go of her husband.

Ms. Morris points out in her book that when you eliminate clutter, you are also shifting energy at a much deeper level. By getting rid of something old, you are allowing yourself to let something new into your life. One thing she suggests is creating a “vision board.” She walks you through the steps of taking a large poster board and slowly adding the things you desire. By placing the completed board in a prominent place, it works on your subconscious. You may be pleasantly surprised by the positive things which come into your life as a result.

In addition to physical space clearing, with feng shui, it’s also important to clear the negative energy from a room. According to Ms. Morris, the simple task of burning a smudge stick (mostly made from sage and available in natural food stores) around the room will help to dissipate the negative energy which tends to gather in corners and behind furniture.

Ms. Morris completes her list of things with a simple plan to integrate feng shui into your own life. The three most important things to remember are “1. Work in baby steps. 2. Be present. 3. Have an intention.” While I have long appreciated the benefits of meditation and yoga, I plan to try several of her suggestions to ensure harmony in my own home.

Be sure to follow Ms. Morris blog tour at the following blogs:

May 21st
• Chelle Cordero's Promo Page - Chelle Cordero
http://cce613.xanga.com
Book Review
@ChelleCordero

May 22nd
• Julie Achterhoff's Blog
http://earthwalkr.wordpress.com
What does the movie Avatar have in common with Feng Shui?
@erthwlkr

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I definitely need to finish decluttering around here. I know I feel much better every time I get rid of some of the clutter that has taken over my life.

    I remember watching a show about Feng Shui and it seemed to really make a positive difference in the people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanne, I know what you mean. When I read the book, I wanted to throw everything out and start again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Penny. This book really motivated me to declutter my entire house. I'm still looking for things to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvonne, thanks for stopping by. This seems to be everyone's thoughts as they look to Feng Shui to get organized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Penny, thanks for highlighting some of the not so traditional approaches to feng shui that Tisha includes in her book. My husband stole my copy already and is working on his vision board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vonnie, I enjoyed reading Tisha's book and learning some new techniques. Hopefully your husband will give you back your copy when he's done, so you can create your own vision board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good article about Feng Shui Tips. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leo, thanks for stopping by. I know I found Tisha's book filled with useful tips.

    ReplyDelete