Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Interview with author Rie McGaha






Today, my guest is author, Rie McGaha. Rie's latest fantasy book is Ancient Blood. This is due to be released by Noble Romance Publishing on May 31, 2010.

1) Tell me a little about your book.

Ancient Blood is the sequel to Blood Line and tells Ganda’s story. This shape shifter adventure takes the reader to ancient Egypt, back to where it all began.

Book Blurb: When Ganda decides it’s time to live again, she must travel to Ireland to say a final good-bye to her long, lost love Colin, and then to Egypt where she lost him. But when a mysterious man approaches her with a message, Ganda must call on her uncle, Garan, and friends Josh and Jessie Kaine to help her unravel a two thousand year old mystery she may not want the answers to.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?

When I wrote Blood Line I had no plans for a sequel, but readers fell in love with Ganda’s character and she wanted everyone to know her story, so Ancient Blood was born.




3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

Organize? I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question. Lol I am a full-time writer, editor, review editor/coordinator, and it just all kind of works.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

I get asked this question a lot, so I’m sorry if my answer sounds clich├ęd…being a writer is who I am, it’s not what I do. I’ve told stories since before I could write, and I’ve written stories since I could make letters.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

Pure enjoyment and a little titillation. I don’t write to make a statement or for any PC reason, there’s too much of that all ready. When I pick up a book, I wan to be entertained, so when I write, I write to give readers a little break from the real world. My biggest statement is use a condom!

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?

That’s a funny question! I write erotic, romance, adventure, shape shifter, suspense, humor, time travel, historical, contemporary….and sometimes it’s all in the same book!

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

The toughest part is edits. I am a freelance editor, but when it comes to my own work, I’m the worst editor in the world! I do love edits though, and I love tough editors.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

Well, if you listen to my daughter, Lisa, she will tell you she skips the sex parts because it’s like “eeewww, my parents did that!” My response is if we were doing all that, I wouldn’t have time to write!

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

Oh yeah, ask anyone, I’m the sweet, understanding type….NOT. No, they’re very little like me, maybe what I want to be, but definitely not me.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

A good portion of Ancient Blood is set in ancient Egypt, so I couldn’t exactly go there for research, but Discovery has an awesome on line library full of videos, stills, and virtual pyramids I was able to use.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

The violent scenes aren’t difficult at all. I watch ID all day, CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. so there’s lots to inspire me, plus I worked in the prison system for many years and have lots to draw on. The sex scenes are ubber difficult for me. I’m old and just don’t remember that much! LOL

12) What about your book makes it special?

I hope it’s the fact that what I write isn’t the normal things you read in books today. I’ve lived quite a life and have lots of experience, and I hope that gives my books a bit of a different twist.

13) Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Just Google me and I’m everywhere! Or go to my website www.riemcgaha.com

14) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

Learn your craft, polish your work, and above all, get a really thick skin. Rejections hurt, but they are a very real part of writing. Also, learn how to promote yourself. That was the hardest part for me, but as you can see, I’ve over come that fear!

Thank you so much for having me on your blog, Penny. And I’d also like to remind everyone that I have a contest to celebrate the release of Ancient Blood. There are a couple of ways to enter: First, go to www.riemcgaha.com/ancientblood.htm and scroll down below the excerpt, after reading it of course! Lol Or go to http://www.cheriedesues2.com/naughty-novelists.html enter by leaving a comment. I’m giving away free reads, an Ancient Blood T-shirt and poster!

Rie, thanks for being my guest today. It was a pleasure getting to know you and more about your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment