Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Interview with author Emily Pikkasso






Today, my guest is MuseItUp Hot author, Emily Pikkasso. Emily's book, The Oak King's Daughter is a hot spicy romance and will be available January, 2011.

Thank you, Emily, for joining us today. Before we begin, why don’t you tell everyone a bit about your book?

Dara, the heroine, is the daughter of the King of the Oaks. She is in love with her father’s mage, a handsome, young man named Tinne. Her father disapproves of the alliance, he demands that Dara abandon her foolish ways and marry for the good of the Oak Kingdom. Dara is less than impress, to say the least, so she takes matters into her own hands. What she doesn’t know is that Tinne has an agenda of his own. If you want to know the rest, you’ll have to wait until January when The Oak King’s Daughter is released.

Where did the concept for the book come about?

It is based, very loosely, on an old Welsh myth. The Oak King rules the summer months and The Holly King, the dark winter months. Twice yearly, the two kings battle for the hand of (depending on the version you read) the queen, or over a daughter. The victor rules with the lady in question at his side until it is time to battle again. Tinne means Holly in Celtic Tree Ogham.

How long did it take you to finish, from concept to final product?

This one didn’t take very long, as it is fairly short. About two months, between writing and then re-writes.

Are there any authors that have influenced your own writing?

Charles de Lint, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey to name a few.

Do you have any favourite place where you feel your Muse is more apt to come and play while you write? Or perhaps you listen to music? If so, what do you listen to?

I listen to Celtic music, harps, pipes, fiddles and The Traveling Mabels and Ian Tyson.

As a writer, what is your greatest fear?

That no one will want to read my books. My husband complains that I need to write a “Doug’s Notes” (similar to those old Coles Notes we used in the dark ages, back when I was in high school) so that he will know what the heck I’m talking about. Magic creatures are beyond him !


What normally occupies your desk while writing?

Tea mug (a huge one!) A picture of girl holding a white dragon that says “May your heart always be young and your dreams live forever” by Jody Bergsma, a large triplet crystal with amazing lovely energy, a date book, papers, God knows what else!

Do you have any new projects that you are working on?
If so, what are they?

A Christmas romance which is quite amusing and I have a couple of other romances started. I am also working on a collection of Irish myths and legends.

What tip would you offer to a new writer who is just beginning their submission journey?

Believe in your story, if don’t think it’s wonderful, who will? Write, re-write, edit and then get people you trust to read and make suggestions.

Please tell us where to find you.

My website is : http://www.nancymbell.ca
I am on Facebook at http://facebook.com/NancyMBell
My author page at MuseItHOT! Publishing is: http://museithotpublishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=82

If you want to add anything please feel free to do so.

I just want to say thanks for having me today. It’s been a pleasure chatting with you.

Emily, thank you for stopping by and discussing your writing and your new book.

11 comments:

  1. Great interview. I often wonder where people come up with these ideas. I guess I don't have as much of an imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview Nancy/ AKA Emily. Looking forward to the release of The Oak King's Daughter...and thank you for giving me a bit more info about Tinne...didn't know his name meant "holly"...tells me things are never what they seem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting interview, and I look forward to reading the Oak King's Daughter when I have some spare time. It's a pleasure to be contracted with Muse it Up, and Emily is just one of the many great people I've met through the experience. I look forward to the day when my name is listed as someone who inspires other authors. Hey, I can dream, can't I? *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Penny and Emily. I love your taste in writing music! :)

    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice interview, Penny & Emily. I love to hear how poeple write and what's on their desk!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think most writers have a fear that their work won't be appreciated or read.

    It was nice reading how your story idea came about.

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welsh folklore -- a terrific place for good background. I remember sometimes catching the BBC Welsh Home Service on radio when I was young and listening entranced to the flow of the language. Couldn't understand a word.

    I will look for The Oak King's Daughter (tho' I don't read erotica) and expect to understand every word.

    Chris H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Emily, I like the sound of having two mythical kings fighting over me!

    Sounds like a great idea :) I look forward to the release.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for stopping by and commenting. I had the fun of doing a "pre-publication read" of The Oak King's Daughter, and I'm confident it will gain Emily a lot of fans clamoring for more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have that much room on your desk! wow! lol. great interview with some interesting info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larion, thanks for commenting. I'd be afraid to answer the question about what's on my desk! I think of myself as organized until I see all the piles...

    ReplyDelete