Monday, August 30, 2010

Interview with author Kevin Hopson



Today, my guest is MuseItUp author, Kevin Hopson.  Kevin's book, World of Ash is scheduled for release January, 2011.


Kevin, tell me a little about your book.





World of Ash revolves around two friends who have to hike through a volcanic ash cloud to reach their destination. The conditions prove to be difficult, and an unforeseen entity lurks deep within their trek.

What gave you the idea for this particular story?

The volcanic eruption in Iceland earlier this year spurred on the idea. It created the apocalyptic-type setting I was looking for.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

I am a full-time writer now. I try to set aside a good chunk of time in the early-to-mid afternoon, as my mind tends to feel sharpest this time of the day. I will sometimes write at night, too, though most of my progress seems to be made earlier in the day.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

When I was in college. Though I ended up getting a degree in finance, I often received praise for my writing and enjoyed doing it. Even when I worked in finance, I distributed investment newsletters to my clients as a way of feeding my writing craving.

What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

I hope they will see and experience the joy I have in telling a story.

Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?

I am most interested in science fiction, dark fiction, horror and the paranormal. For whatever reason, I have always had a fascination with these genres. I was an avid comic book reader growing up, and I still read them to some extent, so I am sure this rubbed off on me over the years. I love to be creative in my ideas and storytelling, and science is a great platform to work from. 

What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

The hardest part relates to me being a perfectionist. For example, it can take me an hour to write one page, or even a few paragraphs, of a story. It is not writer’s block that causes this, but rather my obsession with getting every word right. Also, sometimes I have so many ideas going through my head, it is difficult for me to get them down on paper. Whenever I find myself spending too much time on a certain part of a story, I will either take a break from writing, or I will speed write in an attempt to lay it all out there.

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

Yes. In World of Ash, my protagonist’s incident in college was taken from my own personal experience. Like him, I was heartbroken over a girl and neglected my studies. However, I am happy to say that I eventually found my true love, and I graduated with honors when I got back on the college track. 

How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

He is a little like me in the sense that he loves science. We are both very ambitious, too. However, his personality is quite different from my own. He is very outgoing and more of a leader, whereas I tend to be more reserved.

What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

I did extensive research to make sure all of the gear, technology and science was as accurate as possible.

Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

I have never written a sex scene or anything remotely close to it. I do incorporate violence into some of my stories, though. It does not bother me as long as it serves a purpose and is not strictly done for shock value. I have yet to write anything explicitly violent, but I guess it is always possible depending on the subject matter.

What about your book makes it special?

I think the unique setting and storyline. I have never come across a setting like this in any book or movie. Plus, there are so many different elements connecting the storyline. It seems new and fresh to me.

What is your marketing plan?

Well, I am doing everything I can to get the word out, whether it be through my blog site, Facebook page, book trailer, readers groups, promo flyers, press releases, interviews, reviews, etc. I am sure some other ideas will pop into my head as time goes on.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Blog site – http://www.kevinhopson.blogspot.com
Facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/World-of-Ash/128940093802107
Book trailer on YouTube – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q_1yd4hrW4

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

Do your research. You don’t have to be an expert on the subject you are writing about, but make sure you have a good understanding of it.

Kevin, thank you for being my guest today and giving me a glimpse into your writing life.

2 comments:

  1. most interesting interview!

    Love the premise of your book, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cat,
    Thank you for stopping by. Glad you liked the interview.

    ReplyDelete