Thursday, June 23, 2011

Interview with author Killarney Sheffield




Today, my guest is Killarney Sheffield, author  MuseItUp Publishing book, Guilty Kisses.

1) Tell me a little about your book. 
Guilty Kisses- Imagine being married to a very elderly earl then seduced, in the middle of the night by a perfect stranger who awakens your body as no one ever has before...Sound exciting? This is the position Cassandra Lamb aka Cassie finds herself in. I won't tell you more, you have to buy the book. Anyone got a garden hose or a glass of water?



2) What gave you the idea for this particular story? Many years ago I read an old book called Emeralds and Sapphires. It was a story about a nobleman who masqueraded as a thief. I liked the idea and decided to put my own spin on the tale.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I am a part time mother of 5 school aged kids. I have to really micro manage the kids and my horse breeding/training business with house cleaning and writing. I go like heck until lunch, then write from noon until 4pm when the kids get home.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
A teacher in high school entered some of my stuff in a few writing contests. She really encouraged me. Then 5 yrs ago I had the privilege living a mile down the road from Love Inspired author Carolyne Aarsen, she really encouraged me and gave me some start up writing help like pov and show not tell.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
For me reading is an escape from everyday pressures, you know the ones; kids fighting, phone ringing etc. I guess for me it is my escape to a happy place LOL!

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
Mainly historical romance. I love the pageantry of manners and custom back then. I am very un-techy, would ride my horses to the store instead of drive if I could, although I can't imagine carpooling via wagon train. LOL. Don't say this too loud but I also have a children's book currently in the production phase, all proceeds going to the Mother Tereasa Catholic School in Halkirk AB.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Definitely the tech stuff. I am comfortable running my word program, opening email and posting on my critique group but other than that I'm pretty much lost.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event?
If so, tell me about it. This is really embarrassing but yeah. The scene in my book where Cohen helps Cassie with her, um mammary gland problem, LOL. My hubby used to hold a hot water bottle on me when I got too full of milk when my first son was a preemie baby and couldn't nurse properly. Please don't call me for advice on that one. LOL.

9) How much is your protagonist like you?
 I think there is a little of me in every heroine I invent. In Cassie I think I instill a little of my naivety.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
Tons on regency England. I have 2 books in particular that I use all the time, (1) The Regency Romance by Gayle Buck, (2) The Regency Companion by Sharon Laudermilk and Teresa Hamlin. I also use 4 or 5 great internet sites.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
I love writing the action scenes as I see everything so clearly in my head. The violent scenes are pretty mild so they don't bother me. The steamy sex scenes, well... maybe we shouldn't go there LOL. Lets leave it at, I have 5 kids so obviously I enjoy that stuff, hehehe.

12) What about your book makes it special?
Wow, hum. I think I try to write a book that gets me right into the action in scene 1. Long wind ups and plot settings bore me. Also I really like some mystery and action in a story, give me something to chew on besides the steamy romance and I am hooked.

13) What is your marketing plan?
Everything and anything. I am learning as I go.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
 Right now mostly MuseItUp but I do have a blog called Melderman's Horse Guide for Writers and a homepage for my horses@ meldermanstables.bravehost.com. I am working on other sites as we speak.

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
I am a member of CC (a crit site) so I get to see lots of newbies. I try to leave them with these tips, show not tell (thanks Carolyn for instilling that one on me) tagless writing as much as possible (Thanks Kathleen E Woodwiss, her books are a fantastic example of that) and most of all don't get down when some says you will submit 30+ manuscripts before you get a publishing contract. Guilty Kisses is the second ms I ever submitted and I only sent it to a chosen few. Thanks Lea for giving me my big break, I will remember that acceptance email for the rest of my life.

Killarney thank you for being my guest today and giving us a peek into your writing life.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Penny and Killarney,
    It's fun to read about other authors. Fun interview, Penny. Killarney, I bet, you're a hoot in real life! Have a great day, both of you. Cheers,
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview, Penny and Killarney! When will your book be available? Looking forward to reading it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, thanks for stopping by. I, too, enjoy reading about how other authors write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, thanks for stopping by. As soon as we get a release date, I'll be sure to post it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Killarney, it's us who want to thank you for sending us your manuscript and taking a chance with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, the release date for Guilty Kisses (name change due to publication by same name by other author) is June/01/2011

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi all! Thank you Penny for having me back. Wow! what a year it has been! I now have a website @ http://romanceauthorkillarneysheffield.yolsaite.com and a blog @ http://killarneysheffield.blogspot.com I succeeded in getting Lawrence Gowan to lend me one of his lovely acoustic songs for the Guilty Kisses trailer (see blog or website) The trailer is currently sitting in second place @ http://yougottareadvideos.blogspot.com/ (it is #18 if you would like to vote for it). The ebook was released June 3rd and I just recieved word that the paperback will be here in July. Very excited! If you leave a comment today you enter for a chance to win a signed book!
    Also watch my blog this week for a VERY special guest author!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Killarney, that's great news. Thank you for sharing and good luck to everyone who comments.

    ReplyDelete