Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Interview with author Stephanie Burkhart



Today, my guest is 4RV author, Stephanie Burkhart.  Stephanie's picture book, The Giving Meadow,  is now available.
PENNY: Please tell me how long you've been writing and why you decided to become a writer:

STEPH:  Well, if you count my Spiderman comics I wrote when I was 5, I've been writing since. Writing is in my blood. It's as essential to me as the air I breathe. I can't deny it – only let it out. Professionally, my first book, "Destination: Berlin" was a "sweet" military romantic suspense published in 2001. Since, I've self published and now I'm working with small press companies which I enjoy. Several of my short stories have been recognized as honorable mentions in the Writer's Digest Annual/Popular Fiction Contests.

PENNY: Are you a full time writer or a part time writer and how do you organize your writing time?

STEPH: I'm a part time writer. I juggle a lot of hats. I work full time as a 911 dispatcher for LAPD and I usually do the bulk of my writing on down time at work. On my off days, I also set aside an hour or two at home.

PENNY: What influences your writing?

STEPH: My experiences. For my children's writing, my children, Andrew, 8, and Joseph, 3, inspire me, along with the children I help to teach in my church's preschool. (I help teach the 3's) For my romances, I draw on my imagination and my travels through Europe.


PENNY: Is this your first published work?  What other types of writing have you done?

STEPH: "The Giving Meadow" is my first children's book. My first book was "Destination: Berlin" in 2001. The majority of my published work is romance, but I've also been recognized for my horror, mainstream/literary, and thriller/suspense short stories.

PENNY: Why did you choose to write a children's story?

STEPH:  It choose me! –grin- I help to teach Sunday preschool at my church, Blessed Kateri Catholic Church. We call it Little Church. I teach the 3's. Every year we put on an Easter play. "The Giving Meadow" was our 2009 Easter play for the children.

PENNY: What was the process of creating this book from first idea to the final published book?

STEPH: I sat down with my fellow teachers, Shirley Chang and Maureen Dunahoo and we came up with the play. The transformation a caterpillar goes through to become a butterfly is something little children can understand. "The Giving Meadow" also goes deeper and explores concepts as sharing and friendship as well. I showed Vivian (Gilbert Zabel, Publisher, 4RV Publishing) because I wanted her feedback and she offered me a contract. It was a pleasant, unexpected surprise. I signed the contract in May 2009 (I think!) Last summer I chose the illustrator and "The Giving Meadow" was published in June 2010.

PENNY: What are your thoughts on traditional versus self-publishing?

STEPH:  There are pros and cons to each. I've enjoyed my self publishing experience, but I've really had to work hard at it. It's important to use an editor when self publishing. You have to research that along with cover artists, and marketing. It can take away time from writing. Simply, you have to put out a quality project when self publishing. You can't rush to publication and miss a step. Traditional publishers give that "guarantee" that this a quality project. Still, I've found I have to work to market the project.

PENNY: What is your marketing stragedy?

STEPH: Start local. With "The Giving Meadow" I hope to touch bases with local bookstores for a reading and book signing. I also hope to do something with the local library. I don't have the luxury of getting out there because I've got young children and limited babysitter options. I also hope to do Internet marketing with a blog tour and using such sites as Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo Groups, and Writing.com to network.

PENNY: What are your thoughts on children's writers needing an agent or not needing an agent?

STEPH: Agents are the gateway to traditional publishing. I think if you're a strong writer, and have done your research, you don't need an agent to make a sale.

PENNY: Where can people find out more about you and your writing?
BLOG:

WEBSITE:

FACEBOOK:

TWITTER:

STEPHANIE ON AMAZON:


PENNY: Do you have any tips for writers who are new to children's literature?

STEPH: Keep it easy.



Here's Stephanie's illustrator, Stephen Macquignon:



PENNY: Please give us a brief synopsis of your book and when and where it's available.

STEPH:   "The Giving Meadow" is about a caterpillar who hatches from an egg in the meadow and meets new friends along with the way. His friends learn the value of sharing and caring.

The story is now available.  Here are the buy links:

4RV PUBLISHING:

AMAZON:

BARNES & NOBLE:

STEPH: Penny, thank you so much for having me today. It was a pleasure to visit your blog.

Stephanie, thank you for being my guest.  I've enjoyed getting to know you and more about your writing.

24 comments:

  1. Nice interview, Penny.

    I love that little caterpillar. It's so sweet.

    Lovely illustrations, Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,

    You are a very busy lady. I love the concept for you book The Giving Meadow. I think I'd enjoy reading it. Good luck with your writing.

    Barri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo of you at work, Steph! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph,
    Wow I didn't know that this book came from your work with Sunday school. That's terrific.I wish you all the best with this new endeavor.

    Cindy K. Green
    www.cindykgreen.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your adorable children's book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! It was fun learning new things about Stephanie and her writing. I think all children will enjoy The Giving Meadow. The cover is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice interview. So, this is where you work--it looks very nice and spacious. Congratulations on your children's book, and I wish you great success with it.. Thanks for the link over here--
    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I stopped by. I though this was a really cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bev, thanks for stopping by. The illustrations are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barri, thanks for stopping by and commenting. It's always rewarding when I see a new reader here on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, glad you were able to stop by and read the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cindy, glad you could stop by. I enjoy seeing new readers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danielle, thank you for leaving your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susanne, it's always a pleasure to see your comments. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Celia, glad you were able to stop by and enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aidana, I'm also glad you stopped by. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Penny, forgive my tardiness. It's been a crazy morning. I have a giveaway! I have two autographed postcards for two lucky winners and one lucky winner will get an autographed copy of the book.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beverly - awww.. ((hugs)) from Caterpillar.

    Barri - Nice to see you, Sweetie.

    Beth - Yes, I'm even plugged in, listening to frequencies.

    Cindy - I really enjoyed the process with 4RV. It was very rewarding.

    Dani - thanks sweetie.

    Susanne - I love the cover, too. Caterpillar looks so cute. hehe

    Celia - Yes, it's very spacious and open. It's a nice center.

    Aidana - *waves*

    Smiles from
    Caterpillar and me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Steph, that's great news for some lucky winner.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just want to thank everyone who popped in. Congrats to the postcard winners - Beverly Stowe McClure and Barri Bryan! Also congrats to the book winner - Susanne Drazic! I'll also announce the winners on my FB Author Page. Winners, send me an email with your snail mail and I'll get those prizes right out to you.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so excited to be the book winner. Thanks Stephanie!

    CONGRATS to Beverly and Barri!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susanne, as one of my faithful followers, I'm so pleased you were a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and love the caterpilla concept.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sherry, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate seeing new names here in the comments.

    ReplyDelete