Monday, August 9, 2010

Review The Giving Meadow

Review  
The Giving Meadow
By: Stephanie Burkhart
Published by: 4RV Publishing LLC
Illustrated by Stephen Macquignon
ISBN-13 978-90-98 25886-97
http://4rvpublishingllc.com

This review is based on a review copy provided by Stephanie Burkhart in exchange for review, all reviews being my own opinion without guarantee or assumption of liking or disliking.

The Giving Meadow is a delightfully illustrated tale by first time children’s author, Stephanie Burkart.  It is a story of sharing even when those who share are in need themselves.

The story begins as caterpillar emerges into the world, hungry and curious.  He first meets frog who shares his fresh water.  Next, caterpillar meets ladybug.  She has grapes, but they’re for her family.  Poor caterpillar is hungry and ladybug decides to share.  Next caterpillar falls asleep by a log.  When he awakens, he’s bigger and hungrier.  The bee who built his hive in the log, shares what little honey he has left. Then caterpillar finds a snake in a tree.  The snake has an apple, and although the apple was his breakfast, he also shares with the hungry young caterpillar.  Soon, the caterpillar tires, spins a cocoon and disappears.  His friends worry and wait.  Suddenly, a butterfly emerges.  All of caterpillar’s new friends helped him gain the energy he needed to make the transformation.

With the aid of beautifully designed, full-color illustrations, Ms. Burkhart’s story will keep young children entertained as they follow caterpillar’s adventures.  While the story teaches the lesson of sharing, it doesn’t preach at children, but gently shows them the beauty of friendship and helping others in need.

I enjoyed this well-written tale and plan to share it with my own granddaughter.

11 comments:

  1. Penny,
    Thank you so much for reviewing "The Giving Meadow." Caterpillar sends hugs.

    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rena, thanks for stopping by. As a 4RV author yourself, you know this is a quality book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, you're welcome. I enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rena & Stephanie,
    You are both talented writers I’m happy I was able to work with the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Looks like a wonderful story. Makes me wish my kids were little again. I used to love reading to them. The caterpiller is cute. Good luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen, thanks for stopping by. I loved your illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My granddaughter is coming for a two week stay so I'm ordering this book today for her. I used to do puppet shows about a caterpillar turning into a butterfly for my daughters' classroom parties and this review brought back fond memories.

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, I agree with you. My kids are too old, but at least I can read this with my granddaughter, and I know she'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephen, you're welcome. I'm hoping, as a 4RV author myself, I'll get a chance to work with you one day.

    ReplyDelete