Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Ghosts and More Ghosts



I'm quite excited.  Over ten years ago, I wrote my first middle grade novel, Ghost for Rent.  At the time, I submitted it to regular print publishers, with no success.  I am, after all, not a well-known writer.  I felt fortunate to find a home for my manuscript with Hard Shell Word Factory, an electronic publisher.  Not only was the book released as an eBook,but it was also published in a trade paperback edition as a print on demand book.  Unfortunately, Hard Shell has changed owners, and Ghost for Rent is no longer available as a POD.  Still, with the increase in eReaders, and the ability to read books on computers, Ghost for Rent is still selling.

While I have to admit, sales haven't been overwhelming, I continue to reach a small audience of middle grade readers. I was thrilled last spring when I made a presentation to a local fourth grade class, and one of the girls raised her hand and told me she read my book.  This is why I write.  I want to share my stories. 

Ghost for Rent has received many wonderful reviews by reviewers such as Chris Speakman, Deb Hockenberry, Joyce Anthony, Beverly Stowe McClure, Nancy Sharpe and others. 

Now, I'm thrilled to say the sequel, Ghost for Lunch,  has found a home with a small independent print publisher, 4RV Publishing.  While Ghost for Lunch won't be available until September 2013, it's good to know that Wendy's story isn't finished.

Wendy is your average eleven year old girl, who enjoys writing poetry, reading Sylvia Plath, and communicating with ghosts.  It's scary, but someone has to do it.  With Halloween just around the corner, maybe it's time to download your copy to your eReader and share this fun, haunting story with your third, fourth, fifth or sixth grader.  Check it out at Amazon, http://tinyurl.com/27puzze or Fictionwise, http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8656/?si=0


Enjoy and Happy Halloween!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! Congratulations on finding a publisher for the sequel. It sounds like a fun story for kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny! Congrats on the sale. How exciting to place a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, thanks for stopping by. I'm excited about finding a home for Ghost for Lunch--especially a home as supportive as 4RV Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just one note, other than we're excited to be publishing Ghost for Lunch: Independent publishers charge authors for services; 4RV does not. We are a small traditional publishing house, not an independent publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy your book has found a home and a good one too. Congratulations, Penny. Looking forward to reading your latest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vivian, thank you for clarifying that! I'll be sure to make the proper distinction in the future. I'm afraid I've been using the terms interchangeably.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bev, thanks for stopping by. I agree 4RV is a great fit for my story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Penny. I still want to read Ghost For Rent. The sequel sounds just as interesting. Glad you found a home for it with 4RV Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Susanne. Ghost for Rent is still available for download from Amazon and Fictionwise, as well as other electronic book stores.

    ReplyDelete