Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Interview with author Lizzie T Leaf




Today, my guest is author Lizzie T. Leaf.  Lizzie has agreed to chat about her writing and her latest book.

Penny, thank you so much for inviting me today.  I hope your readers learn a little about me and I welcome their comments or questions.

Tell me a little about your book.
DEAD Memory is the 4th in the DEAD vampire series at Aspen Mountain Press.  In addition to the new H/H, a lot of the characters from prior books make appearances to support Tawny and David fight the battle against evil that once again raises its ugly head. 

Discovery of a nude male sprawled in her neighbor’s yard by werewolf Tawny Howls starts her life on a new path.  Her patient doesn’t carry the scent of human, but he wears a cross and his wounds are slow to heal which rules out vampire…right?

David Madison awakes to find a beautiful woman leaning over him, but he has a problem when she asks his name…he doesn’t know it.  Flashes of snarling, ugly creatures haunt his dreams and he can quote bible verses and words to the song Tawny hums, but nothing about his life.

What gave you the idea for this particular story?
As with several of the stories in this series, a “what if question” from a reader took me down the path of creating a story around it.  In this case it was, “What if a vampire can’t remember he’s a vampire?”

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I’m a full-time writer, or at least strive to be.  Unfortunately, I allow things to distract far too often, but am becoming better as saying “NO” to family, friends and those who want a piece of my time for various reasons.  I’m not sure I’ll ever be hard core with family though, but don’t tell them.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
As a child, I made up stories in my head to create playmates.  In school came the discovery I could put those stories on paper and earn A’s in English.  A win-win situation since I was very shy…get the character voices out of my head and positive comments from teachers…woohoo!

Becoming the next Hemingway or Steinbeck was my goal, but then life happened.  A couple of kids, a couple of marriages, jobs…you know the drill, and I became someone I didn’t know and the stories died too.  It time alone after the death of my second husband for me to reconnect with the girl/woman of my past and my stories returned with that knowledge.

What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
With the current ones, I hope readers take away enjoyment; a smile to lift their day.  In some of the future books planned in a new genre, I hope to touch their hearts and give hope.

Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
Currently, I write Paranormal Romance and Contemporary Erotic Romance.  I really have fun with the paranormal.  One I finish the next my current obligations, I plan to tackle one of the mainstream projects from my ‘ideas’ list.  It’s exciting to branch out into another genre that offers the opportunity to create more layers.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?
In addition to my website, I’m on a several social sites.
And I love to hear from readers.  My email is lizzietleaf@comcast.net

Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
As with any genre, a writer needs to write.  The putting of fingers on the keyboard or pen to paper is the way one improves.  And keep the faith in yourself.  Shut out the voice of ‘nay sayers’ and work on your craft and tell the stories you want to tell.  Also, join a writers group to help with the craft and the support.  No one understands like your passion like other writers.

Lizzie, thank you for sharing a few moments of your writing life with me and my readers.  It's been a pleasure having you as my guest.



8 comments:

  1. Penny, thank you for having me as a guest today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, nice to meet you, and Lizzie, it's always great to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Lizzie, just thought I's stop by and say hi. You new Dead book sounds awesome!

    Mark Covington

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lizzie, I'm currently reading your book Dead Done Right. It's a fun ride so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lizzie, my pleasure. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to see a new face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark, glad you could stop by. Hope you get a chance to read Lizzie's latest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cynthia, thanks for stopping by. Glad you're enjoying Lizzie's book.

    ReplyDelete