Thursday, October 28, 2010

Listen to the Ghost, Beverly Stowe Mcclure




Keeping with the ghost theme as we near Halloween, my guest today is Beverly Stowe McClure. We're talking about her teen novel,  Listen To the Ghost.

Is this your first published work?  What other types of writing have you done?

Listen to the Ghost is my first book in print. My writing ranges from contemporary to historical for teen and middle grade readers, as well as a forthcoming picture book and chapter book.

What was the process of creating this book from the first idea to the final published book?

On a visit with our son and daughter-in-law in Charleston, SC, we took a twilight ghost tour of the historic district. Our guide told such fascinating stories about some of the old Victorian houses where ghosts supposedly lived that I knew I had to write a story about a ghost. So I read books about the spirit world and learned all I could about reasons ghosts are caught between this world and the next. Soon my ghost introduced herself and told me why she could not rest. The protagonist popped up, too, and said she wanted to help the ghost, though at first she was skeptical about spirits really existing. My story began to take shape, and a couple years later Listen to the Ghost was complete. Then the task of finding a publisher started. When I discovered Twilight Times Books, I’d found the perfect place for my story. Lida Quillen, along with Ardy M. Scott, the cover illustrator, and Anne K. Edwards, editor, turned my manuscript into a lovely novel.

Where can people find out more about you and your writing?

http://beverlystowemcclure.wordpress.com
http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com




Please give us a brief synopsis about Listen to the Ghost and when and where it is available.

    Listen to the Ghost
    Twilight Times Books
    ISBN: 1-933353-51-1
    ISBN: 758-1-933353-51-7
    Copyright: 2003
    First Paperback Printing: Nov. 2005
    YA Trade Paperback

   Synopsis:

All Jade Dalton wants to do is show her paintings at Charleston, South Carolina’s, annual Piccolo Spoleto Festival, forget her ex-boyfriend with his lying lips, and prove she’s as perfect as her brother, David, though she knows that last is impossible. So how does she end up with a mischievous ghost who doesn’t want to be a ghost, a gorgeous musician who changes her opinion about guys, and a one-hundred-year old neighbor who talks in riddles?


 EXCERPT

Chapter 1

    Jade heard it again, the same musical sound that had kept her awake half the night. Someone was singing. The light, airy tune reminded her of wind chimes, blowing in a gentle breeze.
    But that cannot be, she thought. I’m alone. Elaine is in her room across the hall. David is in his. Last night, I thought it a dream, but I’m awake now, and the voice seems real, as real as my own.
    “I’m hallucinating,” she said aloud, the sound of her own voice comforting. “Nobody here, but me and my wild imagination.”
    To prove her point, Jade sat up in bed and skimmed a quick look around the room. Early morning light shimmered through the open window. White lace curtains floated lazily over the window seat. Her luggage sat at the foot of her canopy bed where she had piled it last night. She’d been too tired after the long drive from Texas to Charleston to unpack. She made a mental note to do so after she returned from the festival.
    Her paintings were stacked against the wall, next to the fireplace. The singing had ceased now. Everything appeared normal. She tapped her ear lightly. “Maybe I should have my hearing checked.”
    She swallowed nervously. “And what should I do about the prickly feeling on the back of my neck, as if eyes are watching me? Ignore it? Right. I probably ate something yesterday that caused a chemical imbalance in my system. Result--temporary insanity. So stop worrying, Jade Dalton. The festival awaits you.”

Listen to the Ghost is available at Twilight Times Books, www.twilighttimesbooks.com, at Amazon, http://tinyurl.com/yzdgujj, or your favorite bookstore can order it for you. It’s also available in the Nook at Barnes and Noble.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Penny. Happy Haloween. May all your ghosts be friendly ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev, it's my pleasure. Thank you for sharing a bit of your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Penny. Just thought I'd tell you I put the cover of Ghost for Rent on my blog, along with some others since I've been talking about spooky books for a couple of weeks.

    This is such a fun time of the year. :) I'm still a kid at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the acknowledgment on your blog. I appreciate the support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an interesting book. It's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Susanne. Sorry I'm so late checking in. Thanks for your interest in Listen to the Ghost.

    Thanks again, Penny, for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bev, not to worry. I know how busy you are with all your books, marketing, networking, and crafting new stories.

    ReplyDelete