Monday, November 8, 2010

Interview with author Kay Dee Royal




Today, my guest is MuseItHot author, KayDee Royal.  Ms. Royal's book, Big Girls Don't Cry, is due for release January, 2011.

1. Tell me a little about your book Big Girls Don’t Cry Wolf.

It’s a paranormal erotica romance about twins, werewolves, rustic resorts, danger, abduction, surviving, and, of course, there’s love.

Brea survives a tragic rushing river accident, but her twin sister is never found. She’s a hard worker, an intelligent, plus-sized woman, comfortable in her body. That is until twin wolves in human-form come to stay at her resort. Danger ensues when a rogue shifter abducts Brea…and her life, as she knew it, changes forever.


2. What gave you the idea for this particular story?

My love for the paranormal gave me the shifter aspect, but Brea originated from an online contest calling for a strong, intelligent, and confident heroine in her plus-size body. I loved that concept.

I also read something about a nurse swiping a twin from the hospital, leaving one for the mother. It gave me a twin twist for the story.

The rustic resort part comes from my vacations, always staying at Ma & Pa type wilderness resorts (which we absolutely love).

  
3. Are you a full-time writer or part time, and how do you organize your time?

I’m now a full-time writer, although I continuously organize my time. I’m still tweaking. Some days I write for long hours and other days I’m lucky to get my e-mail checked. I’m work in progress.


4. When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

I never had an AH-HA moment happen. I’ve simply been writing in different ways most of my life (newsletters for organizations, letters, journals, short stories, poetry, etc.).

Ten years ago I left the corporate world and decided, with the Blessing of my husband, to take some writing classes and a correspondence course. I’ve never looked back.


5. What do you hope readers will take from this story?

A fun escape that’s also entertaining for them. Maybe resonate with Brea’s self-confidence. My hope is to engage a reader’s focus and emotions enough for them to smile at the end, sated.


6. Which genres do you write, which do you prefer and why?

My favorite is fantasy combined with romance. I loved reading Sci-Fi as a kid and grew to love the fantasy side blended with romance even more.

Special effects in movies sold me on the Fantasy genre – putting in motion the written words. Seeing these stories (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Scorpion King, Conan, Indiana Jones, The Mummy) come to life on the big screen amped my creativity. There are no limits on imagination, as long as it’s made in a believable, realistic way. That challenges me to write fantasy and I love writing it, any kind; fairies, dragons, paranormal, mythical, wizardly…any and all of it.

    
7. What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

It has to be finding my personal best schedule for writing, my best time during the day, during the week.
I have been caring for my mother the past few years and she passed away in August. I’ve now got all of this time to write, but adjusting to it hasn’t been easy. I’ve been pre-programmed for home-care.
I’m getting closer every day.

    
8. Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so tell me about it.

None of it is based on any one incident. All of it is a product of my imagination, pulling tiny bits and pieces from my life or the lives of people I know and blending it all together to create a fantastical story.


9. How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

Sometimes I think a protagonist is actually a product of the author’s alter-ego. I can dress her any way I want, but in the end she dresses herself and pushes me out of the way.

Brea cares about her family. She’s a voluptuous woman, who dresses casually and is confident in herself.
I’m close to a plus-size body and never accepting of it. Probably the only things Brea and I have in common are interest in our family and rustic resorts.

She’s strong, assertive. I might be strong in some ways, but I’m definitely not assertive. In fact, I’m more like an introvert.


10. What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

This one really didn’t take a lot of research. Mostly, I needed to check out the area of Northern Michigan for ‘my’ rural location. Then I researched some of the area lakes with wooded properties. I needed to visualize the setting, its layout. To be consistent throughout the story – I listed the shifters abilities before beginning.


11. Does writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

I’m not good with gore-type violence, reading it or writing it, but highly sexual scenes I can handle. I enjoy reading erotica. Those scenes of intimacy pour right out of my fingertips onto the paper, carried by my passion of writing them. I have too much fun writing it for me to be bothered by it.


12. What about your book makes it special?

Maybe Brea’s strength and hope, holding on to the possibility her twin sister survived, even though Bella’s body is never recovered. Brea’s life turns out totally different than what she’s always lived. Not that this is what makes the story special because in all stories the protagonist goes through a change in someway, but Brea changes in all ways.


13. What is your marketing plan?

I have been learning as I go, still developing my plan. I’ve been asked to guest on a few blogs, I’ve created my own blog, I joined a number of groups where I can network and promote, and I continue researching ways to put my book out there.

Marketing comes in as a tight second, as far as what’s the toughest part of writing for me.


14. Where can people learn more about you and your work?

At Muse It Hot Publishing you’ll find my author page:
http://tinyurl.com/25se29l

My blog: www.kaydeeroyal.blogspot.com


15. Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

Read, read, read, write, and then read some more. The more you read, the more you’ll get it right. It takes practice. Write as much as you read, especially in the beginning.


Thank you for having me, Penny. I enjoyed my time here. Blessings to you and everyone visiting today,
Kay Dee


Kay Dee, it's been my pleasure learning more about you and your work.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Kay, you and I share the same passion for movies for inspiration. Whenever I watch any of the Potter movies or read the books I want to go write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everyone,
    Kay Dee Royal here - I wanted to make a correction (this change just happened), my new release date for Big Girls Don't Cry Wolf is January 2011.
    Kay Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice interview with an up-and-coming author. Kay Dee's book sounds very intriguing and can't wait to read it!!

    Hope to hear more from her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lea, thanks for taking time from your busy schedule to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay Dee, that's great news. I've changed the post above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allison, thanks for stopping by and commenting. It's always a pleasure to hear from a new reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the interview and rhe sounds of thr book. I cannot wait too.

    loretta

    lbcanton@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny, excellent interview as always!!!

    Kau Dee your book sounds really interesting. I am a big fan of The Dresden Files and there are a lot of characters who do become shape shifters in that series. I am interested in reading your book to see how it works and for the romance part.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loretta, thanks for commenting.
    Barbara, I also love the Jim Butcher Dresden File books. I agree, Kay Dee's book sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muse It Up Publishing - Lea, it's always an honor to hear from you (knowing how really busy you are)...thank you for stopping by.
    Allison, you are an awesome writer, friend, and reader! Thank you for sharing your expertise on the beginnings of my story...and thanks for stopping by.
    Loretta - so nice to have you stop by, and extra special to hear your interest in my book. Thank you.
    Lionmother - thank you for stopping by. The Dresden Files was my favorite series...I was so bummed when it went off the air.
    Penny - thank you again for having me - this was a wonderful visit. Kay Dee Royal

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kay Dee, it was my pleasure. I wish you success in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found it interesting how the different ideas were used to come up with your story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susanne, glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful interview KayDee. Great to know more about you. Look forward to more!

    C.K. Volnek

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charlie, glad you enjoyed the interview and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete