Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator--Another winner from Karina Fabian





Karina Fabian is releasing her latest zombie novel, Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator.  

Here's a little teaser:
By the 2040s, the shambling dead have become and international problem. While governments and special interest groups vie for the most environmentally-friendly way to rid the world of zombies, a new breed of exterminator has risen: The Zombie Exterminator. When zombie exterminator Neeta Lyffe gets sued because a zombie she set afire stumbles onto a lawyer's back porch, she needs money, fast. So she agrees to train apprentice exterminators in a reality TV show that makes Survivor look like a game of tag. But that's nothing compared to having to deal with crazy directors, bickering contestants and paparazzi. Can she keep her ratings up, her bills paid and her apprentices alive and still keep her sanity?

In addition to my usual interview, Karina is gifting you, dear readers, with this holiday poem:

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A ZOMBIE NOVEL?

What do you do with a zombie novel?
What do you do with a zombie novel?
What do you do with a zombie novel?
Early in December?
"Happy holidays!" say the undead!
"Happy Holidays!" for your well-read
Horror fans, that's what I say-ed
Early in December
"Napalm sticks to zombies!" stickers
Fill those stockings a little quicker
Makes them laugh and makes them snicker
Early in December
Make a trailer, that's for sure
Follow with virtual book tour
And the cover's such a lure
Early in December
And if your life is going crazy
And ideas are getting hazy
Keep on plugging, don't be lazy
'Till later in December
Remember long-term sales are coming
Make a plan and keep on humming
Think "Halloween!" and don't be bumming
Early in December
That's what you do with a zombie novel.
That's what you do with a zombie novel.
That's what you do with a zombie novel.
Hope that you'll remember.
INTERVIEW WITH KARINA FABIAN


Q: Why did you write Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator?
A: Because I was asked. I'd written a short story for an anthology called The Zombie Cookbook. It was a lark, really, a short story about zombie exterminators taking on an infestation in a Korean workshop. I really was having more fun with puns and silliness with zombies, but people really enjoyed Neeta in "Wokking Dead" and asked the publisher when her book was coming.
Kim (the publisher) and I belong to a fun online chat group, The Writers Chat Room. She approached me there, and on that night, we got to talking about reality TV and favorite first lines from books. Someone mentioned, "They ate Eidelberg first," as a first line, and I suddenly had to write this story about Neeta in a reality TV show training zombie exterminators--and poor Bergie was going to get eaten.
Q:  What do you like about zombies? Zombie fiction?
A:  Actually, I don't care for either.  I'm a dragons-and-spaceships type.  In fact, I refused to watch any zombie movies or read the zombie books out until I'd written mine so I wouldn't be influenced. References to Zombieland or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies come from what little I saw via commercials or internet chatter. I'm OK with that, because I think most of us have that much exposure to them, so you don't need to be versed in zombie literature to appreciate the fun of Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator.
Q: If you don't read about zombies, how could you write about zombies?
A:  I have a very vivid imagination.  But seriously, Neeta Lyffe isn's so much about zombies as about our possible reactions to a zombie uprising: conspiracy theories about why they suddenly appear, government policies to control the uprising, how some will make zombie-ism a political and even environmental issue, and of course, how individuals will react--from the "not in my backward" attitude toward those working to stop the problem to Hollywood exploiting it for ratings.  So when it comes to heart of it (or in zombie culture, the braaaaaiiins of it), this is a book about human nature.  A very satirical, sometimes cynical, look at human nature. I really enjoyed giving my sarcastic side a workout.
Q:  What was your biggest challenge in writing Neeta Lyffe?
A: Technology. My computer died four times while I was writing it. I've named it Lazarus, because it manages to come back. Ever since the first time it came back from the repairman, the z key sticks, so half the time, I was writing about ombies.
Q: What do you enjoy most about writing?
A: Exercising my imagination. Purging my brain--it gets crowded in there.  Finally, reading my finished work aloud to my kids.  Even though I write for adults, my kids get a kick out of the humor--and they learn a lot as I explain the in-jokes.
Q: What do you like to write about?
A:  My motto is fiction, faith and fun.  I love combining ideas, mixing genres, and twisting clich├ęs and myths (modern and ancient.) My favorite universe I write in involves a Faerie dragon who lives in our world as a detective. His partner is a magic-slinging nun from Faerie. Together, they save the Faerie and Mundane universes on an all-too-regular basis against evil gods, mischievous spirits, greedy evil overlords. The first book, Magic, Mensa and Mayhem was one of their lighter cases--they babysat the Faerie at a convention in Florida and ended up stopping the elves from declaring war on the state over a missing papal bull.  It won the 2010 INDIE award for best fantasy.
I'm currently working on a novel set about 150 years in the
future, when humans find a crashed alien ship in the Kuiper Belt. In it, they'll find a device that lets you see into your soul. Discovery is more serious in tone, and is very Catholic in its nature and message. (I'm Catholic.)
In non-fiction, I collaborate with my father, Deacon Steve
Lumbert. He and I have one book out, Why God Matters: How to Recognize Him in Daily Life. I've been floored by the impact it's having on people's lives. We're discussing the next book we want to write, which we think will be about a deacon's life and calling.
Video Trailer YouTube link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8798Iyubocw
Sale links:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure, Karina. Good luck with the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting interview. What Do You Do With a Zombie Novel was unique holiday poem to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susanne, glad you enjoyed the poem. Karina is certainly a multi-talented author!

    ReplyDelete