Monday, January 17, 2011

Interview with author, Brynna Curry


Today my guest is multi-published author, Brynna Curry, talking about her Elemental Magic Series.

1) Tell me a little about your book.

Wait for the Wind is the third book in my Elemental Magic Series releasing today. This book moves the setting from the US to Ireland as well as brings back Liv, Jack and the rest of the Corrigans who made only a brief appearance in Earth Enchanted. Devin McLoch is back too. Here's a bit about the book.

Tag: Ryan and Kate must reunite to break the second of a three- part thousand-year-old spell.

Blurb: Kate O'Connell grew up loved by the Corrigan family, all the while suffering from the inescapable reality of her own alcoholic father. At a young age she gave her heart and innocence to Ryan Corrigan. For once happiness seemed within her reach, until in one horror-filled night, the monster she called 'Daddy' changed everything.

Too many misunderstandings forced Kate and Ryan apart, but now Kate's come home to open her clinic and raise her daughter, Allaina, closer to his family. Will she be able to open Ryan's heart to his magic?
Ryan is glad to be back on Irish soil, but the reason he left still haunts him. As he tries to build a new life and redeem his past, can he forgive Kate and reclaim his healing gift in time to save his sister and her twins? 


2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?

In the first book Earth Enchanted, Ryan had found himself on the wrong side of the law and then turned informant for the FBI. This put his sister Liv in danger and eventually led her to Jack. I wanted to give him a chance to redeem himself in the readers' eyes.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

Hmm. This is always a hard one to answer. I do write full time, as in I write for a set amount of time everyday, more on the weekends. I respect those hours just as I would any other job. I also work full time as a secretary, which I really enjoy. Even if I were in a financial state where I could say farewell to the time clock, I don't think I would unless my writing really demanded it.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

I think I always wanted to be a writer. I started making up stories probably about the time I learned to write and read, but didn't actually start penning them until I was a teenager. I still have those first manuscripts and plan to rework them.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

Escape. A smile, a tear, a sigh. I want them to feel like they're meeting an old friend when they see a returning character.

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?

I write paranormal romance and romantic suspense in a contemporary setting with varying heat levels. Sometimes a book will be a combination of both. There are so many aspects within these genres, you really never run out of possibilities. Another plus with paranormal is you make up the rules to the universe, stay within those rules and you can do anything.

For reading, I like fiction. I only read non-fiction for research or review. I like romance novels (all genres) and suspense/thrillers.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

Kate and I have a lot in common. She's strong and isn't afraid to step up and do what needs to be done. She is a young mother, giving birth to Allaina at eighteen and finishing medical school while raising a daughter on her own.

My son was born when I was seventeen, even though I haven't raised him alone, its a terrifying place to be at such a young age. In short, Kate has nerve and I love that about her. No wilting wallflower heroines here. lol

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

Since I've never been to Ireland and it wasn't possible to go there to research firsthand, I spent alot of writing time just reading about Ireland's people and history, the landscape and government. I got in touch with individuals living in and around the area where I decided to set the books, who worked in real estate and contacted public offices with questions about specific scenarios applied to the story. Everyone has been wonderful about answering my questions. Of course reading books by other authors with the same settings helped me get a feel for the atmosphere. And then there was a lot of internet research. I try to be as precise with fact checking as possible. If you don't know, its always better to ask.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

Violent scenes are fairly easy for me. Maybe because I watch so many detective shows or perhaps because my parents were violent when I was a child. I look at them from a technical aspect, sort of like playing Tetris, each piece has a specific place in the puzzle, and then you move to the next piece until everything lines up.

Love scenes are a bit more difficult for me. I always wonder if I took it to far or not far enough. Are the characters staying true to the identities I set up for them. Is it chemistry or cheesy? I have rewritten a single kiss scene seven times before I was happy enough with it to send it under the editor's red pen.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Links to all my online homes can be found on website as well as excerpts. If you're on Facebook, Twitter or MySpace, I'd love for you to 'friend' me there.

You can also find me at www.lyricalpress.com/brynna_curry

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

Read. Read everything you can find in the genre you want to write. See what sells and not just in print. Starting out with e-books can be a great way to gain a fan base and network with others who love to write. Take your time with your manuscript and polish it to a shine. Find a good critique partner and always do your research.

16) What’s in the future for you?

More Elemental Magic! There are five books in this series and I'm working hard on the fourth (Sea's Sorceress) and fifth (Fire's Ice) books now. It's been a pleasure visiting with you today. I hope you'll stop by my site and say hello.

17) Anything else you'd like to share?

I'm having a release party Monday on my FB fan page. Hope everyone can drop by. I'm having a giveaway that day on FB. Someone is going to win a copy of all three books.

Brynna, thanks so much for being my guest today.  Someone is going to be a very lucky winner!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me here, Penny! I'll be dropping by all day, so if anyone has questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete