Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Interview with author Delilah K. Stephans




Today, my guest is MuseItHot erotic romance author, Delilah Stephans.

1) Tell me a little about your book.

Ghostly Passions is a short erotic story. The hero is a ghost that died in 1780, hung by the British for piracy during the revolutionary war. He's been stuck in his house in the Carolinas since then. The heroine is a paranormal researcher who as a child saw him in a window and is determined to prove ghost are real.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?

There's not one thing that I can point to that gave me the idea for this story. It really just started with the hero popping up in my head screaming. I knew he was a ghost and that some type of device was causing the pain and from there it just took off.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

I'm a full-time student, a cover artist and a part-time writer. It's not difficult to organize my writing time. When the characters start dictating I start typing. When my mind is consumed by other things, like school they tend to be quiet.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

I can't pinpoint the moment I wanted to be a writer. I use to get in trouble for writing stories on the back of my test papers in 2nd grade - maybe I wouldn't have gotten in so much trouble if I hadn't, for some reason, made up my own language. Wish I could remember it.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

The main thing in all my romances is that love finds a way. Even with impossible obstacles it finds a way. All my stories have some kind of impossibility that the couple must work through. In Ghostly Passions it's that he's a ghost. In the Envoy it's that he's a vampire with enemies that want him dead. In Black Velvet - a half-breed Dragon shifter that most of that race think needs to be destroyed and yet he falls in love with a pure-blood from one of the most powerful families.  

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?

I prefer paranormal. It's what I've always enjoyed reading.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

The toughest part for me is when the characters stop talking. Sometimes music helps and other times it is just a case of me having to let the characters do what they want.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

Yes and no. Nothing in my life was directly like what's in Ghostly Passions. However, years ago I went to Natchez, MS and wanted a picture of this specific house with no one in front of it. Waited a good hour then took the picture. When it came back from being developed there were two blurry figures in the picture of women in pre civil war dresses. Many military moves later and the photo has vanished.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

There is a tiny bit of me in Druscilla, her intelligence and curiosity. But I don't have her scientific mind.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

Not much just a bit on when the Revolutionary War did indeed end. The British didn't surrender to 1781. The United States wasn't formally recognized as a country until the Treaty of Paris of 1783.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

Sometimes, and usually it's the highly sexual scenes. It's easy to think them up but typing them I always worry if they are not enough or too much. Violent scenes are more deciding how much to actually say in the text and how much to imply. But I don't seem to have a problem with putting them on the page. But I have been called blood thirsty before.

12) What about your book makes it special?

There are usually only three ways in fiction a ghost and living love can be together -
1. The ghost becomes living but in the living love's time
2. The living love dies and they become ghost together
3. The ghost is reincarnated. (rarely used and often their soul is placed in a different body.)

I figured out a fourth way.

13) What is your marketing plan?
Guest blogging, Twitter and Facebook. I need to make some promo materials but haven't had the time yet to create them.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
I'm pretty easy to find on the web.
Delilah K. Stephans on Facebook
DelilahK on Twitter (warning not everything is about my writing)

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

Have the rules of your world firmly in mind. If you ever revisit it readers will remember that rule. Other than that, just sit down and write! Don't edit your first draft because the creative side of the brain and the editor side hate each other and won't work together. Trying to edit as you write will have you never finishing the book.



Excerpt:

“Woman, you will release me now!” Devlin prayed his voice would reach the wench
sitting at the table. Hope raced through him as she looked up.

She tucked a lock of her mousy brown hair behind her ear, and then pushed thick
rimmed glasses up her nose. He couldn’t tell if she was squinting as she looked toward the light, chewing on her lower lip.

“Woman,” he tried again, paused then gentled his tone. “Turn this blasted light off.” He
smiled as she came from behind the table and walked to the edge of the circle. “That’s it, lass. Be a dear, turn off the light and release me.”

When she cocked her head as if listening, her eyes searching the circle imprisoning him, he could see they were a deep chocolate brown and alight with intelligence.

“Who are you?” Her voice was filled with wonder and possessed the hint of a South
Carolina drawl.

“Devlin Ruark at your service,” he bowed, still wondering if she could see him. “And,
what be your name, lass?”

“Devlin Ruark,” she muttered, her eyebrows shooting up and then moved back to her
desk.

“Lass, come back here and turn off that blasted light,” he shouted at her retreating back.
He growled in frustration as she sat at the desk. The clack of the keys as she typed
reached him. He crossed his arms over his chest, wondering how much longer he would be trapped.

“Devlin Ruark… Devlin… ah, there you are. 1748 to 1780, so you were what thirtytwo?”
She looked up into the circle that imprisoned him. “Well, you were a handsome devil,
weren’t you?”

“Thank you, and may I say that you are quite—”

“Builder, merchant and pirate?”

He rolled his eyes, “Blockade runner, lass. Blockade runner, though the British still
called me pirate when they sent me to the gallows.”

She stretched then looked at her wrist. After typing a few commands, she looked up at
the ceiling.

He followed her gaze. The sweeping light headed toward him again and he braced
himself for the pain, closing his eyes. This time he would not scream, he silently vowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment