Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Interview with author, J Q Rose



Today, my special guest is MuseItUp author, J Q Rose.  Her book, Sunshine Boulevard, is due for release in March, 2011.

1) Tell me a little about your book.
Sunshine Boulevard is a mystery/horror story with humor. It’s a fun, entertaining, quick read that takes place in a Florida retirement community. Someone or something is killing the seniors who live on Sunshine Boulevard. Jim and Gloria Hart, snowbirds from Michigan, become involved in the investigations into the mysterious murders. The reader meets some quirky characters throughout the story including Hart’s friends who have secrets to keep.





2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?
I am a snowbird and I live in a retirement community in FL during the winter. I love the area and all the great people there.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I am a part-time free-lance writer who has turned to fiction for a challenge. I love making up the characters and settings and whirling them altogether to come up with an entertaining story for my readers.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
I wrote stories constantly in second and third grades. I still have a bump on my middle finger from writing so much. In seventh grade I wrote my first “novel” based on my favorite book, Black Beauty. My grandmother took my hand written pages and typed the whole manuscript for me. Seeing the pages she so lovingly prepared in print form was the impetus for me to continue writing.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
I want them to be entertained and escape into the story.  Giggle out loud at the humor and gasp at the scenes of horror….

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
This is my first mystery/horror story, but I do enjoy writing mysteries. I am working on a mystery/romance now. I also write non-fiction children’s stories for girls. I enjoy the research for this writing and hope the reader will be inspired by the stories to turn her dream into reality.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Sitting down in the chair to write! Once I get in the seat, I can get down to the business of writing. Some days too many other things take priority over writing. So if I make a list of the writing projects to work on for the day, I find I am more likely to make time for them. It is so satisfying to cross each one off the list when completed.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
Many of the activities in the story are things my friends or I like to do---exercise class, card games, golf, dances. The setting, Citrus Ridge Senior Community, is based on communities of double-wide trailers located all over Florida.  The media hype about the murders in the story is very familiar to all of us who watch the news every day.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
Gloria Hart is much like me in that she is from Michigan, retired business owner, loves her husband, in a long marriage, mother, and grandmother. I chuckled at how different she is from me because I never thought about that. I think she is a better housekeeper and probably a more thoughtful, kind person.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
I did a lot of research on the Internet and talked to local people on one topic, but if I tell you what it is, it will ruin the mystery!!

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
After writing an especially violent scene or describing a crime scene, I have a hard time going to sleep. So---those scenes are written during the daytime.

12) What about your book makes it special?
This book is a glimpse into the life of seniors having a fantastic time playing in Florida in the wintertime. The activities keep life interesting and lively. (Of course, the murders add a somber side to their usual games and fun.) Too many times in books, older people are portrayed as incompetent, sickly, and a drag on society. Not in this one!

13) What is your marketing plan?
Because Sunshine Boulevard is an ebook, most of the marketing will be done online--blogging, chatting, blog tours, etc. There is no actual book to sign, but I would like to meet with folks to educate them about ebooks and ereaders AND sign a book cover for them.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
My blog is http://www.jqroseauthor.blogspot.com
My author website is  http://www.jqrose.webs.com
Please friend me on Facebook at J. Q. Rose
I just finished the book trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ttwC03EkcE

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
To be a writer in any genre, a person must keep writing.  When learning to ice skate, play the piano, ride a bike, the more you practice the better you get.  It’s the same with writing. Write and write and write. Plus read all kinds of books and study the structure, the characters, the voice, etc. You will know which stories you like and definitely know the ones you do not like.

Thank you, Penny, for this opportunity to share my book and information with your readers. It's been fun guesting on your blog, Penny. For your readers, I have posted recipes using vegetables from my main character, Jim Hart's garden. Jim gardens year round up north in the summer and in Florida in the winter. His wife, Gloria, doesn't fancy herself much of a baker, but she develops delicious dishes to use up the fresh veggies. I know a lot of us have made New Year's resolutions to eat healthier so these recipes may inspire you. Happy New Year 2011!

Writing Blog http://www.janetglaser.wordpress.com

JQ, it's been my pleasure.  I love you've written a story with a positive take on seniors.

22 comments:

  1. Thanks, Penny, for hosting me this morning--you got up early to post this one...It is fun sharing the story with you and your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I love books with older heroes/heroines. It's about time people realize just because we're older we still enjoy life and have fun. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, JQ! Looking forward to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure. I love reading how other authors approach their craft. A little secret, though, blogger lets me post in advance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roseanne, thanks for stopping by. I agree. It was a pleasure reading a book that gave a positive outlook on retirees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, glad you could stop by. Sunshine Boulevard is a fun read, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Penny, I'll have to find out that blogger secret.

    Roseanne and Theresa, thanks for visiting today. I think it is so interesting that boomers do not consider themselves seniors...Boomers will never grow old!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet, it's easy to do. I'll send you an email. As a "boomer" myself, I have to say you're right! I'm never growing up or growing old...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview Penny as usual!! J Q Rose I am a senior but I don't consider myself one. I'm not typical and I like that you have written a book about non-typical seniors. I consider myself on the cusp of being a boomer. I was born one year too early!!!! I don't consider myself old, even though I have all the signs of being old. I don't count them.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. JQ, Sorry I'm late. What a fun interview! Can't wait to get my copy of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ms. Rose, your book sounds like a lot of fun, despite the killing. I'm a snowbird so I know a few dozen readers who are going to love S.B. Good luck with your release.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely interview, Penny. What a great concept for your book, Janet. I can relate to happy, active and clever seniors. :) There seems to be a growing number of us and most love to read, so I wish you much success with this book You should have a captive audience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara, hope you get an opportunity to read Sunshine Boulevard. You'll like how Janet crafts her boomer characters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joselyn, thanks for stopping by. I'm sure you'll love this one. Hope you do get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joylene, thanks for stopping by. Please do spread the word about Sunshine Boulevard. I don't think your friends will be disappointed

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy, thanks for commenting. I have to agree, we boomers are taking over!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lionmother--Boomers never grow old. I know that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joselyn, so happy you are here, late or not. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Joylene. Snowbirds have to flock together. This is a great read for those sunny winter days in the south. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wendy, I wanted to portray a can-do attitude for seniors, not a sit on the porch and rock all day mind set. (well unless they want to sit on their porch and read..LOL) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Janet, you definitely accomplished that in Sunshine Boulevard.

    ReplyDelete