Sunday, January 16, 2011

Interview with author Jane Toombs



Today, my guest is author Jane Toombs. Jane is talking about her book, Unwanted.

1) Tell me a little about your book.
Unwanted Is the second story in my Underworld Series.  My Underworld has nothing to do with Satan, but is an alternate world among other alternate worlds connected to one another by shifting one-way gates.  Earth is one of these. 


 Unwanted Blurb:
As she drives home after doing a gig as a gypsy fortune-teller for a charity money-raiser, redheaded, green-eyed Ella Mack runs into a Sierra thunderstorm.  When her car skids and plunges over a cliff, she’s thrown free.  Instead of smashing down to her death with the car, she slips through a gate leading to the Underworld, floating instead of falling,  Lucky?  Yes, she would be, except the country she winds up in believes all red-haired, green-eyed females are evil witches and kills them on sight...  



2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?
I’m not sure, but I think perhaps I’ve always secretly wanted to have  green-eyes and red hair, instead of pale blue eyes and what I’ve always thought of as hair-colored hair—an indeterminate brown, now pretty much gray.  Then I got to wondering what would happen to a woman who had these desirable attributes in a place where they weren’t admired. 

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
Sort of full time.  I’ve finally learned that I‘m not good at writing more than one book at a time, so now I stick with the one I‘m writing until it’s done.  Unless I suddenly get a call from a publisher asking me to submit a story for a anthology or series that they need right away. If I choose to do that, I drop whatever I‘m working on and leave it until I finish the requested one.   As for organization, I‘m haphazard otherwise and have no special time for writing.  But I do my best to write every day.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
Pretty much all my life.  Even after I finished nurse’s training and became an RN.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
A feeling of satisfaction that they’ve read a story they liked and enjoyed. 

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
My favorite has always been paranormal in some form, from gothic to horror.  I’m not sure why.  Sometimes I blame it on early exposure to E. A. Poe.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
The toughest part is always putting my butt in the chair and starting a new story.  Even though I’m a plotter, not a pantser and have a synopsis for my books ahead of time, Once I finish the first chapter, I’m fine.  Not that the first one is hard to write.  It’s most like I’m not really committed to the story until I get that one done.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
Not at all-- I write mostly suspense in all my stories,    Although I don’t write erotica, some of my scenes are highly sexy.  But I admit I originally did have a hard time switching from the earlier sweet romances to more sexy ones. 

12) What about your book makes it special?
For one thing, the fantasy setting.  Since most of the story takes place in the Underworld, mores and customs are definitely not the same as on Earth. 

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
At my website : http://www.JaneToombs.com or at The Jewels Of The Quill website: http://www.jewelsofthequill.com  where I’m Dame Turquoise, one of the closed group of twelve authors who promote each other.

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
If you intend to create a fantasy world, remember to keep the details consistent. It’s not enough to make the place different from Earth,  This requires jotting down everything that differs from Earth and keeping it by the computer while write the story.  Otherwise it’s fatally easy to make a mistake.  

Jane, thanks for stopping by today and discussing your work.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,
    I admire your ability to write in so many different genres. Unwanted sounds like a very interesting book. I love the cover! I wish you continued success in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, thank you for stopping by to comment. It's a pleasure to hear from a new reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Anne, I admire such talent. Blessings for continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unwanted sounds so very different from any book I have ever read. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gladys, thanks for stopping by to comment. I agree Unwanted does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started reading Arapaho Spirit; the moving tale prodded me to find out more who is it that writes so well and so I landed here.
    Then I find the interview is itself so different from the run of the mill and routine Q&As. Refreshing. Thanks
    Sarma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my site, and I hope you come back often to learn about other exciting authors and their work.

      Delete