Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Interview with romance author,Ciara Gold


Today, my guest is romance author, Ciara Gold talking about The Keeper of Moon Haven.

First, thank you so much for having me today, Penny. I look forward to answering all your fun questions.

1)     Tell me a little about your book.  The Keeper of Moon Haven is part fantasy/part historical. Set in Victorian England, the heroine, Noreen finds a book that provides a bridge to a faery realm. The Keeper of this realm is half human and half elf with wizard abilities that include shape shifting. He believes bringing a human into his world will destroy their fragile environment, but at the same time, he believes the fates have sent him Noreen. He’s torn between wanting Noreen by his side and saving his world from dying. 

2)     What gave you the idea for this particular story? I really don’t know. I was doing a bit of web surfing and came across information on blue moons. Astrology and astronomy (though I’m not any good at it) have always fascinated me and I thought it would be fun to try a fantasy so it felt natural to put the two together somehow.
3)     Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? Oh gosh, this question opens a real can of worms. I have three jobs so balancing time is quite the trick. I teach full time, I’m art director for a community magazine that’s growing and I write. I do most of my writing during the summer and late at night so I manage at least one book per year. 

4)     When did you first know you wanted to be a writer? I wrote my first full 400 page novel when I was twenty and promptly put it under the bed. I didn’t write another full novel until I was 45 though I did dabble a bit here and there along the way. I think writing was always in me, but life got in the way and I didn’t discover it as a “need” until later in life.

5)     What do you hope readers will take from your writing? That sigh that happens when you finish a really good story, when the hero and heroine have taken you for a ride and the climax is both exhilarating and satisfying.

6)     Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why? So far I’ve written sci-fi futuristic, fantasy, paranormal time-travel and historical western. I love them all but I think my favorites would be the historical western and fantasy though I’ve had my greatest success with the sci-fi futuristics. Celestial Dragon was the number one best seller for Champagne Books for two years running and A Noble Sacrifice won an Eppie in 2008. 

7)     What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it? For me, it’s promotion. I don’t mind chatting on loops and blogs. In fact I enjoy doing it, but time is a factor that makes it difficult at times, especially when I have a deadline looming with the magazine.

8)     How much is your protagonist like you? How different? Noreen is a fighter though reserved in the way she attacks the problem. That part of her is very much like me. She’s different in that she balks at joining the Keeper in the faery realm. I would have jumped at the chance for an adventure like that. LOL.

9)     What kind of research did you do for this type of story? I researched all manner of mythical creatures and I did research on Merlin to get ideas about the wizard. I also did quite a bit of research on the Mendip hills and Victorian England in general. 

10)  Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not? It doesn’t bother me. If the story calls for it, I’ll do what’s necessary to make the scene work and work well, but most of my stories don’t require these type of scenes. 

11)  What about your book makes it special? The little details like remaining feathers that the hero, Vin, has to pluck from his skin after shifting from hawk form. Every time he gets close to Noreen, his powers tend to diminish and he has to work harder to make them work.

12)  Where can people learn more about you and your work? My website is www.ciaragold.com and my blog is http://ciaragold.blogspot.com/  Readers are also welcome to connect with me at facebook at www.facebook.com/ciara.gold

13)  Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book? Keep a running outline or list of characters, places and chronological sensitive situations because when writing from your imagination, it’s real easy to get lost.

The Keeper of Moon Haven is available at Champagne Books http://champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=364






Blurb:
On the southern fringes of the Mendip Hills sits the Castle Hamingjur, an abandoned structure most fear haunted. Yet, on the rare occasions when the Hunter’s Blue Moon occurs, the Keeper occupies this mysterious castle where he guards the bridge to Alfheim Haven.

Noreen Willshire discovers more than fairytales hidden between the pages of Beletania’s diary. She opens the ancient book and finds a pathway to a Faery Realm where all manner of mythical creatures reside. In her naïveté, she summons the Keeper before his scheduled time in the human realm. In that brief moment, the mysterious wizard touches her soul with more than magick. She promises to return the diary during Mefylleth, a time when the barriers between the two realms melt away, but danger stalks her path. Torn between her desire to make a new life for herself in America and her growing love for the Keeper, she must bridge the gap between magick and time to follow her heart.

Excerpt:
          Vin turned away from the cluster of faeries. He’d learned many things since becoming the Keeper, one of which was to use a firm hand when dealing with the Beings of Alfheim Haven. As a result, he rarely bowed to another’s will. He glanced down at the translucent quality of his hand and bit off an oath.
          The blasted woman continued to read. Her throat must be hoarse by now. Time flowed differently in Alfheim Haven. A minute in the human realm equated to nineteen minutes here, sometimes even more. She must have read that story for almost three hours. If anything, she was tenacious.
          He walked slowly. Her voice pulled at him. He resisted. Doesn’t she have anything better to do with her time?
          By the time he reached the keep, his skin was completely transparent. He swung his cape over his shoulder and yanked the front door open with more force than he intended. He must rein in his temper and not give into the human emotion.
          I won’t go. She can read until she has no voice and still, I won’t go.
          “Vin?”
          His mother’s gentle voice broke through his thoughts. His eyes met hers. A flitting worry etched her features before it fled from view. “She calls to you again, doesn’t she?”
          He rolled his eyes. He should have never told his mother of his visit to the human realm.
          “Just because she calls, doesn’t mean I must go to her. I won’t be manipulated.”
          His mother turned her head away, but not before he caught her gentle smile. She studied the flowing fabric of her gown with more interest than it deserved. “Vin, when you saw the woman, did you think to ask her name?”
          His mouth gaped. He clamped it shut. Awiergan! What had he been thinking? How would he find her when he bridged to the human realm if he didn’t know her name? Mefylleth drew near, and he wouldn’t have much time to locate the girl or the book. “Aye, but she managed to avoid telling me. It’s an oversight I intend to correct. Have no fear, Mother, this situation will resolve itself soon. I give you my word.”
          Before he could change his mind, he disappeared from her sight and into the timeless void that would take him to the human realm—and the nameless woman who summoned him.





No comments:

Post a Comment