Friday, February 18, 2011

Interview with erotic romance author Qwilla Rain



1)     Tell me a little about your book.
Diablo Blanco Club: Rite of First Claim is the most recent book in my Diablo Blanco Club series. It’s an erotic romance that focuses on Mike Halsey’s determination to prove to Lyssa Lawrence, a woman six years his senior, that a relationship between them would not only work, but thrive. The fact that he’s a much sought after photojournalist as well as a trained dominant make convincing Lyssa difficult. Not to mention the woman has been running from the feelings Mike has stirred in her since they first met twelve years earlier.

2)     What gave you the idea for this particular story?
Mike and Lyssa were secondary characters in my book, Diablo Blanco Club: Unfair Advantage. Mike is the younger brother of that book’s hero, while Lyssa is the older sister of the heroine. The chemistry between the two was electric and Lyssa’s determination to refuse to give in to her curiosity and emotions make her that much more interesting to work with.

3)     Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I just recently became a full-time writer so I’m still getting myself situated into a writing schedule. Prior to quitting my day job, I squeezed my writing into any free time I had. LOL. This meant I was often up until well after midnight during the week, and sometimes getting back up at four or five in the morning to get some writing done before getting ready for work. I was lucky most of the time because my job was a Monday through Friday schedule with weekends off. Now that I have all this free time, I’m finding I’m a bit at loose ends during the day and my writing is not getting done as quickly, but I’m confident as soon as I get the hand of it, I’ll be fine.

4)     When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
When I was twelve and I enjoyed writing my own stories when the endings of the tales I read left me wanting more. I wrote my first full-length romance when I was tenth grade, so I was…fifteen.

5)     What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
A sense of knowing that there is someone out there for everyone. That happiness is available if you have the courage and strength to reach for and fight to keep it.

6)     Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
I write romance, specifically erotic romance, and even though I dabble in other genres like time-travel, suspense, and historical, all of them are romance at heart. I prefer writing romance mainly because I love a happy ending and knowing that everything will work out well.

7)     What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Characters that argue with me about their stories. To get past it I usually have to sit down and discuss the discrepancy with the character until they come up with a reason for me to change my mind.

8)     Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
              Nope, nothing base on a real life event for me. I do incorporate Dominant/submissive lifestyles into
my stories and I try to research the information before I write about it.

9)     How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
She worked hard to make her business a success, just as I’ve worked long and hard to learn my writing craft. The difference I’m most aware of is the fact that Lyssa’s mother was killed by her father, while my parents simply divorced and my mom is still very much alive.

10)  What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
I researched various philosophies of Dominance and submission; photography; clothing design; fabrics; and weapons.

11)  Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
Nope. The intensity of a violent or highly sexual scene is just a reflection of the characters’ emotions and building relationship or situation. I only relate the information the characters want me to tell, and sometimes information they don’t want me to relate. Considering I write erotic romance, I tend to write highly sexual scenes more often than violent ones, but I have dabbled in romantic suspense and horror stories, so violent scenes are not foreign to me.

12)  What about your book makes it special?
The characters are unique and compelling. There have been two reviews that have mentioned that the book’s descriptive writing and interesting secondary characters make the book a must read. What’s great about my stories is the element of trust that is necessary in order for the romances to flourish between my characters. Trust is key in Dominant/submissive relationships and I repeatedly stress that important factor in all my books.

13)  What is your marketing plan?
I’m building my marketing plan every year, but I’ve been lucky enough to recently find an amazing lady to help me with it. Tivi Jones just started her business, Creativity Loft (http://creativityloft.com), and she’s teaching me how to outline and create a marketing plan to spread the word about my books. I also have the privilege of being published by Loose Id, LLC who actively market and offer opportunities for positive exposure of their authors.

14)  Where can people learn more about you and your work?
MySpace (www.myspace.com/qwilliarain), or my website (www.clubdiabloblanco.webs.com). I even post writing tips and tricks to a blog -- Quintessentially Qwillia -- on the Savvy Authors website (www.savvyauthors.com) under the craft section.

15)  Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
Write at the heat level you’re most comfortable with. Erotic romance can be very hot and if you are a bit squeamish about the language or graphic nature of this genre, don’t force yourself to write it. Learn how you write and if you’re serious about making a career of it, be very prepared to work hard!! Do your research, not only on elements within your book, but also about the publishers and agents you’re going to be submitting to when you’re ready to take the next step. And if you have a local chapter of Romance Writers of America, attend a meeting. You can attend two meetings without joining RWA or the chapter. RWA can provide information that can help you in your quest toward publication.




4 comments:

  1. Great interview- you're right about having to write the sexual heat level you're comfortable with - I think readers can tell if the writer loves what they are doing or if the writer is in an uncomfortable place as he/she writes those scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jillian, glad you liked the interview. I'll never be an erotic romance writer because I'm not comfortable writing those scenes. I completely agree with you and Qwilla that a writer needs to not only be able to read the genre she's writing, but be comfortable writing it. The reader does know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Penny for having me today. I'm sorry I was late visiting, but I've been dealing with plotting and putting together a bag for Brenda Novak's auction in May.

    Yes, Jillian, I agree with you. An author's comfort level with their subject can appear in the book. I actually had a freind ask me who I was and what I'd done with "me" because the love scene I'd written was forced and sounded nothing like my normal writing. It was actually a scene I had forced myself to write and I wasn't happy with it.

    Qwillia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Qwilla, my pleasure. Thank you for sharing the story about forced writing not sounding like "you."

    ReplyDelete