Monday, March 28, 2011

Interview with author Larion Wills




Today, my guest is multi-published author, Larion Wills, talking about It’s Still Tomorrow, her contemporary, paranormal, romance published through Swimming Kangaroo Books.

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?    
Me, uninteresting, just an everyday person, wife, mother, grandmother and great grandmother. Yeah, I’m an oldie but goodie. Spent my life when I wasn’t caring for home or house trying out things that sounded interesting from belly dancing to karate, ceramics to American Sign Language. Oh, yea, and creative writing. I put my first story down on paper at about, let me see now, that was a long time ago, about 22. I read a book, thought I can do a good as that, and wrote the story down the book started off in my head. Read it again a few months ago. It was awful.  As to what genre I write in, take your pick: contemporary, western, historical, fantasy, paranormal, suspense, science fiction, mystery, some all mixed up together. Oh, wait, did I mention romance?

Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.  
It’s Still Tomorrow is a perfect example of mixed up. Starting with contemporary, add some suspense, a bit of witchcraft, a foul villain, and a cat and dog that go to war in the kitchen. Yes, there’s humor, also. Sara Beth is the main character. An off the wall reporter from a cheap tabloid got angry when she refused to let him interview her. He wrote a story about her, branding her a black witch. Her cat is shot, her apartment fire bombed, and she’s fired from her job. With no job, no home, and her only source of income, unemployment, nearing an end, she has no choice but to run, blaming the craft for some of her problems and swearing she’ll never practice again. She didn’t want the house, feeling Charlie should never have left it to her, and was determined to stick it out in the unfinished place until she at least got a job. When Dem arrived, the contractor already hired, already paid, and with all the materials, already bought, in storage, she changed her mind. She changed her mind again when the evil that followed threatened Dem. Her enemy learned that all the reporter wrote about her wasn’t lies.

How long have you been writing?   
Do I really have to answer that? Like I said, it’s was a long time ago, but I didn’t seriously attempt to publish my closet full of manuscripts until about five years ago.

What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book?   
I’ve always been a story teller, way back as a child, though the only one I told them to was me. I got turned off on the thought of writing in high school, took an English class I didn’t like, but once I did start writing the stories down, except for breaks to contend with the rest of my life, I’ve written every since.

Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?  
No outlines. A story starts in my head. When I have a pretty good idea, usually a few days later, of a start, middle and finish, I start writing, pen and paper.

What comes first: the plot or the characters?  
Sometimes one, sometimes the other, but most often I’d say character. I’m a people watcher, whether it’s when I’m out somewhere or watching the TV. I don’t actually think the words ‘what if’ but my mind starts with changing what I see, playing out how it would be if the scene, as in time, place, circumstances, was different.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?  
I’ll pick pity out of those four. I always feel sorry for the ones who don’t know how to love, don’t appreciate the things they have for making themselves miserable over the things they don’t, who dwell in the negative, never seeing the humor in just living day to day.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?  
Once I’ve got it handwritten, the hardest, and most time consuming, for me is getting it typed into the computer in a comprehensible form that someone else can read. I’d type it straight in, saving myself that headache, but the words don’t seem to flow for me like they do with a pen in my hand. Suppose it has something to do with the left side/right side of the brain? Or maybe just being old fashion, although I’d fight you tooth and nail for my computer.

Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you? 
It’s Still Tomorrow didn’t take much research. Some of the things I mentioned ‘trying out’ was studying herbal remedies and metaphysics so I had some background knowledge. I’d read books on modern witchcraft—not Wicca—as well so with a little brushing up on facts, I had what I needed. In Evil Reflections, one of my earlier witching stories, the book I had my character reading from was patterned after one I had picked up to read. Yeah, that stuff fascinates me.

Describe your writing space.  
First draft writing time is sitting on my couch with the notebook and pen. When I get into typing the story in and editing, it’s laptop time. I used to have my own space, off in a room by muself, but my husband got tired of feeling like he lived here alone.

What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release?  
It’s Still Tomorrow, A Gallows Waited, Twisted Wind, Little Sam’s Angel, Evil Reflections, Mourning Meadow, Looking Glass Portal, and The Knowing all available at Swimming Kangaroo Books: http://www.swimmingkangaroo.com
Coming up through 2011, White Savage, Chase, and Tarbet, and 2012, Traps, and Mark of the Sire all through Muse It Up Publishing:  https://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/

Where can people learn more about you and your work? 
I love to have people visit my website, http://www.larriane.com  I social network on facebook, http://www.facebook.com/people/Larriane-Wills/1535007230 and welcome new friends  I also have a blog, http://larionmusing.com with followers invited, and through the month of March I’m having a Jimmy Thomas covers marathon with blurbs and excerpts by the authors from all the books as well as a drawing at the end of the month for a Jimmy Thomas 2011 calendar. When I’m not having a special promo of some kind, I post all manner of things, a ‘what you see is what you get’ Last Oct it was a series of a wedding posts and pictures, mine, celebrating our 50th anniversary with a renewal of our vows. Boy was that fun. Yes, I said that tongue in cheek. The preacher had the date wrong in his calendar. They had to hunt him down, and everything started over an hour late, but even still it was an experience I will always treasure.
It’s Still Tomorrow

Blurb: Fired from her job, her apartment firebombed, and her small amount of money dwindling too quickly, Sarah ran. Knowing that the terror would follow, she took the only refuge available to her, an unfinished house she’d inherited. She didn’t know she would also inherit a long legged hunk of good looking man that would set off every buried desire she’d ever had. Her vow to never practice witchcraft again ended when the terror threatened Dem. Her enemies learned that like vicious dogs, they should have let the sleeping witch lie.

Excerpt:
“Poor little city girl, my ass,” he said aloud to make Boot tip his head to look inquiringly at him. “That booby trap is ingenious, Boot. Whoever is harassing her is in for one hell of a surprise. I think we’ll just do some watching tonight. I deserve to see him get it after getting caught in it.”
The more he thought of it, the better he liked the idea. He was just going to watch, not get involved. Well, a little involved. The next time she called the sheriff, she would have a witness, but that was all. He would not get any more involved than that. About one thirty that morning he doubted the sanity in even that much involvement. He shifted his weight, moving yet another rock on the hillside biting into his ass, and wondered what the hell he was doing. The prowler wasn’t going to show until she went to bed, and she wasn’t showing any signs of doing that anytime soon. Every light in the house was on, including those in the bedrooms she wasn’t using.
“Unless,” he mused aloud, rubbing Boot’s neck, “she’s sleeping with the lights on.”
Boot flopped, stretching out along Dem’s leg. Dem grimaced and eased the knee away from the weight. Three surgeries later and the knee still wasn’t right, never would be again. Too many ligaments had been torn too badly to ever be completely repaired. He had to learn to live with the limp, the pain, and the sometimes-sudden collapsing of his leg. None of that was what he was thinking of when he had settled down earlier on the hillside to watch. Nor was it then, not for long. Thinking of her sleeping with the lights on, afraid to turn them off, bothered him.
She didn’t show any fear, but knowing someone was prowling around, not knowing who or, from the way she acted, why or if the guy was just building up courage to do more had to be scaring her and had nothing to do with city versus country living. Maybe she was just good at hiding her fear, and there was that thing she did with her fingers all the time. Some kind of nervous habit? Nervousness, he wondered, brought on by the fear she hid?
Before he completely realized what he was doing, Dem was making his way as quietly as possible down the hill. When he was low enough to see through the back windows, he sucked in his breath. On top of a table he had never seen before was the ice chest, telling him she had been busy after he left. She stood on top of the ice chest stretching up to reach the vaulted ceiling with a broom. The strong lights had turned the shirt she wore to the consistency of gauze, and any doubts he may have had as to her figure were quickly put to rest. She was perfectly silhouetted from mounds of breasts to flat tummy, and when she turned he saw the sensuous curves of waist and hips disappearing into low-riding jeans.
Dem had a totally unexpected and embarrassing reaction. He groaned softly with one of the fastest erections he had ever experienced in his life and felt like a low-life Peeping Tom. He wasn’t, however, given opportunity to dwell on his predicament. Boot tensed beside him and started shifting anxiously.
“Get him,” Dem commanded, sending Boot in pursuit, worried over what could happen to her if the lights went out while she was up on the pyramid.
The lights did go out before Boot could get there, but Dem, following at a slower pace by necessity, was just in time to intercept her when she burst out the door with a flashlight in hand. She heard him coming, swung to face him, and shined the light right into his eyes, blinding him.
He kept moving. “Put that out,” he ordered, colliding with her. “And get back inside.”
The light went out, but she didn’t move to go inside or anywhere else. She vaulted into his arms when the screams started.
“Boot’s got him,” he told her.
“Wouldn’t hurt a flea?” she asked calmly, despite the fact that she clung to him.
“Those were your words, not mine. He’s a K-9.”
Her voice wasn’t quite as calm as before. “He’s an attack dog?”
“No—shhhh.” The screaming stopped and an engine started. Dem let out one shrill whistle followed by three short at the same time the engine gunned. “Can you hear him?” he asked anxiously.
She shook free of his arms. “He’s an attack dog?”
“He would never attack without my order.”
Sara quickly backed through the door into the house. “You’re a cop?”
“Was,” he answered in relief when he could hear Boot coming. “Give me the light and I’ll get your power back on.”
She too heard Boot returning and turned the light back on to see him. She stretched her arm to full length, barely holding onto the light to give herself maximum distance between herself and Dem as Boot settled as his feet.
“He would never hurt you,” Dem told her.
“Even if I strangled you?”
“For what?” he asked with a start.
“For scaring the hell out of me!” she retorted and slammed the door shut.
“Ungrateful…” he grumbled through clenched teeth. One thing he did not have to worry about: He had lost his erection when he started running, and it wasn’t likely to come back. She was the most aggravating woman in the world.


17 comments:

  1. Interesting interview! Larion, you have lead an interesting life. Sounds like you like to keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanne, glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great blog post. Larion, you sound like a very interesting lady. I'm looking forward to reading It's Still Tomorrow. I also like the fact that you have a dog and cat in your story. I love critters and they tend to sneek their way into every story I write...in one form or another.

    Thanks for hosting the interview Penny.

    Lawna Mackie
    www.lawnamackie.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larian! I'm also a Muse author and I know Swimming Kangaroo too. It's always good to see another author who is what some call a "lanyard":) How do you get your ideas? Do they always come from people watching? Which I think is something many writers do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larian! I'm also a Muse author and I know Swimming Kangaroo too. It's always good to see another author who is what some call a "lanyard":) How do you get your ideas? Do they always come from people watching? Which I think is something many writers do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lawna, thanks for stopping by. It's great to hear from someone who hasn't commented before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, good to hear from you. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good interview! Always learning something new about Larrian/Larion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhobin, thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry I'm late to my own party. just now broke free to enjoy your comments, thank you all. and animals are so much a part of my life, i really can't think of one without them, especially since the kids are gone. they mind better too. And no, lionmother, I don't get all my ideas from people watching, which I'm sure is a trait i do share with many other writers. another place, which I'm sure other writers get ideas from too, is watching a movie or reading a book and not liking the way it ended. I think now if that was me I'd do such and such, and dang me, if i don't end up concocting a whole new story from it. lol. I wrote an entire sequel to Omega Man I was so furious at them for killing off Charlton Heston. And it was his fault. After Planet of the Apes, he told them he'd only do Omega if the guy was killed off. If you think about it though, watching tv, movies, or reading a book, you're still people watching, through someone else's eyes.
    Penny, again I'm so sorry I was so late in responding. Thank you for having me, and thank all of you for your comments. I found Muse, btw, through Swimming Kangaroo, via another fellow author from there. it turns out to be a small world sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Larion, not a problem. It was my pleasure to host you today, and I wish you success in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Larion, you book sounds great. And, I can't believe you use a pen and paper. I try that every now and then, but my writing is way too slow for my though process, so go right back to the computer. :)

    Best wishes for you book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, thanks for stopping by. I know what you mean. I get writer's cramp when I write on paper these days. Love my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, if i typed better that might work for me too, but i get distracted going back and making correstions. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Penny, Larriane, a day late, but wonderful interview. I loved getting to know you better Larriane, especially since you helped me so much in my beginning days with Muse. LOL.

    Wow your excerpt sucked me right in! Looking forward to reading It's Still Tomorrow, soon:)

    Congratulations! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sara, it's never too late. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Penny, Sara. so nice to see you.

    ReplyDelete