Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Interview with author P. L. Parker



Today, my guest is P.L. Parker who talks about not one, but two new releases, Absolution and Into the Savage Dawn.

1) Tell me a little about your book.
Actually, I have two releases coming soon, Absolution from Eternal Press and Into the Savage Dawn (sequel to Riley’s Journey) coming from Willow Moon Publishing.   Absolution is a novel about a half-vampire, Chloe, and her struggles to survive in modern times.  Into the Savage Dawn is the continuing saga of the time travelers thrust back 40,000 years into the Ice Age.  This one deals with the little tracker, Geena.

2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?
As to both, I love paranormal, especially time travel.  Riley’s Journey originated after I watched the Discovery Channel about the discovery of the frozen mummy, Oetzi, in the Alps.

I read vampire stories and have always wanted to try my hand at that genre.  I love reading them so it was a good choice.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
Part-time writer.  I work full time and my breaks are spent writing.  By the end of the week, I usually have 4 to 5 pages of single-spaced writing which I e-mail home to be added to my current manuscript.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
I have always been a story teller and my husband kept telling me to write my stories down.  So one day he went out and bought a computer and told me to get started.  This was in 2006.  I wrote Fiona that year and subsequently sold it to The Wild Rose Press in December of that year.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
Enjoyment.  Memories.

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
Paranormal romance.  I love paranormal, both light and dark, and no matter what I write, it generally veers toward paranormal somewhere along the way.

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Managing my time.  Between work, writing, promo, and keeping my house in order, there just doesn’t seem to be much time for relaxation.  I’ve gotten into a schedule of only an hour at night on the computer and then I’m done.  Time to put it all away and let my mind rest.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
I always try to put something into my stories that is fact-based.  Fiona was based on the discovery of the Urumchi Mummies.  Riley’s Journey and Into the Savage Dawn had a bit in there about the discovery of the ancient woman in Oregon.  Aimee’s Locket was based on the Oregon Trail and since I grew up and live in Idaho, there is tons of fact-based material in there.   As to Absolution,  little harder for this one.  But I did a lot of research  for the time period 1387 – 1450 and added what historical facts I could that fit within the parameters of the story.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
LOL.  About the only comparison I can give is female – and I use a lot of my own personal humor.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
Into the Savage Dawn – researched animals of the late Ice Age, taking into consideration the climatology at the time,  the existence of Cro-Magnon and Neanderthal occupying the earth at the same time, what tools the primitives might have had, etc., anything that would have bearing on daily survival.

Absolution – I researched the time period of 1387 – 1450 in England as well as France where Chloe is ultimately entombed.  Kings and Queens reigning at the time, language, clothing, etc.

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

Sometimes, especially if one of my sons is looking over my shoulder (they are all adult).

12) What is your marketing plan?
I advertise on The Romance Studio’s site quite frequently.  I have had ads in Romance Sells and through Romantic Times Book Reviews.  I advertise as I can afford.  I also blog as much as possible, send out flyers, business cards, that sort of thing.  Little tip, I buy cheap little notebooks from Oriental Marketing and print out stickers with my cover art on them and give out.  That way, any time someone uses the notebook, they see my books.

13) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
My website – www.plparker.com
My blog – www.plparker.blogspot.com
Facebook – P. L. Parker
Video for Absolutions - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0EHWSz054

14) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

General tip – write with passion.


Into the Savage Dawn:

Sent back 40,000 years to the ends of the last great Ice Age, the time travelers embark on a journey of survival and discovery.
    The brutal and cannibalistic, the Cro-Magnons discover the small band and attack.  Forced to flee from their high mountain encampment, the tribe heads into the dawn, towards the Pacific Ocean and their dream of ultimately reaching North America.
    Geena and Micah are left behind to lead the Cros away from the escaping tribe.  When he is killed, she finds herself terribly alone.  Severely injured and without hope or resources, she nonetheless is determined to survive and find the people.
    Survival of the fittest - that is the law of primordial earth.



Absolution:

The ancient tomb, rested in the heart of the French Vosges Mountains.  The over-eager research assistants had no inkling of the events they’d unwittingly unleashed when they found and released the young half-vampire--Chloe!
    Zaccarius, greatest of all the Slayers, is sent by the Council of Nine to seek out Chloe, determine her worth and, if necessary, render justice.  Enticed by the purity and goodness of Chloe’s mind, he becomes her protector.
“I came for you.”
“To kill me?” she asked, her voice breaking tremulously.
He laughed, a husky wisp of humor.  “No, little one.  Had that been my purpose, I would not be standing here.”
    Zaccarius falls beneath the army of the Dark Master, Jochad, and to stay the death of her lover, Chloe allows herself to be taken.  Ancient and dying, Jochad needs Chloe’s blood to reanimate-her blood in exchange for Zaccarius’ life.

9 comments:

  1. Good Morning Everyone. Thanks, Penny, for hosting me. I'll pop in from time to time and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Everyone - thought I'd posted but must have messed up. Anyway, I'll pop in from time to time to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Both projects sound awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patsy, I always enjoy your interviews and I love your books. You have such a vivid imagination. I thought of you and Fiona when I read about an exhibit called "The Silk Road" at the University of Pennsylvania. They had artifacts from along the ancient Chinese Silk Road, including a mummy of a red-haired Caucasion woman who was dressed in rich robes. It could have been Fiona. Can't wait to read your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi P.L., sorry this took a while to get posted. Comments needed to be moderated and I wasn't on my computer earlier today.

    Amanda and Cara, thank you for stopping by and commenting. It's always fun to hear from someone who has read the featured author's works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amanda and Cara for stopping by. Cara, I would have loved to see that exhibit because I am sure the mummy was probably one of the Urumchi Mummies. I am sooo jealous! The research for Fiona was by far the most interesting I'd have to say. Caucasian mummies in China - thrilling and provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice interview. Congratulations on not one but two wonderful releases.
    Joy Held
    Writer Wellness, A Writer's Path to Health and Creativity
    Who Dares Wins Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patsy, thanks for checking back in to respond to comments. I appreciate you taking the time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy, thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete