Monday, April 18, 2011

Interview with author Ciara Gold




Ciara Gold is here today to talk about her newest release, Dragon King.  Dragon King is the last in a three book series.  The first, Celestial Dragon was a best seller for Champagne Books for two years running and continues to do well. The second, A Noble Sacrifice won an Eppie in 2008 for best sci-fi futuristic romance.

1)     Tell me a little about your book.  Dragon King is a sci-fi futuristic fantasy romance that showcases  Tucker, a man plagued by past entities who leaves Earth to search for dragons. The heroine is one of three Deliphits, a shape-shifter scorned by her people. An attempted murder puts her in the path of the hero. Together they brave fierce Zarloke warriors to find the lost magic that will set Tucker free from the entities clamoring for control of his psyche.

BLURB:
               For decades, dragons held the essence of magic that fuelled a wizard’s power, but in 1007 AD, evil claims the heart of one such wizard while another seeks to save the magic.

Tucker Bolen considers himself a renaissance man of the thirty-first century and balks at society’s rigid cultural practices. After purchasing and using a reincarnation reader, he not only connects with his past entities, he also suffers their bid to surface and claim his soul. A collector and explorer, one of the entities leads him on a quest for dragons and a journey that ultimately leads to the greatest magic - love.

Cari Barock fears many things; never finding love, an assassin bent on taking her life, and dragons. When a stranger from a distant planet arrives, she is forced to face all her fears.  With her special Deliphit powers, she helps Tucker with his quest, never realizing that she is the key to unveiling his true powers. Will she sacrifice her heart so he can save her world?




2)     What gave you the idea for this particular story? The ending of Excalibur when Merlin summons the dragon’s breath for one final spell.  I thought, wow, what if the dragon’s breath meant even more. What if the dragon’s breath fueled all magic whereby wizards couldn’t exist without dragons? And thus the idea began.

3)     Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time? I have three jobs. I teach high school art full time, which gives me summers free. I’m also the art director for a local magazine that publishes quarterly. And I write, so I have a very tight schedule. I write mainly when work for the magazine is at a lull and at night between 9:00PM and midnight. I do the bulk of my writing during the summer months.

4)     When did you first know you wanted to be a writer? I’ve dabbled at writing forever, but I didn’t become serious until about six years ago when my good friend, Kim Lenox invited me to join a critique group. That little bit of fate changed my life forever.


5)     What do you hope readers will take from your writing? I want them to feel good when they finish reading one of my stories. I want them to enjoy getting to know my characters and their world.

6)     Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why? I write paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi futuristic and historical western. Right now, I’m having a blast writing in the fantasy genre.

7)     What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?  The hardest part for me is the promotion. Being so busy with my other two jobs makes it very difficult to “pimp” my stuff, but I do what I can, when I can.

8)     What about your book makes it special?  I try very hard not to be predictable though I know it’s not always going to happen for me. I love adding twists and turns when the characters allow me to.

9)     Where can people learn more about you and your work?  I have a website and a blog. I also have a facebook account.


10)  What are your current books out right now, and what are the books coming up for release?

Celestial Dragon
A Noble Sacrifice
The Keeper of Moon Haven
On the Silver Edge of Time
Sarah’s Brass Token
Julia’s Golden Eagle
Eliza’s Copper Penny
Kaitlin’s Silver Lining
Once Jilted

All of the above can be found at Amazon’s Kindle store and Barnes & Noble for the Nook.  POD versions are also available.


11)  Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?  Persevere.  Writing is not for the faint of heart. It’s hard work, but if you truly want it to happen, it will.

Thanks so much, Penny for allowing me to  visit  your blog.  



8 comments:

  1. Great interview, Penny and Ciara. Ciara, I'm going to have to read your book. It sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciara,

    I will be honest I've never heard of you until today. I always try to support people in my writer groups on yahoo.
    When Penny mentioned you were here today, I popped over here to support her blog. I'm really glad I did.
    I'm going to have to buy the first book and work my way to the third. I'm fascinated. I'm adding you to my series authors. Thank you for sharing. Wishing you much success.

    Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, so glad you could stop by. I know Ciarra will be thrilled she's found a new fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny,
    Great interview as usual. I also had never heard of Ciara, I find it interesting that you, Ciara, got your idea from the end of Excalibur. I am not a huge fan of futuristic fantasy, but I like the romance part.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, glad you enjoyed the interview. Ciara's books sound like they are a unique weave of future and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey all, popping in after a long day at work. And then after the day job, I also have a night job, but I did want to say hi and thanks so much for stopping by.

    The fantasy/futuristic genre is a blast to write so I'm hoping you do check out the books.

    Penny, thanks again for having me here today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciara, it was my pleasure, and I wish you success in your writing.

    ReplyDelete