Friday, May 27, 2011

Interview with author, Karina Fabian





Today, my guest is the multi-published and very talented author, Karina Fabian.  Karina is perhaps best known for her Dragon P.I. fantasy series.  Karina is here to talk about her eBook released in May, 2011 from MuseItUp Publishing, Perfect Ten.


1) Tell me a little about your book.

Perfect Ten is a humorous short story of fantasy romance:  When an insurance actuary lands a date with Coyote the Trickster, she discovers not every “Ten” is perfect.






2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?

Lea Schizas wanted to do an anthology about a dating service in Vegas, where she has a specific plot in mind and wanted variations.  I wrote "Perfect Ten" in my favorite universe, that of DragonEye, PI.    Unfortunately, the anthology didn't get sold, and she gave us the stories back.  I sent it around for a couple of years and when she started her own publishing company, MuseItUp, I figured it was the perfect home.  Fortunately, she did, too.

3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?

Full time.  I try to keep it to while the kids are in school, and have the day split by sections to write, exercise, lunch, market, and write again.  Sometimes that's tossed out the window, like in September-October when I got hit with a novel rewrite and anthology edit, the MuseOnline Writers' Conference and two short story edits.  Of course, that's when some family and professional issues hit the pan, too.  I was asking for a lot of prayers those months, but it all worked out.

4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

Somewhere around elementary school, though I didn't get serious until I had two toddlers at home and was out of the active duty Air Force and in the AF Reserves.

5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?

Laughter burns calories and reduces blood pressure, so I think they'll be healthier for having read my work!

6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?

Science fiction and fantasy are my strengths, though I've also written a comedic horror novel.  I write a lot of comedy.  On the non-fiction side, I do self-helps, educational planners, and interviews.  My father and I just published our first devotional, Why God Matters, and we're talking about doing one about the lives of deacons.  It's absolutely cool that my daddy and I are writing buddies!

7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?

Submitting my stuff.  Mostly, I'm just not good at seeking out markets. It's really a matter of willpower, so I jut make myself do it on a regular basis.

8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

Not that I know of.  It's kind of a scary thought.

9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?

I can be like Sheila sometimes--I tend to prefer to stay home than go on adventures. However, I've lived in Italy, driven cross country, and had some interesting adventures on my own, so I'm not timid like she is.  Also, I may have been a math major, but I could never be an insurance actuary.

I don't really want to be like Coyote, though I can get silly.

10) What kind of research did you do for this type of story?

I looked up some of the legends of Coyote the Trickster.  What a loon this canine was!  There was one legend where he gave his privates to Raccoon to hold while he went dancing with the girls.  He'd pinch them and they called him "dirty grandmother."  I alluded to it in my story.  (Racoon, incidentally, went and had some fun with Coyote's "loaner."  That part is NOT in my story.)

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?

I can write them, but I don't, even when it means leaving a story behind.  I want to write stuff my kids can read and still look me in the eyes afterward.

12) What about your book makes it special?

This one is a short story, actually, but my writing is unique in the twists I make to the common clichés.  Did I say twist?  We're talking cliché yoga!

13) What is your marketing plan?

The usual:  reviews and virtual book tours, websites and social networks, some signings and appearances. I do most of my stuff online.  When the kids are in college, I'll feel freer about attending conventions and traveling.

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?

www.fabianspace.com is where you can learn about all my books. I'm a pretty eclectic writer, so pick a genre off the menu, or look at all my books in the ABOUT section.

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?

Have fun. Find an interesting angle.  Meet people in the business.  Polish your craft.  And above all:  Do Not Take Rejection Personally. 




Karina, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to visit and share a look into your writing life.


BIO:  Karina Fabian’s mind is plagued by characters who insist on telling her their life stories. She writes them not only to share with others but to get them out of her brain!  The happy byproducts of these exorcisms are stories that make readers laugh, cry, and think. From dragon detectives to nuns in space to zombie exterminators, her tales amuse winners and win awards, including the 2010 INDIE for best fantasy.

7 comments:

  1. Karina,

    Thanks for the interview. Your books sound so fun. I like humor in my books. It makes for a good read.

    Wishing you much success in sales with this book.

    Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, thanks for stopping. Perfect Ten is another winner from Karina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Perfect Ten cover. And, the premise sounds interesting - not all tens are perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photo and your bookcover. Kudos to you for being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, this is a really fun read. If you like the cover, you'll love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joylene, thanks for commenting. Always good to "see" you here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karina, your stories sound like tons of fun, both for you to write and for us to read. Best of luck with your Perfect Ten!

    ReplyDelete