Friday, May 6, 2011

MuseItUp author, Erika Galpin


Today, my guest is MuseItUp Publishing's author, Erika Galpin.  Erika is here to talk about her urban fantasy The Chameleon's Bite.
1.     Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I was born in Kent, England, but don’t ask me anything about it because I immigrated to Australia when I was two. I do have memories of Adelaide, mostly involving red back spiders and snakes coming up the drain. To this day I can’t put on my shoes unless I’ve emptied them first. I moved to New Zealand when I was four and have been a Kiwi ever since.

2.     Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.

The Chameleon’s Bite, is the story of Jade Carver a part vampire, part Nordic Goddess with an indestructible sword that doesn’t always show up when she wants it. She meets her match in the Chameleon, however, a creature that can turn into anything or anyone, and it wants a taste of her power. As if things aren’t bad enough, Jade Carver’s love life is about to get a whole lot worse. Jade soon discovers the man she falls in love with, Dark Elf assassin, Aeron Blake, has been sent to kill her.


3.     What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book?

My father introduced me to writing; he dreamed of being published but sadly died before succeeding. So, it’s always been a part of my life. The push came from seeing a flier for L.Ron.Hubbard’s Writer’s of the Future Contest. I didn’t enter but it got me thinking about writing seriously.

4.     Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?

I brainstorm like mad, trying to come up with an underlying idea that interests or challenges me in some way. For instance, in my novel Blood Talisman, I asked myself what would happen if a witch placed a master vampire’s blood in an enchanted Talisman. After I’ve come up with an idea that grabs my interest I start outline a few early chapters to see if the idea goes somewhere interesting. Then I tend to outline chapters as I go. One day, I’ll be disciplined/patient enough to outline an entire book!


5.     What comes first: the plot or the characters?

There isn’t really one without the other. The plot doesn’t play out on its own; there are always characters who shape the plot in ways the author never imagined.


6.     How long have you been writing?

My early stories featured ghosts and monsters mostly. My teachers often asked me if I could try and write something that wasn’t scary! Basically, as soon as I started school I enjoyed scaring my friends or surprising them with unique and strange plots.

7.     Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you?

In The Chameleon’s Bite there are many fairy characters that inhabit a parallel fairy world known as Changeling City. To people this world I researched the different types of fairies, choosing some interesting types, like Spriggans, creatures than can grow to enormous size. In my story there’s no limit to their size making them worthy foes, and even better allies. I created a place called the Fairy Wildes, where the bad fairies go. I took the legend of a wood nymph and added a little danger by making them fire nymphs, creatures that make even Spriggans afraid. So, I basically take a legend and expand or change it a little.

8.     What books or authors have influenced your writing?

Simon R. Green’s Deathstalker series made me realize stories could not only be fast-paced and imaginative, but also fun. Most of my stories contain a mix of humor and action.

9.     What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?

Keep writing. Don’t stop. Start new projects. Even without feedback you find you’ll improve. With feedback (from critique/writing groups) you’ll improve in leaps and bounds. When you get to the stage where you’re ready to expose your work to others, make sure you find a critique group or partner that suits your writing style and ability. You don’t want partners who are so critical they leave you feeling utterly dejected to the point where you never write another word. Nor should they be too positive, otherwise you’ll never learn anything!


10.  Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

I love the white witch Lucretia. Now this is a character who’s torn. She started out life as a dark witch who, after a run in with the Chameleon, ended up being turned into the one thing she hates more than anything else: a do-gooding white witch. As a white witch she can’t possibly do bad, but she does find ways to break the rules. She constantly complains about having to do good all the time. I love her.

11.  Where can people learn more about you and your work?

I’m fairly active on Facebook.



12.  What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release?

My vampire romance, Blood Talisman, is available from Noble Romance. Battle Mage Helene Sharp has not seen her ex-lover, Master vampire Lee Corday, in over a year. When a series of murders lead right to his door, she knows she must confront him.

As Helene soon discovers, the unthinkable has happened. Lee’s blood has been stolen and placed in a powerful talisman. A spell has been cast over his blood and a dark witch now controls Lee’s entire brood. To make matters worse, she is using them to kill off the most powerful members of the Mage Council.

But the dark witch is after more than just power. Helene soon uncovers something she has only heard about in whispers. The power of the Druids, once thought to be dead, may be living inside an ancient artifact. And the witch means to use the vampires to get it.

If the witch succeeds she will be unstoppable. Not only will the supernatural community be at risk, but all of humanity, and the entire world, will fall.

Apart from Chameleon’s Bite, I have a novel called Summoning Darkness, involving an array of paranormal characters including a heroine who falls for an angel and a demon and can’t chose between them. Summoning Darkness will be out with MuseItUp Publishing in August.




Author Name: Erika Gilbert
Title:               The Chameleon’s Bite
Genre:             Humorous Urban Fantasy
Publisher:       MuseItUp Publishing

Synopsis:

All part goddess, part vampire Jade Carver wants is to slay the bad guys. Having an indestructible sword should help. If only it would show up when she wants it to. Being able to see the bad guy coming would be even better.

A deadly Chameleon terrorizes the city.

Capable of not only blending into its surrounding – it becomes its surroundings. The Chameleon has noticed Jade and it wants a taste of her. As if things aren’t bad enough, Jade Carver’s love life is about to get a whole lot worse. Jade soon discovers the man she falls in love with, Dark Elf assassin, Aeron Blake, has been sent to kill her.

Jade might find love in the arms of the mysterious elf. All she has to do it survive his deadly elf blad

8 comments:

  1. umm, a sword that only shows up when it wants to. now that would be frustrating. elf, goddess, vampire, what a combination. I'll have to read it just to see how you worked them all in together. oh, and of course to see if he kisses instead of kills her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great twist to a fantasy story, a finicky sword. Sounds like an intriguing book. Best wishes for its success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an imaginative story, Erika! Magic and romance, what more could anyone want? I'm guessing New Zealand has something to do with the magic. Best of luck with The Chameleon's Bite, and with all your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen and Pat, always good to "see" you here. Glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book. Good luck and I wish you many sales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janice glad you could stop by. I had the pleasure of doing some edits on The Chameleon's Bite and I loved it from beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, great interview! Like you, I tend to brainstorm ideas until something interests me and starts to germinate. Congratulations on your release!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, hope you get a chance to read this one. I think you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete