Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Interview with Erotic Romance Author Rue Allyn


1) Tell me a little about your book.
Penny, The Widow’s Revenge is an erotic romance of approximately 46,000 words.  I want to make clear up front that this book is not for anyone under 18 years of age. The story is not just very hot but also emotionally intense.  


2) What gave you the idea for this particular story?
Almost all of my story ideas emerge from “what if.”  I wondered what if a woman with very few resources wants revenge.  Who would she be?  What could cause her to want revenge and against whom?  If she has few resources, what asset could she use to obtain her revenge?  The story evolved from answering those questions and a host of others.


3) Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
At present I am lucky enough to be able to write full time.  I write 6 to 8 hours a day for 5 to 7 days a week.  The number of days varies depending on whether or not I’m on deadline.  Please don’t imagine that I’m typing my fingers to the bone for all of that time.  My time includes writing related activities, like communicating with fans, agents and editors; blogging; website maintenance (yes, I manage my own website); attending writers groups meetings; public appearances; and a zillion other actions that may not look like ‘writing.’


4) When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
I always wrote.  I think I was seven when I had a concept (admittedly a rather vague one) of what it meant to be a writer, and that’s when I wrote my first piece intended for an audience other than myself.


5) What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
Passion and intensity.  There is an axiom that “anything worth doing is worth doing well.”  I used to take “doing well” to mean “doing correctly.”  I no longer think that way.  Now I believe that ‘anything worth doing is worth doing passionately.’  Put another way, ‘put your whole heart into everything you do.’  Those who act with passion will always reap some benefit, even if that benefit looks like a mistake at first.  


6) Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
I’ve published novels in short humorous romance, erotic romance and historical romance.  I’ve written manuscripts in paranormal romance as well.  I love writing all of them.  For me it’s the story that fascinates, not so much how the story is classified.


7) What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Like most writers, I’m more of an introvert than an extrovert.  I like being with people, but I do find large groups a bit overwhelming.  I manage by keeping my interactions on as personal a level as possible.  When circumstances require that I be involved for several days with large groups, like at a convention, I schedule an hour or two each day away from the main convention activities.


8) Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
I based the setting for The Widow’s Revenge on my visit to Lake Tahoe several years ago.  Lake Tahoe is a beautiful and interesting place.  It straddles the California-Nevada state line.  That quality of straddling typifies the town for me.  Some parts are very like a tourist trap; some are more like a quaint village.  The same is true of Maggie’s character.  Underneath her mask of seductress, she considers herself to be a rather ordinary woman.  When I was deciding where Maggie would spend her week of seduction with Alec, Tahoe seemed perfect to me because of that duality.  The area is also relatively affordable, especially in the off season.


9) How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
I think Maggie is nothing like me, although we do some similar things.  Visiting Lake Tahoe is one example of a similar action, but we had very different reasons for going there.  I love dressing up and wearing masks just for fun.  Maggie does this too but her disguise is a practical necessity for achieving her goal.  


10) What kind of research did you do for this story? 

I double checked what I knew about Lake Tahoe and did a little research on grief.  

11) Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
Writing violence bothers me more than writing highly sexual scenes.  I’m not attracted to things that are gruesome and prefer to keep those off-stage so to speak. 
 

12) What about your book makes it special?
A woman’s grief is not a common springboard for an erotic romance.  That makes The Widow’s Revenge unusual.  Less unusual is the intensity of the emotional story.  Still, that emotional story is one of the most special qualities of The Widow’s Revenge.
 

13) What is your marketing plan?
I have several blog appearances scheduled for the end of May and beginning of June as well as a few interviews, and of course, my publisher and I are sending The Widow’s Revenge out for reviews.
 

14) Where can people learn more about you and your work?
I’d love to have people visit http://RueAllyn.com and leave me a comment from my contact page.  Or they can subscribe to my monthly newsletter by sending a message with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line to contact@RueAllyn.com.
 

15) Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
Write!  Join a writers’ group.  Write!  Learn everything you can about the book business.  Write!  Keep an open mind.  Write!  I think you get the idea. 



Penny, I thank you and your readers for this opportunity to talk about The Widow’s Revenge and writing in general.  I’ve had a great time answering your questions. 







BLURB: 



In a Lake Tahoe ski chalet, a mysterious widow plots to ruin the man responsible for her husband’s death, but love turns the tables in a hazardous game of passionate high stakes.

Maggie Winters blames Carter Enterprises CEO, Alec Carter for the death of her husband.  She believes that revenge is the only way to regain the joy she once had in life, including an active and adventurous sex life.  Lacking resources to match those of rich and influential Alec, Maggie plots lure Alec into a sordid sex scandal which will ruin his business reputation.  Just as he puts plans in place to rescue his company from the brink of disaster, Alec Carter becomes obsessed with a mystery woman who lures him into a weeklong sexual tryst.  Both Maggie and Alec are unprepared when lust promises to become love.  Both must learn to trust if they want the promised lifetime of love and loving.  

2 comments:

  1. Happy Release Day, Rue! Your cover is beautiful and the story description intriguing. I luves me some emo in my reads.

    #5 speaks to me as it was a favorite saying of my Granny's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, thanks for commenting and sending good wishes to Rue.

    ReplyDelete