Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Interview with Paranormal Author, Naomi Clark



Today my guest is Naomi Clark discussing her recent release, Demonized.  A while ago, I offered reviews of books on my blog, but I found I didn't have time to do justice to all the books people asked me to review.  I have to say, however, that I have read Demonized, and I loved it from start to finish. Naomi does an excellent job of creating her characters, setting up twists and turns, and moving the book forward in such a way, it's hard to put it down. 


Please tell us about yourself?
I hate this question! I never know what to say! Well, I live in Cambridge, UK, am a lowly office worker by day but a writer by night. I'd like to be a writer by day too, so I'm working on that. I like 80s cartoons, 90s music, and I own a snake called Ket who likes to hide in my hair.

Tell us your latest news?
I've just signed a contract with Eternal Press for a novella called The Necromancer's Apprentice, which I'm very excited about! It's an urban fantasy with a touch of romance, and is due for release this winter. Yay!

When and why did you begin writing?
I've always written. I don't really remember not writing. When I was a child I'd make little books out of folded paper and string and write stories about ponies.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I guess, because I've been writing stories since I learned to write, I've always considered myself a writer. It was what I did instead of going out to play with friends! Probably says a lot about me...

What inspired you to write your first book?
My first real book, as in a full-length novel, was inspired by Tamora Pierce's Immortals books. I adored them, re-read them over and over, and they made me move from messing around with poetry and short stories to wanting to write a proper novel.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Not as such … I like to think readers will find their own meanings in my work, and for me to hammer a message in feels like using my books as a soapbox, which is never my intention. People will always interpret you in their own way and that's how it should be.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?)
Nope – although it's impossible to leave my own experiences and feelings behind when I write, I never deliberately include real-life events or people.

What books have most influenced your life most?
I have to mention Tamora Pierce again, as well as Douglas Coupland's Generation X, which moves me every time I read it. The Narnia books were a big part of my childhood, and I think my love of fantasy and the supernatural was heavily influenced by those.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
I'm about halfway through Richelle Mead's Last Sacrifice – a YA vampire novel, and I love it! She's one of my favourite authors, so I went into it knowing I'd enjoy it. I love her voice and her take on vampire mythology, which is different from anything else I've read recently.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
All the time... too many to keep up with! I read Karen Mahoney's debut The Iron Witch this year and thought there was a ton of potential for a really exciting world there. I can't wait for the sequel. I also discovered Kalayna Price and LM Pruitt recently and have been eating up their books. Laura Bickle is one of my favourites too – her urban fantasy really stands out as being different.

What are your current projects?
I'm working on Night Breed, the third in my Urban Wolf series, and toying with a couple of novellas too. One is set in the same world as The Necromancer's Apprentice, the other is a much shorter novella about giant snakes!

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
I hate editing. It's hard to detach yourself from the work and look at it objectively, see what works and what doesn't and be disciplined about changing it. I rely on beta readers to help me through it!

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
Not especially, but if I do the best answer for me is usually to work on something else, which acts as a distraction from whatever the problem with the first project is. When I return to the first project, I usually feel ready to face it again.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Lots of reading!

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
The ending. I always have to rewrite my endings because I rush them in my excitement over having finished!

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Read a lot and write a lot. It's the only way to hone your craft. Beta readers and critique partners that you trust are also very helpful, especially when you're just starting out. They can be objective about your work when you can't, and you'll learn a lot from critiquing their work too.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Hi! Hope you enjoy my books!

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

My website/blog is: http://naomijay.blogspot.com/
I'm on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/#!/naomi_jay
And on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Naomi-Clark-author/122375344483965  (but I don't use FB much and am more likely to be found on Twitter!)


AUTHOR: Naomi Clark
BOOK TITLE: Demonized
PUBLISHER: Damnation Books
BUY LINK: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PYDO0U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0KFMGCC5TDBSNCD61PW0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

Naomi Clark lives in Cambridge and is a mild-mannered office worker by day, but a slightly crazed writer by night. She has a perfectly healthy obsession with giant sea creatures and a preference for vodka-based cocktails. When she's not writing, Naomi is probably either reading or watching 80s cartoon shows, and sometimes she manages to do all three at once.


http://naomijay.blogspot.com/NIGHT AND CHAOS available now from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment