Monday, June 20, 2011

Paranormal Romance Author, Claudy Conn



Today, my guest is Claudy Conn talking about her latest release.


Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why? This is where an author gets into the boring stuff. So instead I think I will tell you a little about my romance with my husband. We met at his horse farm and I thought he was the most handsome man I had ever seen. Blue-eyed Irishman, smokin’, and I think attraction is very important. Friendship is great, but maintaining passion over the years-- that takes attraction. I am a multi-published author and started out with Regency and historical romances. Took off for a few years when we moved from NY to NC with our horses. Now I write paranormal for the love of it!


Tell me about your current book which you are promoting. “Shee Willow-Legend” will be released on April 1, 2011 by Wings ePress. It is the second installment in my Legend series and will pick up the battle that began in “Spellbound-Legend”.

How long have you been writing? I wrote regency & historical romances for over twenty years. Time off, and now for the last year, I have been writing paranormal romance.

What got you interested in writing, and what inspired you to write your first book? Reading and the stories that have always made me daydream. Georgette Heyer’s Regency books turned me on to the genre--from there it wasn’t too far to take on the historical genre.

Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process? No outline. Tried it, but my characters come alive and do things I don’t expect—deviating from any outline I have asked of them.

What comes first: the plot or the characters? Both, they seem to evolve together, although I do have a basic plot in my head as I begin my characters’ stories.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why? Ah, in “Spellbound-Legend” which starts it all, I absolutely love my Fae Prince, Breslyn and my hero Julian. Maxine, my heroine makes me smile as she takes on everything I throw at her, but I feel for Shamon and the part that he plays. Gais is a traitor and a villain and although I understand how and why, I do dislike him. I can’t tell you who I like and dislike in “Shee Willow-Legend” as that would give away my twists and turns of characters.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? Ending it. I so hate saying so long to my people.

Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you? Research, for me, is all important. I researched Druids, Fae myths, the Tuatha Dé, Celtic folklore and have been lucky enough to have traveled to the settings where my tales take place. Every book is different and some take longer than others, but six--seven months is my usual timeline for writing/re-writing.

What are some of the challenges in your writing process? Discipline. Details, and grammar. I hate grammar.

Describe your writing space. We left our horse farm on Long Island and found a little piece of paradise here in NC for our animals and ourselves. When I get stuck with a scene or my heroine is being obstinate—I look out at our horses kicking up in the pasture or our wolf dogs chasing one another and it puts me back on track.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Swim, hike, ride, walk, garden, travel. My Bob would put ‘travel’ as his first priority.

What books or authors have influenced your writing? Georgette Heyer—because she introduced me to the world of Regency. I wrote over 40 mass market bestsellers and it was because of her influence on my early writing. Now, hands down, Karen Moning as she opened up the world of paranormal for me. I also love Dean Koontz, S. King, James Patterson, and Nora Roberts!

What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books? E-book sales will I think grow tremendously over the next few years. Its time has come, however, paperbacks on the shelves of brick and mortar will also lead in numbers. People in general have a need to go out, shop the brick and mortar and hold the books before they buy. I do as well.


What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for release?Spellbound-Legend” published by Wings ePress, was released in December 2010, and my website: http://claudyconn.embarqspace.com will take you to the different avenues of purchase. “Shee Willow-Legend” was released in April, and I have another paranormal which was contracted by The Wild Rose Press, “Darklove” about a black sorcerer and a witch that wants to destroy him, that should be out in the summer.

What is your marketing plan? Advertise! I think in the epublishing business there is no other way to present your work to the readers.

What advice would you give a new writer just starting out? Don’t give up if you are rejected. Different editors have different requirements and tastes, however, a critique partner could help you along with rewrites.

Where can people learn more about you and your work? http://claudyconn.embarqspace.com is where I give updated news every month, where you can purchase the book, also available at Wings ePress, Fictionwise and Amazon. I have a ‘like’ facebook page that you can access right from my website as well. Please, come on over and visit, give me your thoughts, your views, your likes and dislikes. I love to hear from readers.



My new mid-June release of Shadowlove-Stalkers, the first in my vampire romance series, is out now and available in Kindle at $3.99 and also in paperback. Barnes Cat. is discounting it at $8.60 in paperback. All Romance has it up, and it is already listed as a best seller in Fantasy romance!

4 comments:

  1. Great interview. Thank you, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joylene, glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your comments about e-publishing very interesting - as I am e-pubbed too.
    http://www.codyyoungblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cody, thanks for commenting. The eBook industry has certainly changed and is definitely the wave of the future.

    ReplyDelete