Thursday, July 7, 2011

Interview with author, Jane Bierce





AUTHOR: Jane Bierce
BOOK TITLE: Black-Tie Affair
PUBLISHER: Desert Breeze Publishing

Please tell us about yourself? I've had about fifteen sweet romances published in print or e-book form.

Tell us your latest news? My latest news is that BLACK-TIE AFFAIR will be released by Desert Breeze Publishing on July 1. I'm always excited when my work has a chance to reach a new audience.

When and why did you begin writing? I began writing to amuse myself in junior high school. When I went to college, two of my literature professors were very encouraging, but it was not until all three of my children were in school that I got serious about writing romance. 

When did you first consider yourself a writer? When I got my first contract -- from Harlequin American for BUILDING PASSION -- the first line of which read something like "Jane Bierce, hereinafter referred to as Author" -- well, that was enough affirmation for me!

What inspired you to write your first book?   My husband and I had just moved to Florida and he was asked to attend Builders Association meetings to represent the firm. The first half of the first meeting bored me, but the wives of the contractors -- who actually ran their family firms -- began talking about problems and the solutions they came up with. The plot for BUILDING PASSION came easily and was fleshed out over a few months by incidents other people recounted -- often not even directed at me.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? BLACK-TIE AFFAIR is a bit of a mystery, some action adventure, with a dash of glitz. But if there is a message, it is that two people, no matter how different their backgrounds, can form a loving relationship if they are willing to be honest and caring.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?) The events in BLACK-TIE AFFAIR are far from events in my life. I was spending a lot of time in the library of a junior college in FL and just for fun I pulled ideas together and started weaving a story using resources at hand.

What books have most influenced your life most? Aside from the Bible, The Witch of Prague by F. Marion Crawford, who wrote in the late 1800s. My husband brought home 31 of his books that the hospital library was discarding.  

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? I greatly admire Dixie Browning, but I've relied mostly on my own muse to keep going.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it? I've had to give up reading because my left eye doesn't cooperate. I have to save my sight for working on my own projects.

What are your current projects? The Hazlet Series (Awe-Struck EBooks) has one book out, and two sequels finished, with another trying to materialize. CRICKET'S MOON is available from Awe-Struck E-Books, and I hope sales will encourage CASSIE'S FLAME and CLEOME'S GARDEN into publication. I'm knee-deep in copying COME HOME TO LOVE from the Large Print edition to the computer to resubmit now that I have the rights back.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? Once I type "THE END" I rarely question my work, although I'm very open to editor's opinions.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? Being visually handicapped slowed my progress in reading but in seventh grade I finally caught on that the squiggles on the page made some kind of sense. Having a family that recounted events of the day around the dinner table fit into my new-found reading development, and I began thinking through story structure and began writing anecdotes. By the time I finished high school, I was making up stories.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing? At this point, it is my eyesight.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it? I've rarely had writer's block. Once an idea forms in my mind, it keeps after me to complete the work.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing? I spend a lot of time gardening and sewing; both activities give me "alone" time to think about projects.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? There are so many writers who have inspired me, or whom I've met through EPIC that again it's hard to choose. I am one of the original members of the organization that binds electronic authors together. We all had some pioneering spirit and courage to jump on the bandwagon before it had all its wheels moving.

What was the hardest part of writing your book? The hardest part of writing BLACK-TIE AFFAIR was keeping the backstory -- events that happened long before the main characters were born -- consistent and believable.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? I learned a great deal about several environments --Dutch history in Africa, American history in the Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries, international politics and law-enforcement and gemology.

Do you have any advice for other writers? Two things -- (1) Don't get discouraged and (2) Don't get discouraged.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention? I may schedule some events around Knoxville, TN, but at present I'm unable to travel very far.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them? BLACK-TIE AFFAIR is being published by Desert Breeze Publishing. The evening of the day I finished copying the book from print to electronic file, DBP put out a call for an edit-ready book to fill in a spot in their schedule. We exchanged some posts, and I was invited to send them the file. It took only a few days to go to contract.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.
On Facebook, type the name Jane Bierce. My website is in the process of changing domains. I don't use Twitter. My blog is Fribble's Blend on Blogspot.


 
Excerpt of BLACK-TIE AFFAIR:
 
Jean had never felt such an overwhelming, instantaneous urge to touch anyone in her life. Even at this distance, she felt an attraction that made her heart race for a moment before she fought to control it.
 
The man whose back she had been admiring turned toward her slowly. His profile showed a classic straight nose, a cleft chin and a hairline receding ever so slightly. . . . He was gorgeous.
 
Then he stared straight at her, one eye narrowing. The other might have narrowed, too, but it sported a shiner of heroic proportions. 

BLACK-TIE AFFAIR was originally published by Zebra Books in 1992.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview, ladies. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny,
    I cannot possibly express what this interview with my mother means to me today. I was missing her particularly this week, and happened upon this article by chance. It is so good to hear her voice, optimism, humor and determination in this piece.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynnora, I am glad you were able to connect with your mother through this interview. She seems like a delightful, talented woman.

    ReplyDelete