Thursday, July 14, 2011

Interview with author Roseanne Dowell



Today, my return guest is MuseItUp author, Roseanne Dowell.   Her latest release is Double the Trouble.

1)    Tell me a little about your book.
Double the Trouble is about - Kate Wesley coming back to Twinsburg Ohio after a five year absence. Not interested in a relationship after being jilted five years previously, she’s now pursued by her two men, her ex and a man with twin daughters. When she visits her aunt’s grave, she discovers a body and more complications arise, especially when the twin sister of the victim shows up.

2)    What gave you the idea for this particular story?
I’m not exactly sure where the idea for this story came from. I think it had something to do with twins. Since Twinsburg, Ohio isn’t far from me, it seemed the perfect setting. And, I have a fascination for cemeteries, not sure why or where it came from, so I had to visit Locust Grove cemetery. It was the perfect setting for a murder. Right in the heart of town, yet secluded enough no one can see it from the road. In fact, if you don’t know it’s there, or aren’t looking for the sign, you’ll drive right past it. The cemetery has a fascinating history, but I won’t go into that. As I walked around the small cemetery, the idea of a murder developed.  



3)    Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I’m a full time writer most of the time. Actually, I write when the muse hits, often in the middle of the night.

4)    When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
I think I was born wanting to be a writer. Seriously, ever since I could remember.

5)    What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
I hope I entertain my readers. 

6)    Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
I write romance, mystery/romance, paranormal/romance and just plain sweet romance.

7)    What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Lately for me it’s been writer’s block. I started a story over a year ago and wrote a synopsis first on the advice of a speaker at our local chapter of RWA. That’s not usually how I write. I hit a road block and it’s taken me a year to get past it. I still have trouble with that story sometimes.
Usually, I start something new or revise something old, which is what I did in this case. I revised and expanded several of my short stories. I also talk to my writing buddy and ask her for ideas or run ideas past her.

8)    Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.
No, not in this story. 

9)    How much is your protagonist like you? How different?
I don’t think she’s at all like me. She’s in her 30s , I’m much older. She’s single, I’m very married and have been for a good number of years. In fact, by time I was 30, I had all my children. Personality wise, she’s outgoing, I’m shy. 

10)What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
Besides visiting the cemetery and spending time in Twinsburg checking out different areas, I contacted several people from the city of Twinsburg, including the Chief of Police, who was very helpful answering my questions, The Executive Director of the Twinsburg Chamber of Commerce and people from the Historical Society. Everyone was more than willing to answer my questions.
 
11)Do writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you? Why or why not?
Actually, writing highly sexual scenes does bother me. I don’t feel these scenes are necessary for the book. In fact most times, they’re just thrown in. I know sex sells, but I guess I’m old fashioned and I like to close the door on these scenes. I’ll write the scene up to a point, but I think readers are smart enough to figure out what happened after.

12)What about your book makes it special?
Wow, that’s a tough question. I’m not sure I know how to answer that. It’s a romance/mystery set in a small town. I love the characters.

13)What is your marketing plan?
It’s hard to promote eBooks. I’m doing as many blog interviews as possible. Lea from MuseItn Up Publishing also does a lot of promoting for us and sets up blog tours and sends our books out for reviews.  I also promote on Face book and Twitter.

14)Where can people learn more about you and your work?
My website is: www.roseannedowell.com

15)Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
First and foremost, love what you’re writing. If you don’t love reading romance, don’t write it. Second, do your homework, once you have a completed manuscript, make sure you submit to the proper publishers or agents. Don’t submit a mystery to a romance publisher unless it is a romance with mystery elements. Third, don’t give up. If you truly love writing keep at it. Write something every day, even if it’s only for fifteen minutes. Fourth, read and study all you can about the elements of writing, especially showing the story, not telling it.





Synopsis of Double the Trouble
Katherine (Kate) Wesley has just returned to her hometown of Twinsburg, Ohio after living in self-imposed exile. Okay, it wasn’t really exile, more like hiding away because her fiancĂ© jilted her two days before their wedding. Just sent her a note and took off to Las Vegas. Kate couldn’t handle the looks of pity, so she left town too. But now she’s back and opening her own florist shop. Problem is, her ex is back too. Not that she cares, she’s over him. The fact her heart beats a little faster every time she sees him doesn’t mean a thing. Heck, it flipped twice as hard when she met her client’s brother. Not that she’s looking for a guy, she isn’t. She’s happy just the way she is. Footloose and fancy free. Life was fine until she visited her aunt’s grave. Well, mostly fine, besides two guys vying for her attention. But her florist shop is doing well. So there she is minding her own business and visiting her aunt’s grave. That’s when she finds the dead body.
It turned her life upside down. Between her ex, her client’s brother and the dead body, let’s just say life got complicated. When the twin sister of the murder victim showed up, things got real interesting.


Bio
Roseanne Dowell is an avid reader and writes various types of romance - paranormal, contemporary, and mystery. She has several books published as well as over 40 articles and short stories published in magazines such as Good Old Days, Nostalgia, and Ohio Writer and several online publications. Besides teaching writing courses for Long Story School of Writing www.lsswritingschool.com ,she also taught two writing courses for the Encore Program at Cuyahoga Community College.

Roseanne lives in Northeast Ohio and where she enjoys life as a wife, mother of six, grandmother of fourteen and great grandmother of one.  Besides writing, Roseanne enjoys embroidery and quilting, especially combining the two. 

6 comments:

  1. Great interview, Penny. I enjoyed getting to know Roseanne better. Roseanne, your "Double the Trouble" sounds eerily delicious. Love the cover too. Wishing you double success with all your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed Double the Trouble...Roseanne wrote in a lot of twos in the story and lots of action. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat, glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, always good to hear from someone who's read the book. I, too, enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I look forward to reading Double the Trouble very soon. I liked Roseanne's answer to question #11. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susanne, glad you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete