Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Author Annette Snyder Talks About Her Writing


Today my guest is contemporary romance author, Annette Snyder.  Her latest release is Drive Thru

AUTHOR:  Annette Snyder            
BOOK TITLE:  Drive Thru  --  Book Two in the Contemporary Romance, Packard Family Series
PUBLISHER: Whiskey Creek Press

Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?  

I live in a small town, have almost my entire life except for those college years when I lived in a city of 125K, and after that Houston, Texas where my middle daughter was born.   Because I enjoy the atmosphere of small towns and the way that the people always seem to come together even when they don’t always get along, I base my writing about rural areas and the bonds neighbors form. 

What comes first: the plot or the characters?
My characters, definitely!  Once I was at a museum reading exhibit stories about orphan trains and someone tapped me on the shoulder and said, “My name’s Sally.  Write about me.”  I turned around and no one was there but I had this amazing idea.  So I went home and wrote Sally Murphy, my third book and first published.  Many ideas come to me because I get a feeling from a character.  I wrote an essay about my great grandfather—you can read it on my website http://annettesnyder.atspace.com  I ‘felt’ him standing behind me one day and then I got the idea for Whistles.  So I wrote it and he’s since pretty much left me alone.  

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
During the winter months, motivation is a big thing for me.  I’m a heat girl so the drab of winter when everything is covered in ice and all the trees are bare isn’t very conducive to my writing ability.  Summer’s an entirely different story.  I write my best during months when the sun shines.
Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you?

And it takes me anywhere from one to two years to write a book.  I’m finding, the more I write, the longer it takes me to finish a novel.  My last work that’s coming out May 2012, Respectable Affair, took me a year and a half to complete.  My current work, which I’ve titled Going Twice, is about a quarter finished and I’ve been working on it for six months.  But, as I look back on my work, its getting better as I write more too.  I’ve learned to put new information about the publishing process into my work right away.  For example, I watch for point of view switches and tense changes and try and curb those as I write. With my first novels, I just wrote until I was done and fixed the mistakes later.

Describe your writing space.
Messy.  So’s my house because I spend a lot of time writing and less cleaning. Not Horders messy!  Just dusty with stuff laying around. 
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I love to travel.  I like going places I’ve never been and finding out the things that the locals know in that area.  That’s why I started my blog  http://annettesnyder.blogspot.com Each week, another author from another part of the United States tells readers about their area of the world and their work.  It’s a great way to learn about different spots of our country and about the writing talent we have in the USA.   Here’s a news flash, Penny is blogging there beginning September 11, 2011 for a week.    
What books or authors have influenced your writing?

My favorite novel is Gone with the Wind.  Margaret Mitchell did a fantastic job of telling a story about a small town girl and what she did to cope during hard times.  Scarlett traveled and changed but she always kept that circle of family as close as she could.  I was hooked the first time I read it in high school and have read it twenty times since.

What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?
E-books are huge and with the convenience of E-readers, the industry is going to flourish. They’ve started putting textbooks in e-format.  The cost savings alone for publishing without having the cost of printers and such is saving publishers and our ecosystem.  And to download a book in a few minutes instead of driving all over looking for it?  The internet has changed the way people read and its going to keep going.  There will still be paper copy books that I’ll have to have.  Those special titles that I just have to have on my shelf will always mean something to me.  For me, an e-copy of Treasure Island isn’t as special as the hardcover copy I found at a garage sale for a dollar…it’s a very early printing and it’s got that feel to it when I pick it up.  Can’t do that with an e-book. 

What advice would you give a new writer just starting out?
To be good at anything, you must practice.  If you read my first released novel, compared to the latter ones, you’ll be able to tell the difference in the quality of my work.  My characters have always been compelling but as I write and learn more about technique, my work gets better.  And also that its true what the big authors say about luck and perseverance—I’m finding that out.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?
My website has all my current information—purchase links, latest events and a way to contact me. Visit http://annettesnyder.atspace.com   Also, you can find out more at my blog as well as learn about other amazing talent  http://annettesnyder.blogspot.com



Blurb:  Economics shouldn’t play a part in love. For Marie Packard, fast food worker and single mom, it does.  Will her choice be financial security with debonair, action film star, Ellis Donifan or emotional happiness with Ben Sutter, appealing limousine driver? 


5 comments:

  1. Great interview. I'm from a small town too but lived in New Orleans for a long while. I'm back in a small town again and loving it. I find that cold weather inspires my writing the most, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Interesting and informative. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles thanks for stopping and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone who stopped in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette, it was a pleasure having you. Many more people visited than left comments. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete