Monday, August 29, 2011

Dark, Erotic Paranormal Romance!




Today's guest is Lisa Beth Darling, author of the dark, erotic paranormal romance, The Heart of War.
The Heart of War
An Adult Novel by
Lisa Beth Darling
Book Details:
Title: The Heart of War
Author: Lisa Beth Darling
ISBN:978-0615424682
Pages: 516
Publisher Moon Mistress Publishing USA
Genre: DARK Erotic Paranormal Romance

      1.  Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?
LBD: I'll be 45 come October, married 25 years (to the same man), we have two adult daughters, and still live in my hometown.  I used to call my genre "Horror/Romance"—well that was back in the 80s before "Paranormal Romance" came to be—the stories tend to be for adults who like to take a ride on the wilder side of life.

  1. Tell me about your current book which you are promoting.
    LBD: "The Heart of War" centers around Ares God of War and Magdalena MacLeod a half-Fey and half-Human woman.
    When we first meet Ares he's been in exile from Olympus for quite some time, most of the other Gods that once freely roamed this world are gone, and even though he keeps a stable of 8 women around him (and a handful of guards) he's really all alone in this world. That makes him very grumpy.  Then he meets Alena and things begin to change for him.  At first, she simply presents him with a puzzle; who is she, where did she come from, what does she want.  Once he realizes she's on the run from Cernunnos and might know something about the death of Artemis, Ares wants to use her so that he can get back to Olympus and reclaim his place.  Then he realizes, as much as he wants back what's his, he wants her more and he can't turn her over to the Olympians when they demand to have her.
That's where the fun really begins, the Olympians are so divinely dysfunctional that they're a hoot to work with and play around with.  We've got battling Gods and Druids and backstabbing Olympians and sex, lots and lots of sex.  Well, with Ares…can you blame me? He's HOT.

  1. Do you outline before you write? If not, what’s your initial process?
    LBD: I used to.  It was so bad, I had little scraps of paper EVERYWHERE with scrawled  notes written on them.  I don't do that anymore. I don't outline a single thing, I found that whole process was actually a hindrance to my creativity.  I spent more time trying to figure out what I'd scrawled down than I did writing.  I've found the best way to start a story is just to sit down and start it then let it take me wherever it wants to go.

  1. What comes first: the plot or the characters?
    LBD: A character pops up in my head, introduces themselves, tells me they have a story to tell and then we sit down and tell it.
       5.     Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?
LBD: Ares…on all levels.  I admit, I don't pity him so much anymore, he's grown up quite a bit!  I've worked with this character for about 16 years now, used him in all different types of stories but this is the first story he's 'starred' in—although he's always been quite the scene stealer.  I love him because he's everything I want in a man; tall, dark, handsome, powerful, aggressive, sexy as hell, and very intelligent. I hate him because he's a bit "old fashioned" (like 1000 bc 'old fashioned') in a lot of ways when it comes to the roles of men and women in relationships, and he's moody, and arrogant as all get out but not without reason. I fear him because, well, he's the God of War and I piss him off…well that just wouldn't be good for me.

  1. What was the hardest part of writing your book?
    LBD: Getting the time.  That's almost always the hardest part. I'm a wife and a mom, even though my daughters are adults they still live at home and they always want something. They never hesitate to just walk right in on me while I'm writing, plop themselves down in the chair, and stare at me until I acknowledge their presence then ask for me money or a ride or something.
      7.     Did your book require a lot of research? How long does it take to write a book for you?
LBD: I started "The Heart of War" in February, 2010, finished the rough draft in mid-July, 2010 and the edits were done by October, 2010 and it was on the market in November, 2010.  Not too bad for a 500 page novel.  I didn't do too much research just for this book as I've been doing a lot of Greek Mythology over the years and was fairly versed in what we were doing and where we were going.  I did look up a few odd facts here and there, I love finding things that I can play with or expand on and take poetic license with.

  1. Describe your writing space.
    LBD: My office is small, maybe 8x8, my desk takes up most of the space.  It's a huge wooden desk from the 1930s with all kinds of drawers and neat stuff.  On it, right in front of me, always sits my first letter from Stephen King, a picture of my Grandfather, two candles, incense, and 'Peanut' from Jeff Dunham. The walls are decorated with my photography. There's a huge steamer trunk in the corner filled with all types of family history and memorabilia and a large 5 shelf glass and wood bookcase that houses my Stephen King collection along with books by friends and research books.
  2. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
    LBD: This time of year I'm out in the yard. I used to do a big vegetable garden but we've had too much trouble with deer, rabbits, ground hogs, and many other critters.  These days I garden in pots on the deck and in an old row boat that's in front of the house. My cucumbers have done very well this year, I have two pots and they've given me over a dozen cucumbers.  My tomatoes are starting to ripen and we just had our first one last night. I love a fresh tomato right off the vine.

      10.  What so you see for the future of publishing and e-books?
LBD: In the fall when my local Borders closes there won't be a brick and mortal bookstore within 20 miles of my house.  At least 90% of my sales are e-books. I would say that the field is wide open and in the e-book market, heavily embedded in the e-book market, is where any author needs to be. 


  1. What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for release? LBD:  Books currently on the market are "Dream Weaver", a contemporary suspense/thriller romance novel, "The Limikkin" a short horror/erotica story, and "The Shame of Eminent Domain-Fort Trumbull" a photography book.  Mass market release of "Child of War-A God is Born" Part I of the II Part sequel to "The Heart of War" is slated for 10/31/11 with Part II "Child of War-Rising Son" slated for 12/31/11.  The last novel in the "Of War" series is "Spoils of War" which will release some time late in 2012. 
       12.  Where can people learn more about you and your work?
They can visit my site http://www.moonsmusings.com/lbdarling or they can come along for the wacky ride that is my life by reading my blog http://lbdarling.wordpress.com



What are your current books out right now and what are the books coming up for
release?
LBD:  Although I've written 11 novels and 30+ short stories, I only have three books on the market at the moment:
"Dream Weaver", is my first (and probably only) shot at writing a contemporary romance novel, it still has an edge as it centers around a stalker on movie set but it's still very mainstream.
"The Limikkin", is a short quick read and a different take on the old werewolf story
"The Heart of War" is my latest novel and the one we've been discussing here.


Where can people learn more about you and your work?
They can visit my site http://www.moonsmusings.com/lbdarling or they can come along for the wacky ride that is my life by reading my blog http://lbdarling.wordpress.com



Blurb: Inside the Heart of every Warrior breathes the Soul of a Hero--even within The Heart of War.
Meet Ares God of War, the greatest Warrior the world has ever known. He's moody, grumpy, dominant, ravenously sexual, and above all, built like a Greek God.

Suspected of killing his Daughter in-Law, Psyche, and long in exile from Olympus, the solitude of Ares' secluded Greek Isle is interrupted when Magdalena MacLeod a plucky little Fey washes up on his shore after believing she's been shipwrecked. It's not mere fate that has brought the unlikely couple together yet it may be what tears them apart.

Branded with a golden chastity belt bearing the mark of Cernunnos, Celtic God of the Forest and Death, Alena has been on the run from her husband the Great Horned God for 200 years.

When the Olympians discover her presence on Ares' island, they send Apollo to the island while Ares is away with orders to bring her to Olympus. With nowhere to run and strikes a bargain with the God of War--her virginity for his protection.

Ares sees a sweeter deal; her in his bed and himself back in his rightful place on Olympus among the Gods. If it means turning Alena over to Zeus afterward, well that's of no consequence to him...is it?

After Alena proves herself to the God of War in battle and in his bed, the Ares must choose between his Divinely Dysfunctional Family, his pride, and Alena.

4 comments:

  1. Great interview as usual Penny. I always find tips from the authors that I can try out for myself, and that's the best way to get started I suppose!

    Sarah
    sarah@sarahjnewton.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, thanks for stopping in. I hope you come back often as there are a variety of authors scheduled to appear here over the coming months. Glad you were able to find something useful in the interview.

    Lisa, my apologies for the formatting here. Not sure what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for having me here! The interview was a lot of fun to do. Don't worry about the formatting you did a wonderful job. NEWS--"Child of War-A God is Born" is now available in signed limited edition hard cover. http://www.moonsmusings.com/lbdarling/childofwar Paperbacks release on Halloween and e-books on Black Friday (11/25).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, it's a pleasure having you here. Thanks for the update! I'll also post a tweet for you.

    ReplyDelete