Saturday, August 27, 2011

MuseItUp Author, Christine I. Steeves



Today, my guest is MuseItUp author, Christine I. Steeves.  Ms. Steeves recently released her intriguing short, Midnight Find.

AUTHOR: Christine Irene Steeves
BOOK TITLE: Midnight Find
PUBLISHER: MuseItUp Publishing

Please tell us about yourself?
Well, I could just copy my author bio here .  Okay, so that’s a cop-out. Well, let’s see…how many years have you known me now, Penny? I’m an over-worrying, super-shy, rambling online Chatterbox who reviews, edits, and writes. I’m commonly known as ChrisChat.

Seriously? I try and stay away from seriousness. Unless it’s when I’m editing my authors.

Tell us your latest news?
Midnight Find is my latest news, really.  It’s my first short story eBook and I’m still shocked it’s happened.

When and why did you begin writing?
I’m 48 this September, so I guess you would have to go back to age 3. That’s when I learned GREEN EGGS AND HAM by memory.  Probably when I started making up my own “little plays” as my grandmother used to call them. Once I learned to write, well that’s when the imagination ended up on paper.

Why? Never gave it a thought not to write.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Never considered myself not a writer.  Neither did my parents or grandparents and from day one they’re the only ones that mattered. Hubby and daughter have always considered me a writer, too.

What inspired you to write your first book?
This one or my multi-crazy teenage mystery books that hopefully will not see the light of day LOL. Again, I just never considered not writing. It’s too much who I am.

Midnight Find came about because Lea Schizas put out a call for short stories based on romance with a twisted ending.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Never thought of that. Guess, in the end, it’s to follow your dreams. Don’t stop dreaming because life can hand you what you want, but not quite in the way you want it.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?)
Thank heavens no. Total imaginary fiction.

What books have most influenced your life most?
Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Famous Five, Green Eggs and Ham

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I have favourite authors whom I love reading and loved listening to; however, I can’t call them mentors because I’ve never talked to them and had them tell me straight about writing and about me.

However, fifteen years ago I stumbled across a writer’s group – Short Mystery Fiction Society – and found Babs Lakey, the founder of FUTURES Mystery Magazine now known as FMAM. She was the first online contact who looked after me and challenged me to stretch and reach others with my writing. Somehow, after new motherhood, I found Lea Schizas and have followed her around since, what 2006 or at least the first Muse Online Writers’ Conference, if not a little before that.

Both ladies are very dear to me because they kicked my butt enough times that I’m finally hearing their belief in me. Finally hearing a whole lot of people’s belief in me.

What book are you reading now? What do you like, or not, about it?
I review. I’m reading close to 10-15 books at a time LOL.  I’m a book addict and there’s rarely a book I don’t like or can’t find something positive about.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Look up every MuseItUp Publishing author to start. Go over to 4RV Publishing and find a new start there. And, basically anyone I’ve reviewed, LOL

What are your current projects?
Revamping my review site to individual genre review blogs…easier to update. Kicking the idea of starting my own blogtalkradio show…please stop me, that would be totally insane, but the daughter is bugging me to do it. It’s hard to say no to a 9 year-old. Maybe getting off my duff and into the writer’s chair and start writing more.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Nope. There comes a time when a writer needs to let it go, stop looking at it, stop worrying over it, and just let it be. If I said yes then it would never have seen the light of day because we all see something to change or tweak.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
Over active imagination and the nickname Chatterbox II


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Sitting my butt down and doing it.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
Yup, call it procrastination. Only solution is to sit butt down and do it.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
Reading .

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Louis L’Amour and Mickey Spillane.  Straight shooting story tellers. Clear voices, clear characters, flawed characters, simply told exciting stories.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Finishing it. Yup, procrastinated until right up to due date.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I can do it!

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Never stop. Stop listening to naysayers, they haven’t a clue what they’re talking about.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Thank you.
Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
Would love to, but at this time don’t know of any.

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
MuseItUp Publishing http://museituppublishing.com/
I followed after Lea Schizas and listened.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

Twitter: @musechrischat
Christine Irene Steeves – Writer: http://christineisteeves.blogspot.com/
 There will be a few new blogs for reviews, but that’s all being revamped.


EXCERPT:
Walking into the offices of Distinguished Dates was akin to walking in my grandmother's house. Those were my first impressions. Warmth; home; belonging; comfort. A place to relax. For a dating service, their interior designer sure got the at-ease feeling down pat.
Who wouldn't feel secure here? And then there's Marie. Soothing happiness just glowed from her.
"All right, Tina, have you found Mr. Right?" Marie asked, smiling as I returned from their viewing room.
"I believe I've found Mr. Let's See." I couldn’t help but laugh as Marie rubbed her hands in a mad scientist manner.
Joining my laughter, Marie took the tape and looked up the corresponding file.
"Ahh, Mr. 666sxx. Hmmm, now doesn't that sound devilish?  Well he's a redhead...even if it's only growing on his face...and you know what they say about us redheads."  Marie winked.
"Stop, Marie, if I laugh much more, I'll pee myself."  I hiccupped as I sat down opposite Marie’s desk. It’s like I’d known Marie my entire life. Which was just as well since I spilled my whole life story to the Distinguished receptionist.
"So, when would you like to meet Mr. Devilish?" asked Marie. "He's indicated any time, day or night.”
"Hmm, how about the stroke of midnight. Seems to fit with the devil image."
"Sounds good. Here’s to the start of something new...and fiery, we hope. I'll call and arrange for him to meet you...where?"
"The hotel lobby. I'll be the one in red."
"Right you are. Midnight at Desert Dreams."

13 comments:

  1. Well, I did warn you I was a rambler :) Thanks for having me today, Penny. Much appreciated and I'll be around on and off today to answer anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific interview and I'm adding your book to my to buy list. It's growing longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, it's my pleasure. We've "known" each other for quite awhile now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'm so glad you decided to submit your story to Muse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roseanne, your list must be ready to topple over with all the great books you've added. At least Chris' book is short

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, if you didn't add Nancy Drew I would have been very disappointed. That's about the only thing I cringe when I hear or read your name. LOL!

    And thank goodness Babs and I were able to kick your butt royally. You did it. You are now officially a published author. Kudos, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMBO...I'm dying to watch the ND DVDs tonight, too, Lea :)

    Thanks Roseanne, look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, too.

    Now my chief editor/publisher has put out another challenge to me, must work on it...nope can't tell.

    Penny...I'm glad you grabbed it to line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris! It's so nice to hear more about you. Did I mention you're one of my favourite editor's? Yes, it seems to me I've told you that a few times. Now I want the world to know my ebook has had your magic touch on it and wow, it's so much better because of you. Thanks, have a wonderful weekend, and keep up the great work! Oh, and congratulations on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, what a delightful interview!! I thought I knew you, but Penny found something more I didn't know about you:) Good luck with your new book. I think both you and Penny are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joylene and Barbara thank you for stopping by. I know Chris will appreciate your kind words (as Barbara, do I).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Joylene, this means more to me than you can imagaine. Thanks, Barbara, yup Penny got me to spill a few more tidbits and more of my silliness, appreciate dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely warm interview! Congratulations Chris. Fascinating excerpt. Love the cover too and your photo. 'Midnight Find' is on my to read list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy,you won't regret getting a copy of Midnight Find. Chris did a fine job of storytelling.

    ReplyDelete