Thursday, August 4, 2011

Romance Author, Hazel Statham


Today, my guest is romance author, Hazel Statham.  She's here to talk about writing and her latest release from Avalon Books, Consequence.

AUTHOR:  Hazel Statham
BOOK TITLE:  Consequence
PUBLISHER:  Avalon Books
BUY LINK:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0803476728%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIPY377N5GLCZS65A%26tag%3Dgettextbooks_uk-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D12734%26creativeASIN%3D0803476728&condition=new
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0803476728%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIPY377N5GLCZS65A%26tag%3Dgettextbooks_uk-us-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D386001%26creativeASIN%3D0803476728&condition=new
www.barnesandnoble.com


Please tell us about yourself?  
     I read my first Regency Romance, Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer, when I was seventeen and knew that at last I had found my era. 
     I had been writing since I was fifteen but had mainly been influenced by authors like Austen, the Bronte sisters and Sabatini. Georgette Heyer opened up the romance and elegance of the eighteen and nineteenth century and I fell head over heels in love with it.
     I devoured her books in very quick succession and wanted nothing more than to recreate my own Regency world.  History had always been my favorite subject at school and it was just one small step to recreate it in my work.
      I have been married to my husband since 1969, and we share our home with a lovely Labrador named Mollie, who is a real sweetie.  Apart from reading and writing historical novels, my other ruling passion is animals and, until recently, I was treasurer for an organization that raised money for animal charities.
    
Tell us your latest news? 
      It’s rather an exciting time for me at the moment as I have two new releases.  The first is Consequence , the first book in the Dukes of Lear trilogy and the second is actually the re-release of the last book in the series, My Dearest Friend (which has been out of print for over a year).  All three related books are stand-alone novels and can be read in any order.

When and why did you begin writing?    
    I started writing at the age of fifteen.  As to why?  I don’t really know.  It is many years ago now, and all I can remember is lying in bed writing until well into the night.  I had just left school and started to work, and the book was called Goldacre.  I often wish I had that book now so that I could compare my style, but after fifty years, it is long gone – probably lost when I left home to get married.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
     That’s a difficult question to answer.  Throughout the years, I have written solely for my own amusement, with never a thought of publication until a lecturer friend of mine pushed me into submitting to a publisher.  I asked him at what point you could consider yourself a ‘writer’ as, even now with six published works behind me, the title author does not come easily to me.  His reply was, be you published or not, as soon as you put pen to paper you become a writer and can call yourself thus.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?  (Has anyone ever realized it?)
     My books evolve solely from my imagination although I have derived inspiration from a dream, a line in a song and a conversation overheard.  The plots develop from a series of ‘what if’s’ and wherever my characters take me.

What books have most influenced your life most?
     The books that have influenced my writing the most are Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, most books by Georgette Heyer, plus many of the classics.  The dialogue and mores of the eighteen and nineteen centuries come easily to me and it has oft been joked that I was born in the wrong century as I have an empathy with these eras.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
     If I have to choose just one, then it has to be Heyer as she is the one who has had the greatest influence on my work.  I have read her books many times over and never tire of their wit and charm.  Her work is ageless and has stood the test of time.

What are your current projects?
     My current work in progress is called The Honorable Heart.   It tells of a young lord returning from war not knowing whether the young girl he married over the drum is living or not.  She disappeared when he was called to battle but hours after the wedding and he knows not whether to call himself husband or widow.

Do you ever have problems with writers block?  If so how do you get through it?
     When my muse deserts me, I find something else to do and wait for it to return.  This usually happens when I’m just dropping off to sleep and I have often been known to get up and write into the small hours.  Some of my best scenes have come to me this way.

What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
     I am an avid reader, but when I’m not either reading or writing, I love to spend time with my family. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

     I love to hear from my readers and promise to answer all my mail.  You can contact me through my website or at hazel.statham1@ntlworld.com 

Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
     I have four publishers, Avalon Books, The Wild Rose Press, Write Words Inc, and Wings ePress.  I was taken up by each publisher through their submission process, my books being available in hardback, paperback and e-book formats.

How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.

     You will find excerpts and reviews of all my books at my website www.hazel-statham.co.uk  (and also some  pictures of Mollie)  I also have a blog http://hazel-statham.blogspot.com/ but I have to confess to being the world’s worst blogger. Plus I have a newsletter which I only send out when I have publishing news.  To sign up for my newsletter, just send an email with subscribe as the subject, and I will add you to the list (I promise not to inundate your in-box).  You can unsubscribe at any time by just sending an e-mail.









BLURB

In the wake of a duel, Marcel Blake, the Duke of Lear, an infamous rake and gamester, leaves London to visit his cousin in Paris. Here he meets and falls in love with Julie, the British ambassador's daughter. Thinking she would be horrified if she learned of his reputation, Marcel fights the attraction; but when he is wounded while saving her from the unwanted advances of a less-than-desirable would-be suitor, Marcel finds that she returns his affections.

Ultimately, vengeance conspires against them; at their wedding reception, Julie is maliciously informed of Marcel's previous life of misdeeds, and she's led to believe that he only married her to please the king. With this insurmountable gulf suddenly between them, will Marcel prove his reformation, woo his wife, and find happiness with her, or is the sudden desolation in Julie's heart impossible to overcome? Have Marcel's games finally caught up to him for good?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting Hazel today. I've been a fan of her work for the last few years, and I've never read a book of hers I didn't like. I hope your readers will check this one out. It's one of my favorites.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel, you're an inspiration. Thanks, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for the interview and for allowing me to talk about my work.

    Hazel
    www.hazel-statham.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, it's my pleasure. It's always great to hear from someone who has read the author's books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joylene, glad you could stop by.

    Hazel, it's my pleasure. I enjoy learning about other authors and their work.

    ReplyDelete